The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

NFHS Mechanics Question

According to NFHS mechanics regarding a Technical Foul..... Does the calling official report the Tech or the Non calling official? What are (if any) the instances when the Non-calling official reports the infractions?
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
According to NFHS mechanics regarding a Technical Foul..... Does the calling official report the Tech or the Non calling official? What are (if any) the instances when the Non-calling official reports the infractions?
The official who calls the foul reports the foul. I can't think of any instances where the non-calling offical reports a Technical foul.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 07:57am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Joe is correct: the calling official. There is no "piggybacking". Piggybacking is the relaying of a call to be reported to the table to another official for the purposes of saving time/energy/whatever.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree with the other responses. You *might* be thinking of situations in which the calling official doesn't stay tableside. Depending on the game situation, the reasopn for the T, the personality of the coach and offficial, and the experience of the official, the official who calls a T might choose to go away from the table, rather than to the table.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Joe is correct: the calling official. There is no "piggybacking". Piggybacking is the relaying of a call to be reported to the table to another official for the purposes of saving time/energy/whatever.
Speaking of piggybacking, are we allowed to piggyback the timeouts? If so, or if not, do any of guys piggyback the timeout? I recall several years ago this might've been a mechanics change.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
Speaking of piggybacking, are we allowed to piggyback the timeouts? If so, or if not, do any of guys piggyback the timeout? I recall several years ago this might've been a mechanics change.
It's not an official mechanic.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Just curious... why would you want to piggyback a TO?
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 09:04am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev

I can tell you why I'd like to do it.
I'm lazy.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Speaking of piggybacking...I'm officiating Jr. Hi. Girls' right now and I get all these "good 'ol boys" that don't/can't run and don't follow any kind of mechanic. It gets a bit frustrating, but I just work on my mechanics and allow them to do what they wish.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 10:02am
Lighten up, Francis.

The calling official reports the technical foul, but it is suggested (it might even be the official mechanic now) that the non-calling official tell the head coach that he's lost the coaching box privileges (if applicable).

If it's a player's fifth foul, the same thing should happen. The calling official reports it, then the non-calling official notifies the coach and starts the 20 second timer, then notifies the player.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 10:37am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
You should not pass timeouts to partners. You might give the wrong information and that might cause a lot of confusion and undue confrontations with coaches. Take your own timeouts to the table like you would with any foul.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 10:38am
certified Hot Mom tester

Years ago, I had a buddy tell me about a situation that happened in one of his wreck league games. A coach got so mad at his partner for calling a T that he punched him in the mouth and almost knocked him out!

I only relate this because this is the one time of which I am aware that the non-calling official reported the technical.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
The calling official reports the technical foul, but it is suggested (it might even be the official mechanic now) that the non-calling official tell the head coach that he's lost the coaching box privileges (if applicable).

If it's a player's fifth foul, the same thing should happen. The calling official reports it, then the non-calling official notifies the coach and starts the 20 second timer, then notifies the player.
Thanks for all the responses. I thought I had read somewhere that the non-calling official would report. Perhaps I had confused that with what Scrapper is stating here, of the non-calling official telling the head coach. I thought the reference was in the Officials Manual, but I do no have my book.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev

I had an "R" tell me in a pregame a couple years ago it saves time and legs. Me being a younger man at the time, legs didn't need much saving. But I can see where he was coming from. IF the new trail is administering a throw-in after a made basket and the thrower calls time out piggybacking the TO to the center who happens to be on the table side doesn't hurt much. Plus, I think at one time this was allowed. I would have to defer to the elder statesmen of the forum for that.
Old Wed Oct 03, 2007, 12:39pm
certified Hot Mom tester

When I saw the thread topic "NFHS Mechanics Question", I thought you were asking where we get our cars repaired.

Can you tell I ran out of meds?