The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 09, 2007, 03:49pm
Lighten up, Francis.

BktBallRef was right!! (Sorry, Nevada)

From the new casebook:

*9.9.1 SITUATION D: Team A is awarded a throw-in near the division line. A1's throw-in is deflected by B1; A2 jumps from Team A's frontcourt, catches the ball in the air and lands in the backcourt. RULING: Backcourt violation on Team A. The throw-in ends when it is legally touched by B1. A2 gains player and team control in the air after having left the floor from Team A's frontcourt, therefore having frontcourt status. As soon as A2 lands in the backcourt, he/she has committed a backcourt violation. The exception granted during a throw-in ends when the throw-in ends and is only for the player making the initial touch on the ball. (9-9-3)
Old Sun Sep 09, 2007, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
From the new casebook:

*9.9.1 SITUATION D: Team A is awarded a throw-in near the division line. A1's throw-in is deflected by B1; A2 jumps from Team A's frontcourt, catches the ball in the air and lands in the backcourt. RULING: Backcourt violation on Team A. The throw-in ends when it is legally touched by B1. A2 gains player and team control in the air after having left the floor from Team A's frontcourt, therefore having frontcourt status. As soon as A2 lands in the backcourt, he/she has committed a backcourt violation. The exception granted during a throw-in ends when the throw-in ends and is only for the player making the initial touch on the ball. (9-9-3)
WOW... I am glad we got a clarification on my play that was submitted for discussion back in November 2006.
Oh, by the way. How do I get the new casebook?
Old Sun Sep 09, 2007, 05:53pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy
How do I get the new casebook?
Through your local association, your state governing body or buy it direct from the FED.
Old Sun Sep 09, 2007, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Where is the Throw-in?

Now I hope the rules maker take a look at these plays and come up with a solid clarification.
I would like the violation to be on the player catching the ball. Not the player throwing in the ball. Oh well.....
Old Sun Sep 09, 2007, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Through your local association, your state governing body or buy it direct from the FED.
I guess I'll have to wait until I receive my basketball stuff from the State. I am guessing that will be about 3-4 weeks.
Old Sun Sep 09, 2007, 06:40pm
We don't rent pigs

I stand corrected. I don't necessarily agree with the logic, but it is not my place to do so. My remaining question has to do with the other play which Tony posted on the other thread:

A1 shoots, ball comes off the backboard and rim hard and bounds all the way out to the division line. A2 leaps from his FC, catches the ball while airborne, and lands in the BC. Is this a violation? Damn skippy it is.

Is this a violation on only team A? Is it significant that A was last in control?
Or would it also be a violation on B if A's shot is batted out to the division line and B1 jumps from his FC, secures control, and lands in BC?

I would think that it would have to be a violation on either team in this case, but I'm not gonna bet the farm on it.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Sep 09, 2007, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Damn, I get tired of being right all the time.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Sep 09, 2007, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy
WOW... I am glad we got a clarification on my play that was submitted for discussion back in November 2006.
Did you really expect one sooner? The season is underway in November 2006, and I think the rules committee only meets once per year (and it's very rare the mid-season interps are published). So, the have an answer for the next season -- sounds about right to me.
Old Sun Sep 09, 2007, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
I stand corrected. I don't necessarily agree with the logic, but it is not my place to do so. My remaining question has to do with the other play which Tony posted on the other thread:

A1 shoots, ball comes off the backboard and rim hard and bounds all the way out to the division line. A2 leaps from his FC, catches the ball while airborne, and lands in the BC. Is this a violation? Damn skippy it is.

Is this a violation on only team A? Is it significant that A was last in control?
Or would it also be a violation on B if A's shot is batted out to the division line and B1 jumps from his FC, secures control, and lands in BC?

I would think that it would have to be a violation on either team in this case, but I'm not gonna bet the farm on it.
Consider these points and perhaps it won't be as difficult.

1-There is no Team A or Team B in this play.
2- It makes no difference which team shot the ball, who was on defense, who was on offense.
3- It's a loose ball, there's no team control and no one is "entitled" to the ball.

When player #12 jumps from his FC and grabs the ball, he has now established team control, the ball has FC status, and he is the last player to touch the ball in the FC. When he lands in the BC, he has committed a BC violation.

It's actually no different than the play Scrapper1 cited.

Old Sun Sep 09, 2007, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Good stuff, Scrappy.

I actually got an e-mail from my board's interpreter a month or two ago saying no violation. Glad it got cleared up by Fed.
Old Sun Sep 09, 2007, 07:54pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Glad it got cleared up by Fed.
It's not the first time that related case plays have come out after some lengthy rules discussions on this forum. Methinks some things that we discuss are getting back to members of the rules committee.
Old Sun Sep 09, 2007, 08:02pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Damn, I get tired of being right all the time.
This was the original thread.

Throw-in/Backcourt violation?
Old Sun Sep 09, 2007, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Damned if a bunch of you didn't miss that one!!

Old Sun Sep 09, 2007, 08:36pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Consider these points and perhaps it won't be as difficult.

1-There is no Team A or Team B in this play.
2- It makes no difference which team shot the ball, who was on defense, who was on offense.

When player #12 jumps from his FC and grabs the ball, he has now established team control, the ball has FC status, and he is the last player to touch the ball in the FC. When he lands in the BC, he has committed a BC violation.

It's actually no different than the play Scrapper1 cited.

When you say there is no Team A or B, does that mean simply that there is no team control, (like the case play) or does this refer to the fact that team control by A ended on the try, and there is no more Team A & B (offense/defense) until team control is reestablished?

Quote:
3- It's a loose ball, there's no team control and no one is "entitled" to the ball.
The red part here is also true in the case play. I don't know what you mean by "entitled to the ball." When is one entitled to the ball?

My new question:

Team A is awarded a throw-in near the division line. A1's throw-in is deflected by B1; B2 jumps from Team B's frontcourt, catches the ball in the air and lands in the backcourt. Is this a violation, or is B2 still considered a defender in this play?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Sep 09, 2007, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

"team control by A ended on the try, and there is no more Team A & B (offense/defense) until team control is reestablished"

Correct. There is no offense or defense. The rule equally applies to all 10 players on the field.

"The red part here is also true in the case play. I don't know what you mean by "entitled to the ball." When is one entitled to the ball?"

In the case play, a team is entitled to the ball because they have the throwin, therefore, they are Team A.

I'm just trying to help you see that in your play, no matter which team a player is on, he can't jump from his FC, gain player control of the ball and land in his BC. It's a BC violation.