The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
There was a tournament game this year where one team held the ball for most of the first half, then blew the lead. The other team held the ball for most of the second half, then blew the lead. I think it was in Wisconsin or possibly Minnesota. Almost everyone who watched that game would be in favor of a shot clock.
One game...out of how many?? Thousands? Even tens or hundreds of thousands.

I've maybe seen this sort of play 2-3 times in over a dozen years.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to kiwiref Send a message via Yahoo to kiwiref
Shot clock in HS game? Why not?
Perhaps we need to change the rules a little first. No more technical fouls for coaches. Instead, the officials would activate a 35 second shot clock, giving any official at the court 35 seconds to run to the changing room, grab a gun, return and shoot the HS coach. Gets the message to coaches, entertains the audience, and makes officials feel better about the game.
I like the idea of having a SHOT clock in HS games.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 10:04am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiref
I like the idea of having a SHOT clock in HS games.
Tom, your screen name is 'Kiwi', so maybe you are from outside the United States. But there is so much gun violence in this country that your post -- although obviously intended in humor and/or sarcasm -- just strikes me as a subject that is not really a joking matter.

(I'm not angry or offended, just offering you some information if you want it.)
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust

I agree with this. It really doesn't happen much at all. The only times I've seen a stall play used were when, (a) the defense won't "come out" on the ball, and the offense is annoyed, and (b) the offense is stalling because they have no clue how to score, and the defense is giving them a little break (no running clock, remember).

I might be okay with a shot clock if it was at 45 or 50 seconds, but I think for a lot of girls' teams, even varsity, 35 seconds is just too short.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust

This was a state championship game on television. Don't know how many other games had this type of stalemate, but it was like watching the old Yule Log show, only without the Christmas carols.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I agree with this. It really doesn't happen much at all. The only times I've seen a stall play used were when, (a) the defense won't "come out" on the ball, and the offense is annoyed, and (b) the offense is stalling because they have no clue how to score, and the defense is giving them a little break (no running clock, remember).

I might be okay with a shot clock if it was at 45 or 50 seconds, but I think for a lot of girls' teams, even varsity, 35 seconds is just too short.
We have had a 30-second shot clock in girls HS basketball in Washington State for more than 10 years. In my experience, it makes the game much more enjoyable for the players and fans, even for small school contests. For me, it makes it more enjoyable to ref as well.

It really makes you evenmore aware of the game clock as an official, especially at lower level games when a clueless parent is running the game and shot clock. Very good for your clock management skills when you move to higher levels.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This was a state championship game on television. Don't know how many other games had this type of stalemate, but it was like watching the old Yule Log show, only without the Christmas carols.
So, changing a rule to improve 1 game is worth making 50 others worse? For teams that are not able to get something done in 35 seconds to be pushed to launch a shot, any shot, just so they don't run out of time doesn't improve things. HS sports is not (solely) about the championships. It about teaching and experiences too. Some teams that may not compete for the title may gain/learn a lot more for working and being patient. I'm not willing to support forcing every player and every team to be run-n-gun. Some schools just don't have the horses to do that. The game should allow a variety of styles such that a smart, patient, and precise team has a chance to win a game against a team of race horses.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Massachusetts uses a 30-second clock for all high school games. There are shot clock issues every year...but the same can be said for every other aspect of the game that we have to manage. It is absolutely no big deal to officiate a game with the shot clock. It rarely comes into play in a meaningful way....and when it does....we deal with it.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Some of the New England Prep School leagues use a shot clock (35 seconds for boys, 30 seconds for girls) in certain games.

The main problem I've seen is that there are no written rules for how the shot clock should be handled, so sometimes things get decided on the fly.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Tom, your screen name is 'Kiwi', so maybe you are from outside the United States. But there is so much gun violence in this country that your post -- although obviously intended in humor and/or sarcasm -- just strikes me as a subject that is not really a joking matter.

(I'm not angry or offended, just offering you some information if you want it.)
You've got to be kidding me. Learn to laugh a little. GEEZ!!
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There was a tournament game this year where one team held the ball for most of the first half, then blew the lead. The other team held the ball for most of the second half, then blew the lead. I think it was in Wisconsin or possibly Minnesota. Almost everyone who watched that game would be in favor of a shot clock.
The Division 1 (largest schools) championship game in Wisconsin did have ONE team hold the ball. However, it was not for most of the first half or second half. They held it for a little less than 3 1/2 minutes in the middle of the second quarter.

The second half neither team held the ball.