The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   college officials help! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/38764-college-officials-help.html)

kbilla Tue Oct 09, 2007 07:44pm

college officials help!

I am working my first "college game" next week, it is just a juco pre-season scrimmage, but I am hoping that it leads to more opportunities..anyway I am looking just for some general advice, specific things that I need to be aware of going in. I have worked high school extensively and am aware of the rule differences between nfhs and ncaa, however, I wanted to get some more practical advice. Specifically if anyone can provide some examples, etc, of how the absence of the "airborne shooter" comes in to play I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

kbilla Tue Oct 09, 2007 07:47pm

sorry just to clarify this is a men's game..thanks!

diner30 Tue Oct 09, 2007 08:19pm

The answer is simple...

Go out and referee the way you always do. That is what got you to this level. If you go out and try to change what you do because it is a "college" game, you'll have problems. The airbore shooter almost never comes into play. Don't focus on that. Worry about calling the play and getting it right. If you have a strong crew, they'll help you out if that happens (which it won't). Call the plays as you see them and keep it simple.

Scrapper1 Tue Oct 09, 2007 08:21pm

Just a couple random thoughts. First, don't sell yourself short. It's not "just" a juco scrimmage. It's a college assignment, and that's very cool. Congratulations.

If you don't use the shot clock for high school games, then I'd suggest looking over the shot clock rules; and during the game, try to be aware of the shot clock as often as possible. It can be your friend (help with backcourt counts) or it can be your enemy (table screw-ups). Either way, it will pay to keep a close eye on it.

If possible, get there early and have a real pre-game with your partner(s). This will give you a chance to prepare mentally and will also give your partner(s) a chance to get comfortable with you a little bit.

Call your game. Don't be lenient because it's "just" a scrimmage. Call the fouls and the points of emphasis, because they'll want to know what they'll see when the season starts.

As far as the airborne shooter, the rule differs from the high school rule in that once the shooter releases the ball, a player control foul cannot be called. So if A1 jumps, releases a try and charges into B1, the basket will count if successful and B1 will shoot 1-and-1 if Team B is in the bonus. (In high school, this would be a PC foul and the shot would NOT count and B1 would NOT shoot free throws.)

I'm sure there's other stuff, but that's enough for one post. Others will have some ideas, too, I'm sure. Good luck!

rainmaker Tue Oct 09, 2007 08:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbilla
I am working my first "college game" next week, it is just a juco pre-season scrimmage, but I am hoping that it leads to more opportunities..anyway I am looking just for some general advice, specific things that I need to be aware of going in. I have worked high school extensively and am aware of the rule differences between nfhs and ncaa, however, I wanted to get some more practical advice. Specifically if anyone can provide some examples, etc, of how the absence of the "airborne shooter" comes in to play I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

I've never done a college game of any variety, so even the "just-a" type sounds good to me. But what I"ve done whenever I've moved up to "the next level" is to a) try to watch a couple of games at that level that day or the day before; b) as scrappy said, be sure you get a good pre-game. A real, complete, lengthy pre-game; c) practice some self-talk items ahead of time, especially to use for the first few minutes until your nerves settle down; d) have a friend or spouse or sweetie who comes to your game, watches and then goes out for a cold one with you afterward. Be sure they're all set to be congratulatory and celebratory.

Most of all, enjoy yourself. You worked hard to get there! You deserve it! Live into it, and have fun! That's what it's all about.

Mark Padgett Tue Oct 09, 2007 08:40pm

And...don't forget to address the coaches as "Your Majesty", bow down before them and only speak when spoken to.

Yeah, right. :p

rainmaker Tue Oct 09, 2007 08:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
And...don't forget to address the coaches as "Your Majesty", bow down before them and only speak when spoken to.

Yeah, right. :p

Wow, Mark, not the traditional advice about tucking in the whistle, staring at pants, or puking on shoes? Tell Merry to get your prescriptions refilled. You're losing what little of it you've got left!!

btaylor64 Tue Oct 09, 2007 09:26pm

kbilla,

When you get out there you are going to be in a whole new world. The play is going to be a lot faster therefore it will take a little while for your eyes to adjust to the speed and athleticism of the players. Don't worry you'll be fine. Just get the blatant obvious plays until you feel adapted. Also, tell your partners to not be afraid to come get a call, cause you'll be better off not calling and thinking "that was a foul" and letting your partners get it, rather than blowing your whistle and saying "dang, that wasn't a foul". In shorter terms, have a patient whistle and let plays start, develop and finish.

Good luck and congrats on getting the assignment! Remember you have to start somewhere. It's not a "just a" game, but it is your game and I know it means alot to you cause it shows that you are moving up.

Mark Padgett Tue Oct 09, 2007 09:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
Wow, Mark, not the traditional advice about tucking in the whistle, staring at pants, or puking on shoes? Tell Merry to get your prescriptions refilled. You're losing what little of it you've got left!!

I think I'm running on empty. Those mail order meds just aren't working and I followed the instructions about sending all that cash to that Nigerian government official.

BTW - she spells it "Merri" and is really touchy about it. With that "extra U" in your name, you probably know how she feels.

Also BTW - I spoke with Bruce today and he said he is ready to schedule our first ref meeting for TBA. You should be getting an email soon.

kbilla Tue Oct 09, 2007 09:46pm

thanks everyone for the great advice, i truly appreciate it!

MOofficial Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:12pm

I am in the same boat as kbilla. It is my 3rd year in the officiating business and my first in College. I have a college game at the D2 level next week and I also have 2 J.H. games that week as well. I dont know how well the adjustment will go. What are a couple of main things I need to tell myself that this is a college game with men, not a high school game with boys?

LouisianaDave Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:18am

I too am doing a Juco scrimmage this week, and I have a question what is the dress going to a scrimmage?

I know for a regular college games one must wear a suit, is it the same for a scrimmage as well. Thanks for any help in this matter.

Mark Padgett Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisianaDave
I too am doing a Juco scrimmage this week, and I have a question what is the dress going to a scrimmage?

Acceptable attire is a prom dress with heels and fishnets. Matching purse is optional.

http://images.buycostumes.com/mgen/m...iser/12876.jpg

LouisianaDave Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:43am

lol

jeffpea Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:46am

The biggest adjustment you will face at the college level is the speed, strength, and size of the players. Things will happen a lot faster than you're used to.

The best advice I can give is to have a very patient whistle. Contact that would knock some HS kids down, won't affect the play nearly as much as you might anticipate (think bug on a semi-trucks' windshield). See the play and react to the play - don't anticipate.

As for dress code, normal game attire is expected in my area. I wouldn't worry about pre-game jackets - I've always brought one, but never had to use it for a scrimmage.

Congrats on the assignment! Have fun and be sure to learn one newtip/trick/technique from your partners...we will all be better officials if we do that in every game we work.