The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 10:18am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
Read the rule. "...the team not in control..." The rule says nothing about team control. On a throw-in, the thrower has control of the ball. The statement in the rule book has nothing to do with team or player control at this point. If I'm the thrower, I have control. If you are my opponent, you are a defender.

Rule 4-12-6--"Neither team control nor player control exists during a ....throw-in...."

If a teammate committed a foul before the throw-in ended, would you really call that foul a team control foul?

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Mon Sep 10, 2007 at 10:20am.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 10:22am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Read the rule. "...the team not in control..." The rule says nothing about team control. On a throw-in, the thrower has control of the ball. The statement in the rule book has nothing to do with team or player control at this point. If I'm the thrower, I have control. If you are my opponent, you are a defender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

Rule 4-12-6--"Neither player or team control exists during a dead ball throw-in...."

If a teammate committed a foul before the throw-in ended, would you really call that foul a team control foul?
We're not talking about team control. We are talking about one team being in control, thus making a player on the other team a defender.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 10:32am
In Memoriam

Quote:
We're not talking about team control. We are talking about one team being in control, thus making a player on the other team a defender.
Please tell me that you aren't serious.

A team is NOT in control when a thrower has the ball OOB during a throw-in. Neither team. That's a basic.

I'm talking about what the rules say. Nothing else. The rules say that neither team is in control during a throw-in. The rules also say that neither team can establish team control until one of their players establish player control. When there's no team control, there's no defender.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 10:42am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:

Quote:

A team is NOT in control when a thrower has the ball OOB during a throw-in. Neither team. That's a basic.

I'm talking about what the rules say. Nothing else. The rules say that neither team is in control during a throw-in. The rules also say that neither team can establish team control until one of their players establish player control. When there's no team control, there's no defender.

The above quote was cut and pasted from the original thread. It was from Tony. Ask him if he was serious.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 10:50am
In Memoriam

Quote:
The above quote was cut and pasted from the original thread. It was from Tony. Ask him if he was serious.
I can't believe he was serious either then.

Simply holding the ball does not equate to team control ever. A player can stand at the scorers table at half time holding on to the game ball. That doesn't mean that his team now has control and the other team is on defense.

If there's no team control, there's no defender.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 11:07am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
A player can stand at the scorers table at half time holding on to the game ball. That doesn't mean that his team now has control and the other team is on defense.
Or...a player can take his favorite game ball to bed with him during nap time and rub it up against his face along with his favorite blankie. Believe me, if he does that, he's definitely not in control.

Damn - I've got to find those meds.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 12:24pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Or...a player can take his favorite game ball to bed with him during nap time and rub it up against his face along with his favorite blankie. Believe me, if he does that, he's definitely not in control.
In that case he might need a defender....a public defender.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
I can't believe he was serious either then.

Simply holding the ball does not equate to team control ever. A player can stand at the scorers table at half time holding on to the game ball. That doesn't mean that his team now has control and the other team is on defense.
This is exactly right except under ncaa rules for throw in.
Quote:

If there's no team control, there's no defender.
Well, here it gets trickier. Certainly for the purposes of time out only "the offense" can be granted a time out during a throw in. So thinking in terms of offense/defense helps for at least this situation. Not sure it helps elsewhere though, not worth bothering with IMO

But I agree with your over-all message.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 01:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Well, here it gets trickier. Certainly for the purposes of time out only "the offense" can be granted a time out during a throw in. So thinking in terms of offense/defense helps for at least this situation. Not sure it helps elsewhere though, not worth bothering with IMO
Good point. But.....that's why I think that they wrote the TO rule as only to be granted when the ball is in control of or at the disposal of his/her team. The thrower has the ball at his disposal, without control(using rules semantics for the definition of control).

To be quite honest, I really don't know what difference all this verbiage makes anyway. We're still gonna call the play the way the rules lay it out, and the way that the rules lay it out, it don't make no nevermind who is called the defender on this particular play. It's a violation no matter which of the 10 players does it.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Good point. But.....that's why I think that they wrote the TO rule as only to be granted when the ball is in control of or at the disposal of his/her team. The thrower has the ball at his disposal, without control(using rules semantics for the definition of control).

To be quite honest, I really don't know what difference all this verbiage makes anyway. We're still gonna call the play the way the rules lay it out, and the way that the rules lay it out, it don't make no nevermind who is called the defender on this particular play. It's a violation no matter which of the 10 players does it.
Agree on both of your points...it's just more navel gazing from the navel gazing committee.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Agree on both of your points...it's just more navel gazing from the navel gazing committee.
Sounds like a clear case of apples and oranges.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 01:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Shut up.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The rule book disagrees with you.

9-9-3
A player from the team not in control (defensive player or during a jump ball or throw-in) may legally jump from his/her frontcourt, secure control of the ball with both feet off the floor and return to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt. The player may make a normal landing and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or backcourt.

During a throw-in, the thrower has control of the ball. It has nothing to do with team control or player control. A defensive player is a member of the opponent of the thrower.

The fact that there's no team control during a throw-in does not mean that one team is not on defense.

Quote:
There is no NFHS Basketball Rules definition for the word control. There are only definitions for player control and team control.

Therefore, we rely on Webster's definition, just like we do for any other word that's not specifically defined in Rule 4.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Mon Sep 10, 2007 at 02:27pm.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 02:17pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
The rule bopok disagrees with you.
Rule Bopok - isn't he one of those Pakistani philosophers? Why would I care if he agrees or disagrees?
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
You got me.

And I was focussed on not spelling it naval...