The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 21, 2007, 02:22pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I don't grant TOs because they are just "game interrupters." Plus, I then don't have to worry about these mechanics, or notifying the coaches when they are out of TOs (I take care of it at the pre-game conference)

Oh, oh, oh...I get it. That's sarcasm. See, I'm getting better at this type of thing...too bad it wasn't making fun of M&MGuy though...
Old Fri Sep 21, 2007, 02:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Oh, oh, oh...I get it. That's sarcasm. See, I'm getting better at this type of thing...too bad it wasn't making fun of M&MGuy though...
He was, you just didn't recognize it.
Old Fri Sep 21, 2007, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nothing goes over your head, does it?
Old Fri Sep 21, 2007, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Nothing goes over your head, does it?
Actually, everything does.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Sep 21, 2007, 02:33pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Actually, everything does.
Everything but Chuck. Deej is 1/96 of an inch taller than the Chuckster. That's why he calls him "Shorty".
Old Fri Sep 21, 2007, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Everything but Chuck. Deej is 1/96 of an inch taller than the Chuckster. That's why he calls him "Shorty".
Oh, yea, that's right.

I must've overlooked that.

Sorry.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Sep 21, 2007, 02:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I don't grant TOs because they are just "game interrupters."
Half times are too. And don't get me started about free throws.
Old Fri Sep 21, 2007, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Half times are too. And don't get me started about free throws.
No fouls == No FTs. Plus, you don't have to worry about fouling out the "star player" who is the only reason we even bother to have a game.

Half times are important. Management gets a chance to sell concessions and the officials get a chance to play "can you top this?" when discussing previous games.
Old Fri Sep 21, 2007, 03:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
No fouls == No FTs. Plus, you don't have to worry about fouling out the "star player" who is the only reason we even bother to have a game.

Half times are important. Management gets a chance to sell concessions and the officials get a chance to play "can you top this?" when discussing previous games.
Don't forget, no fouls = no switching. That means less moving, and easier money.

I like this game.
Old Fri Sep 21, 2007, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
What about freezing field of vision and retrieving ball after partner has completed his report?
Is that gone in the new mechanics?
I didn't detail the "timing" of the actions...of course we must observe the players until they've cleared the floor and there is no longer a risk of something happening.
Old Fri Sep 21, 2007, 03:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I don't grant TOs because they are just "game interrupters." Plus, I then don't have to worry about these mechanics, or notifying the coaches when they are out of TOs (I take care of it at the pre-game conference)
Ha !
Old Fri Sep 21, 2007, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, I posted the link. However, nowhere on that page or in the Officials Manual am I able to find your instructions as written by yourself though. Again, where may I find something from the FED that agrees with your statement. Until you can come up with something, you sureasheck can put me in the group that can't understand it. That's because I can't find it.
All I've done is combine the throwin spot rule with the throwin coverage mechanic and and applied it to the timeout mechanic. It's not all in the timeout mechanic because the rest is already covered in existing rules/mechanics.

It says "Administering Official - throwin spot".

Just what does that mean? The official who'll be administering the throwin will go to the spot (maybe not "immediately" but after observing the players and/or reporting the timeout).

Now, who is that? Well, that is clearly covered in other parts of the mechanics manual and that hasn't changed in at least 15 years. I don't have it with me to quote but the spot of the throwin is determined by where the ball is when it becomes dead. Who administers the subsequent throwin is determined by that throwin spot....FC endline or lead's FC sideline is the lead's throwin, all else is the trail's.

Since the timeout procdure says nothing about changing who is responsible for administering throwins on the various lines, it remains as it would for any other stoppage.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Sep 21, 2007 at 03:29pm.
Old Fri Sep 21, 2007, 03:32pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Oh, yea, that's right.

I must've overlooked that.

Sorry.
Oh sure, Bob comes in strong the last few days and all you can do is come back with short jokes...it's just sad, I tell ya, just sad.

Of course, if you read carefully, I've offered nothing other than praise of others who have been sarcastic...oh well. I'll crack some old jokes next week for JR.
Old Fri Sep 21, 2007, 04:08pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
All I've done is combine the throwin spot rule with the throwin coverage mechanic and and applied it to the timeout mechanic.
Yup, that's what you did. Now tell me where I can find the FED language authorizing you to do so. That's all I want to know.
Old Fri Sep 21, 2007, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Oh sure, Bob comes in strong the last few days and all you can do is come back with short jokes...it's just sad, I tell ya, just sad.
That's ok - it's always good to fall back on the old standby's.

My two cents on the topic - granted, I don't work as many 2-person games any more, but I would think the main issue would be to avoid any confusion and possible "holes" in coverage between partners. The obvious thing would be to pre-game this with your partner. We know where we're going to end up (administering official at throw-in spot, other official along the center line), but make sure you're both on the same page with regard to who is reporting and what the other official will do during the reporting process. Perhaps, in some instances, it would be ok to "pass off" the TO reporting to your partner, while you stay with the players and the ball. Some officials will never do this, but as long as you cover it in the pre-game, it won't become an embarrasing moment during the game.

(Used with permission.)