View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Please tell me that you aren't serious.

A team is NOT in control when a thrower has the ball OOB during a throw-in. Neither team. That's a basic.

I'm talking about what the rules say. Nothing else. The rules say that neither team is in control during a throw-in. The rules also say that neither team can establish team control until one of their players establish player control. When there's no team control, there's no defender.
The rule book disagrees with you.

9-9-3
A player from the team not in control (defensive player or during a jump ball or throw-in) may legally jump from his/her frontcourt, secure control of the ball with both feet off the floor and return to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt. The player may make a normal landing and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or backcourt.

During a throw-in, the thrower has control of the ball. It has nothing to do with team control or player control. A defensive player is a member of the opponent of the thrower.

The fact that there's no team control during a throw-in does not mean that one team is not on defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Good point. But.....that's why I think that they wrote the TO rule as only to be granted when the ball is in control of or at the disposal of his/her team. The thrower has the ball at his disposal, without control(using rules semantics for the definition of control).
There is no NFHS Basketball Rules definition for the word control. There are only definitions for player control and team control.

Therefore, we rely on Webster's definition, just like we do for any other word that's not specifically defined in Rule 4.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Mon Sep 10, 2007 at 02:27pm.