View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Naw, it was because it was dumb and illogical right from the git-go. Only a stoopid monkey or the NBA would try to impose different rules on how to call the exact same play dependent on where that play occurred on the court.
Well, there's that, too.

Actually, the theory was that a player guarding a drive down the lane for a layup, who was directly under the basket, was only at that spot to draw a charge; they would not be in a position to block the shot or play any other type of defense. However, on a drive along the baseline, the offensive player could shoot or pass, and therefore the defender standing in the exact same spot has more defensive options for being in that spot.

Now, I already hear you typing your responses, and I'll tell you right up front I agree with your points already. But, as you've also stated, (many times), it's our job to call the rules as written, and not to call the game how we think it should be called. Right?

(Btw, I know it was being called inconsistantly because I was calling it inconsistantly...)

(Used with permission.)