The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
"That's a coaching issue."

Someone here recommended this reply when a coach complains about the inequality of foul calls. I like the sounds of this comment. It is not a wise-crack, it is short, and it gets the point across. So I have worked on remembering it so I could use it at the crucial moment.

And all my effort payed off Friday night, when I had the chance to use it. Girls JV, early in the fourth quarter, Team A ahead by 10. Coach B gets time out, asst coach A huddles girls, Head coach A comes to me and says, "Look at the fouls, we've got 9, they've got only 4." Here's my big chance!!! I say very straight, no sarcasm, no accusation, "Coach, that's a coaching issue." Unfortunately, I said it a tad too loud (although I didn't try to!). Some of the Team A dads, who apparently were feeling adolescent, started laughing at Coach A, "A coaching issue! Ha, she got you there, coach!!" "Oooo, coach what are you going to do about that?" "Hey, coach, you've got issues!"

I thought, "Dog-doo-doo!!" and sure enough, he was steamed at me and let me know for the rest of the game. Doggone it!! I don't think I'll ever get the hang of this coach management thing...
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 12:38pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Try this Davism next time, Juulie:

Howler Monkey: Look at the fouls. We've got nine and they've got only four.

You: There's a simple explanation for that. Your team has fouled nine times and their team has fouled four times. You see, we match the foul count to the number of times a team has fouled. For instance, if your team had fouled ten times instead of only nine, then the foul count would be ten to four, instead of nine to four. It works the same way on the score. The score count is reflective of the number of points each team has scored. I know that sometimes that's a difficult concept to grasp, but I've tried to explain it plainly.

See, coach. That's how it works. I hope that clears it up for you. If there's anything else you don't understand, just ask. I'll be just as helpful.

Then puke on his shoes.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Mark that is funny but i don't think the coach would let you get all that out. How about, coach your players are too fast for the other team to foul.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Someone here recommended this reply when a coach complains about the inequality of foul calls. I like the sounds of this comment. It is not a wise-crack, it is short, and it gets the point across. So I have worked on remembering it so I could use it at the crucial moment.

And all my effort payed off Friday night, when I had the chance to use it. Girls JV, early in the fourth quarter, Team A ahead by 10. Coach B gets time out, asst coach A huddles girls, Head coach A comes to me and says, "Look at the fouls, we've got 9, they've got only 4." Here's my big chance!!! I say very straight, no sarcasm, no accusation, "Coach, that's a coaching issue." Unfortunately, I said it a tad too loud (although I didn't try to!). Some of the Team A dads, who apparently were feeling adolescent, started laughing at Coach A, "A coaching issue! Ha, she got you there, coach!!" "Oooo, coach what are you going to do about that?" "Hey, coach, you've got issues!"

I thought, "Dog-doo-doo!!" and sure enough, he was steamed at me and let me know for the rest of the game. Doggone it!! I don't think I'll ever get the hang of this coach management thing...
Nicely done! I would say that if the kids in the audience
(the dads) laughed at your response they also heard the
coach's comment to you. He was trying to show you up,
you one-upped him, I bet you a dollar he'll never do that
again. At least to you.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 01:04pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Mark that is funny but i don't think the coach would let you get all that out. How about, coach your players are too fast for the other team to foul.
Hey - when I talk, coaches listen - kind of like the old E.F. Hutton commercials.

However, if you think that was too long, try this:

You: Coach, you're wrong. You've got ten. WHACK!
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

comeon mark, you are making me laugh. Why don't you just say "Whack".
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 02:55pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
comeon mark, you are making me laugh. Why don't you just say "Whack".
Because the way I signal it, it's ALL CAPS, baby!
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 03:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

That is why I love 3 Person. You can always get a chance to tell a coach what you need to and no one knows what you said but the coach and yourself. In 2 Person, it is very difficult to even get the chance without making a big scene or letting everyone in the gym know that you are putting them in there place. And better yet, you can say more and explain more so the coaches can shut up.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 04:36pm
In Memoriam

Question kinder and gentler

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

That is why I love 3 Person. You can always get a chance to tell a coach what you need to and no one knows what you said but the coach and yourself. In 2 Person, it is very difficult to even get the chance without making a big scene or letting everyone in the gym know that you are putting them in there place. And better yet, you can say more and explain more so the coaches can shut up.

Peace
Rut,
No doubt about it. It's a lot easier to work things out with a 3-man.

What's with the signature line? You on Meds?

mick
Old Tue Jan 22, 2002, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Re: kinder and gentler

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

mick
Oh man, you just crack me up!
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mick
Quote:

mick
Seriously, I think it's just a reflection of the more thoughtful, restrained Rut (which I happen to like very much, personally) that we've seen in the past several months.

On the other hand. . .ROFLMAO!!

Chuck
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: kinder and gentler

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:

mick
Seriously, I think it's just a reflection of the more thoughtful, restrained Rut (which I happen to like very much, personally) that we've seen in the past several months.

On the other hand. . .ROFLMAO!!

Chuck
Ah, it's just a matter of time until his sig reads:

Take one game at a time, one day at a time and one moment at a time. Your days will be a lot happier once you
realize that I am right and I don't give a d@mn what
you think!

Just bustin' on ya Jeff! It's all in fun! (Hey, does he
look mad?)

Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

For The record- It was me who suggested this response . I have used it successfully for 40 years!
Pistol
Old Wed Jan 23, 2002, 11:21pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Try this Davism next time, Juulie:

You: There's a simple explanation for that. Your team has fouled nine times and their team has fouled four times. You see, we match the foul count to the number of times a team has fouled. For instance, if your team had fouled ten times instead of only nine, then the foul count would be ten to four, instead of nine to four. It works the same way on the score. The score count is reflective of the number of points each team has scored. I know that sometimes that's a difficult concept to grasp, but I've tried to explain it plainly.

See, coach. That's how it works. I hope that clears it up for you. If there's anything else you don't understand, just ask. I'll be just as helpful.

Then puke on his shoes.

Mark, I like it, but you are correct, it is a difficult concept for a coach to grasp. Coaches still cannot grasp the concept that officials do not care who wins and who loses the game. If coaches were smart to grasp this concept they would be officiating instead of coaching so they would not have to worry who wins and who loses.

My response to a coach's comments about team foul totals is this: Tell you players not to foul.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 02:20am
Do not give a damn!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mick
Quote:

Rut,
No doubt about it. It's a lot easier to work things out with a 3-man.

mick
No Mick, just a way to remind myself that you take each moment as it comes. Do not worry about the past, and definitely do not worry about the future.

Peace