The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 04:12pm
Esteemed Participant

Legal Guarding Position

Don't know if there has already been a thread on this or not (and too lazy to search), but I was just reading thru the NCAA Rules Changes, and see that NCAA-W has revoked the ruling that a defender under the basket did not have legal guarding position - in order to make LGP the same for any player anywhere on the court...hmmm - wonder why they had the big change of mind on that one?
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Don't know if there has already been a thread on this or not (and too lazy to search), but I was just reading thru the NCAA Rules Changes, and see that NCAA-W has revoked the ruling that a defender under the basket did not have legal guarding position - in order to make LGP the same for any player anywhere on the court...hmmm - wonder why they had the big change of mind on that one?
I think it was because it was being called inconsistantly. How far is "under the basket" without lines? When did a north-south drive become an east-west drive, in which case the defender could have LGP under the basket? It was a good idea, and I understood the theory, but in practice it was hard to administer. Now we don't have to add in the additional conditions about exactly where the defender is standing and where the drive originated.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 04:38pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
I think it was because it was being called inconsistantly.
Naw, it was because it was dumb and illogical right from the git-go. Only a stoopid monkey or the NBA would try to impose different rules on how to call the exact same play dependent on where that play occurred on the court.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Naw, it was because it was dumb and illogical right from the git-go. Only a stoopid monkey or the NBA would try to impose different rules on how to call the exact same play dependent on where that play occurred on the court.
Well, there's that, too.

Actually, the theory was that a player guarding a drive down the lane for a layup, who was directly under the basket, was only at that spot to draw a charge; they would not be in a position to block the shot or play any other type of defense. However, on a drive along the baseline, the offensive player could shoot or pass, and therefore the defender standing in the exact same spot has more defensive options for being in that spot.

Now, I already hear you typing your responses, and I'll tell you right up front I agree with your points already. But, as you've also stated, (many times), it's our job to call the rules as written, and not to call the game how we think it should be called. Right?

(Btw, I know it was being called inconsistantly because I was calling it inconsistantly...)

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 05:02pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

But, as you've also stated, (many times), it's our job to call the rules as written, and not to call the game how we think it should be called. Right?
Well, there's that too.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 06:23pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
NCAA-W has revoked the ruling that a defender under the basket did not have legal guarding position - in order to make LGP the same for any player anywhere on the court...
I think that it will also be emphasized to the men this year that block/charge will be called per rule, without regard to position on the court.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There definitely was a previous thread on this change. I'm sure because that is how I learned of it. For some strange reason I can't locate that thread with the search function. Perhaps someone else can find it and post a link.
Old Fri Sep 14, 2007, 06:33am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
There definitely was a previous thread on this change. I'm sure because that is how I learned of it. For some strange reason I can't locate that thread with the search function. Perhaps someone else can find it and post a link.
I mentioned it in the NBA block charge thread, up until then I had not heard it mention.

As I mention before, I am disappointed and I think it is a step in the wrong direction. But with the turmoil in the NBA officiating community, I can see the women's committee pasting on this part. Not to mention that their game is not as physical as the men, especially at the Pro level where it was necessary to implement a restrictive area.

I can also see how this could be called inconsistently too. I was hoping the men's would incorporate this into their language and begin to move away from this unwritten rule.
Old Fri Sep 14, 2007, 06:58am

Quote:
Actually, the theory was that a player guarding a drive down the lane for a layup, who was directly under the basket, was only at that spot to draw a charge; they would not be in a position to block the shot or play any other type of defense. However, on a drive along the baseline, the offensive player could shoot or pass, and therefore the defender standing in the exact same spot has more defensive options for being in that spot.
Thank you for providing this explanation. I oftened wondered why it was acceptable to stand under the basket if the drive was from the baseline. Good stuff....!
Old Fri Sep 14, 2007, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
I mentioned it in the NBA block charge thread, up until then I had not heard it mention.
No, this was a few months ago, and Jurassic had some comments on the change.