The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 12, 2007, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

4.19.9 False Double Foul Review

My rules study group struggled with a fasle double foul question. Here's an attempt at clarification that I have not presented yet. Any thoughts?

During our review of the rule 4 practice test, we deferred discussing a question related to Rule 4.19.9, false double fouls. Let’s look at the rule, an explanation, some related cases and then get back to the question.

Rule 4.19.8 . . . Double fouls:

a. A double personal foul is a situation in which two opponents commit personal fouls against each other at approximately the same time.
b. A double technical foul is a situation in which two opponents commit technical fouls against each other at approximately the same time.

Rule 4.19.9 False double fouls
A false double foul is a situation in which there are fouls by both teams, the second of which occurs before the clock is started following the first, and such that at least one of the attributes of a double foul is absent.

My notes:

A key to the false double foul is a second foul occurring before the clock starts after the first foul. Prior to the first foul, the clock could be started or not, the ball could be dead or live. When the first foul occurs, the ball becomes dead and the clock will stop. However, the ball will become live before the clock starts per rule 6.1 which identifies the three ways a ball becomes live (jump ball release, free throw disposal, throw in disposal).

Thus a false double fall could involve personal fouls (live ball or airborne shooter, contact) or technical fouls.

Cases (from 2006-2007 case book): 4.19.9a,b,c

Modified Question from 2004 NFHS Test Part 2:

Following a false double foul, the ball is put in play with a throw-in under the point of interruption method if the last foul was a double personal foul.*

Correct answer is True. Remember that fouls are administered in the order in which they occur and the last foul was a double foul. Please refer to rule 4.36 and be aware that the point of interruption method may result in a free throw or a throw in (including an alternating possession throw in).

*Because the point of interruption rule (4.36) was introduced in 2005-2006, the question is modified to replace “alternating possession procedure” with “point of interruption method”.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2007, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanja
My rules study group struggled with a fasle double foul question. Here's an attempt at clarification that I have not presented yet. Any thoughts?

During our review of the rule 4 practice test, we deferred discussing a question related to Rule 4.19.9, false double fouls. Let’s look at the rule, an explanation, some related cases and then get back to the question.

Rule 4.19.8 . . . Double fouls:

a. A double personal foul is a situation in which two opponents commit personal fouls against each other at approximately the same time.
b. A double technical foul is a situation in which two opponents commit technical fouls against each other at approximately the same time.

Rule 4.19.9 False double fouls
A false double foul is a situation in which there are fouls by both teams, the second of which occurs before the clock is started following the first, and such that at least one of the attributes of a double foul is absent.

My notes:

A key to the false double foul is a second foul occurring before the clock starts after the first foul. Prior to the first foul, the clock could be started or not, the ball could be dead or live. When the first foul occurs, the ball becomes dead and the clock will stop. However, the ball will become live before the clock starts per rule 6.1 which identifies the three ways a ball becomes live (jump ball release, free throw disposal, throw in disposal).

Thus a false double fall could involve personal fouls (live ball or airborne shooter, contact) or technical fouls.

Cases (from 2006-2007 case book): 4.19.9a,b,c

Modified Question from 2004 NFHS Test Part 2:

Following a false double foul, the ball is put in play with a throw-in under the point of interruption method if the last foul was a double personal foul.*

Correct answer is True. Remember that fouls are administered in the order in which they occur and the last foul was a double foul. Please refer to rule 4.36 and be aware that the point of interruption method may result in a free throw or a throw in (including an alternating possession throw in).

*Because the point of interruption rule (4.36) was introduced in 2005-2006, the question is modified to replace “alternating possession procedure” with “point of interruption method”.
Do you have a question or are you just offering some thoughts and trying to get a better understanding of this concept?

BTW the sentence from your notes that I have highlighted in red is not always true. The ball does not necessarily become dead with the first foul. There could be a try for goal in the air or some other reason that keeps it live.

Here is an example:

FALSE DOUBLE FOUL
4.19.9 SITUATION A: A1 leaps high and is fouled by B1 as he/she taps the ball which subsequently goes through A's basket. A1 fouls B2 in returning to the floor. RULING: This is a false double foul. The foul by B1 does not cause the ball to become dead. However, the player-control foul by A1 does cause the ball to become dead and also dictates that no goal can be scored. Since the goal is not scored, A1 is awarded two free throws for the foul by B1. No players are allowed along the lane as Team B will be awarded the ball following the last free throw. If the last throw is successful, the throw-in is from anywhere along the end line. If the last throw is unsuccessful, the throw-in is from a designated spot nearest the foul. (4-1; 4-11; 4-41-1; 6-7-7 Exception c: 6-7-4; 7-5-5)
Old Wed Sep 12, 2007, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Do you have a question or are you just offering some thoughts and trying to get a better understanding of this concept?

BTW the sentence from your notes that I have highlighted in red is not always true. The ball does not necessarily become dead with the first foul. There could be a try for goal in the air or some other reason that keeps it live.
Thanks Nevadaref. I'm trying to craft a clear and accurate presentation of the concepts to share with my rules study group. Your pointing out exceptions to the ball becoming dead on the first foul is appreciated and will be incorporated by changing the wording from "the ball becomes dead" to "the ball may become dead".
Old Wed Sep 12, 2007, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

A "double foul" (and a "simultaneous foul") happen at (approximately) the same time. They "offset". The rest is just semantics.

My advice is to forget the "false double foul" category. It's just two separate fouls. They happen often, and are adminisstered correctly (as two separate fouls, each carrying their own penalty). No need to try to categorize them.

While the above might not be 100%, it will get you through almost all situations and form the understanding you need for any weird exceptions that are talked about ad infinitum on these boards.

One other thing -- it's dashes for rules (4-19-9) and dots for cases (4.19.9A)

Last edited by bob jenkins; Wed Sep 12, 2007 at 08:39pm.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 02:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
A "double foul" (and a "simultaneous foul") happen at (approximately) the same time. They "offset". The rest is just semantics.

My advice is to forget the "false double foul" category. It's just two separate fouls. They happen often, and are adminisstered correctly (as two separate fouls, each carrying their own penalty). No need to try to categorize them.

While the above might not be 100%, it will get you through almost all situations and form the understanding you need for any weird exceptions that are talked about ad infinitum on these boards.

One other thing -- it's dashes for rules (4-19-9) and dots for cases (4.19.9A)
I agree with everything that Bob wrote here, except that I will note that he is for this comment:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
The rest is just semantics.