The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 13, 2007, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Forgot pants!

Hey guys, going into a new season, I wanted to share this “embarrassing” situation with you. I figured what the heck; I can’t be the only guy to forget his pants!

My first game above 9th grade was last season. Doing a JV girl’s game. I ‘m pretty nervous plus I’m going into a hallowed venue for basketball. So I add extra stress to myself. Get to the locker room and I discover I forgot my pants! I am know panicking realizing my house is about 20 minutes away and I would not have enough time to drive home. Therefore I call home and no answer but I leave a desperate message on the machine to call me back. (Can you image what the wife thought when she heard this one?) Well I tell the AD my situation and I tell her I’ll have to wear what I have on. She said OK because there is nothing else I can do. Back in the locker room my partner shows up and he has extra pants but about 4 inches smaller in the waist. So forget about it. So I wear my charcoal gray flecked pants with cuffs and do the game. My partner tried to reassure me that all will be OK and just go out and have a good game. Well I was a bit self-conscious at first but soon got into the game and it turned out it was the easiest and best game I every did (in my humble opinion) in six years! Go figure!

Since then I triple check my bag for all my items and think back how lucky I was I wasn’t wearing my khaki chinos that day.
Old Sat Oct 13, 2007, 10:08pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Henry
Hey guys, going into a new season, I wanted to share this “embarrassing” situation with you. I figured what the heck; I can’t be the only guy to forget his pants!

My first game above 9th grade was last season. Doing a JV girl’s game. I ‘m pretty nervous plus I’m going into a hallowed venue for basketball. So I add extra stress to myself. Get to the locker room and I discover I forgot my pants! I am know panicking realizing my house is about 20 minutes away and I would not have enough time to drive home. Therefore I call home and no answer but I leave a desperate message on the machine to call me back. (Can you image what the wife thought when she heard this one?) Well I tell the AD my situation and I tell her I’ll have to wear what I have on. She said OK because there is nothing else I can do. Back in the locker room my partner shows up and he has extra pants but about 4 inches smaller in the waist. So forget about it. So I wear my charcoal gray flecked pants with cuffs and do the game. My partner tried to reassure me that all will be OK and just go out and have a good game. Well I was a bit self-conscious at first but soon got into the game and it turned out it was the easiest and best game I every did (in my humble opinion) in six years! Go figure!

Since then I triple check my bag for all my items and think back how lucky I was I wasn’t wearing my khaki chinos that day.
I've been working HS sports since 1987 and a few weeks ago, I forgot my shoes for a football game. Lucky for me I've been wearing black running shoes, so I don't think anyone outside my crew noticed.
Old Sat Oct 13, 2007, 10:21pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I always make sure I have 2 full uniforms in my bag. I have heard too many pants stories. And now I have heard one more.
Old Sat Oct 13, 2007, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

A spare pair would be a good idea. One of my partners last season had the zipper go out in his pair during the game.

Rita
Old Sat Oct 13, 2007, 11:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C
One of my partners last season had the zipper go out in his pair during the game.
Man - that can really hurt!!! Ouch!!!!

Oh - you're talking about pants. Never mind.
Old Sun Oct 14, 2007, 01:22am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Man - that can really hurt!!! Ouch!!!!

Oh - you're talking about pants. Never mind.
Gee Mark, most of us don't have a zipper on our pair.
Some sort of surgery to cure aging?
Old Sun Oct 14, 2007, 01:53am
Esteemed Forum Member

No Pants And More

When I first started officiating, I carried both a a hanging garment bag, for my pressed garments, and a regular bag, for everything else. Once, for a junior varsity game, at a distant school, I carelessly left my hanging garment bag at home, and only brought my regular bag. I had shoes, socks, underwear, and whistles for the game, but no pants or shirt (we didn't wear jackets back then). It wasn't a major problem. Back then we wore a gray with blue trim IAABO shirt, and we had the choice of wearing black or blue pants. I happened (just luck, I often wore brown, or gray, dress pants to the game) to be wearing blue dress pants that night, so that wasn't a problem. We always wore gray T-shirts under our gray IAABO shirts, so I simply wore the gray T-shirt by itself. After that game, I went out and bought a bigger bag, and now carry everything in one bag. I even have a typed, laminated, checklist, that a family member can use to pack my bag in case I pick up a last minute fill-in game, when my bag isn't in the car. I will confess that, especially at the beginning of the season, I will take a peak at that checklist when I pack my bag. Maybe that's why I'm taking two medications for my obsessive compulsive disorder.
Old Sun Oct 14, 2007, 10:55am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Forgot socks once......no one noticed. But you talk about blisters! ARGH!! I was hobbled for a week. Now as others have alluded to, I "over pack" too!
Old Sun Oct 14, 2007, 12:05pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Gee Mark, most of us don't have a zipper on our pair.
Old Sun Oct 14, 2007, 12:12pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Old Sun Oct 14, 2007, 12:13pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Where's the zippers?
Old Sun Oct 14, 2007, 12:18pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Where's the zippers?
Sorry:

Old Sun Oct 14, 2007, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

extra bag

A trick I use during the season (basketball) is, I pack a extra bag ,small one, with one of each item I need for my next game,shoes, socks, pants, under shirt & shorts,b&w shirt, whistle,lanyard.& shower gear. The trick is the bag Never,ever leaves the car,it`s a emergency back-up,just for situations like leaving pants or shoes a home.

P.S. When packing your gear for your game, start at you feet,and work your way up,ie.shoes socks, pants etc,etc.
Old Sun Oct 14, 2007, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

I'm meticulous when packing, so I've never forgotten equipment, but I have been in a hurry and not packed towels and a clean pair of underwear. Minor issues.

When football season started this year, I couldn't find my watch. My wife had done some "cleaning" and swore she didn't see it. So, I worked a couple of early games and all scrimmages without it, but told her to go get me a new one as I missed it greatly on the field. She looked again in all the stuff and found my original one -- after swearing on umpteen bibles she never came across it.

However, I can't get too mad at her. I forgot my down indicator for a jr. high game a couple of years ago (going to the game dressed) and she brought it out to me.

I would advise a checklist. I laminated a card with high school on one side and college on the other (different shoes and jackets). Now, my roller bag is big enough to keep everything in there but I still have a master list.
Old Sun Oct 14, 2007, 04:37pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
When I first started officiating, I carried both a a hanging garment bag, for my pressed garments, and a regular bag, for everything else. Once, for a junior varsity game, at a distant school, I carelessly left my hanging garment bag at home, and only brought my regular bag. I had shoes, socks, underwear, and whistles for the game, but no pants or shirt (we didn't wear jackets back then). It wasn't a major problem. Back then we wore a gray with blue trim IAABO shirt, and we had the choice of wearing black or blue pants. I happened (just luck, I often wore brown, or gray, dress pants to the game) to be wearing blue dress pants that night, so that wasn't a problem. We always wore gray T-shirts under our gray IAABO shirts, so I simply wore the gray T-shirt by itself. After that game, I went out and bought a bigger bag, and now carry everything in one bag. I even have a typed, laminated, checklist, that a family member can use to pack my bag in case I pick up a last minute fill-in game, when my bag isn't in the car. I will confess that, especially at the beginning of the season, I will take a peak at that checklist when I pack my bag. Maybe that's why I'm taking two medications for my obsessive compulsive disorder.
I don't think anyone here suspected such a thing.