The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 08, 2007, 03:58pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question Least called call

Again, this comes out of a conversation I was having with another official. Out of all the calls under NF rules, which is the one you've called the least (or maybe never) in your career. For me, it's basket interference on a free throw.

My buddy agreed and put "false multiple foul" in second place. Actually, I've called that every so often.

What about you?
Old Sat Sep 08, 2007, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

I, too, have called BI on a free throw. Unfortunately, I passed on the technical that should have gone with it.

I would have to say that the "normal" violation/foul (i.e., no multiple fouls ) that I call least often is a 3-second violation.
Old Sat Sep 08, 2007, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

I've never called fisting. I've never called a simultaneous foul. Never had BI on a free throw.
Old Sat Sep 08, 2007, 05:19pm

After reading up the definition of a multiple foul, I once called it. Player driving in for a layup was foul at the top of the key, his momentum took him in for a layup, which another player came across and hampered him again shooting the layup. I probably should have made it a false multiple foul or a false double foul, all hell, I don't know to be technically correct. However, the coach didn't like my call and we almost came to blows. Since I knew him from my playing days, the argument was more about the call then it was personal. The call cause so much comotion that I'm hestiant to use it again.

In fact, I did use it again and it encountered the same reaction. After about 10 minutes getting everybody settle back down, we got back to play. So I have decided to screw the multiple foul, that 2nd foul on the same player will be a technical foul.
Old Sat Sep 08, 2007, 06:34pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
I've never called fisting.
By "fisting", I assume you mean a violation for hitting the ball with your fist. BTW - I have absolutely no idea what this poster means.

Old Sat Sep 08, 2007, 07:12pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
I, too, have called BI on a free throw. Unfortunately, I passed on the technical that should have gone with it.
Was the technical for hanging on the rim? Or was this before the rule was changed to remove the T penalty?

As I'm sure you know, goaltending a free throw is a T, but basket interference is not (anymore).
Old Sat Sep 08, 2007, 07:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
In fact, I did use it again and it encountered the same reaction. After about 10 minutes getting everybody settle back down, we got back to play. So I have decided to screw the multiple foul, that 2nd foul on the same player will be a technical foul.
Not only will this get an even bigger reaction (that seems to be what you're worried about here), it's the wrong call and can't be made with rules backing. If the 2nd foul is one that needs to be called, it's simply another personal shooting foul.
I'm almost afraid to ask, but how did you administer it when you did call the simultaneous foul?
Old Sat Sep 08, 2007, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... another player came across and hampered him ...
He put him in with the dirty laundry!
Old Sun Sep 09, 2007, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Was the technical for hanging on the rim? Or was this before the rule was changed to remove the T penalty?

As I'm sure you know, goaltending a free throw is a T, but basket interference is not (anymore).
It was back in '02-'03, when both BI and GT of a FT were Ts. I passed on it rather than inflame tempers over a rule that none of the players would have known.
Old Sun Sep 09, 2007, 09:26am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Not only will this get an even bigger reaction (that seems to be what you're worried about here), it's the wrong call and can't be made with rules backing.
Excuse me! How was it the wrong call?

Quote:
If the 2nd foul is one that needs to be called, it's simply another personal shooting foul.
Incorrect, as usual from you. If the 2nd foul needs to be called, it's a dead ball foul, a dead ball foul is a technical, or i could say it was apart of the original move and make it a multiple foul.

Quote:
I'm almost afraid to ask, but how did you administer it when you did call the simultaneous foul?
By the rules.
Old Sun Sep 09, 2007, 11:05am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Excuse me! How was it the wrong call?

Incorrect, as usual from you. If the 2nd foul needs to be called, it's a dead ball foul, a dead ball foul is a technical, or i could say it was apart of the original move and make it a multiple foul.

By the rules.
By the rules?

Not freaking likely. You've never owned a rule book in your life.

The rules, both NFHS and NCAA, say that multiple fouls can ONLY be personal fouls, NOT technical fouls.

As usual, you're guessing, and also as usual, you're guessing wrong.
Old Sun Sep 09, 2007, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Player driving in for a layup was foul at the top of the key, his momentum took him in for a layup, which another player came across and hampered him again shooting the layup.
Who was the player...Michael Jordan? LeBron? Dr J? That's a lot of momentum (about 20 feet worth) for a rec leaguer (rec is all you call, right?)...from the top of the key all the way in for a layup??? Did you blow your whistle at the moment of the original foul (i.e., at the "top of the key")? If so, how did the player continue on for a "hampered" layup? His jumps must have the approximate thrust of a jet engine? Wish this was on You Tube.....
Old Sun Sep 09, 2007, 01:09pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Hampered him? Did his uniform need washing?
Old Sun Sep 09, 2007, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

BI on the free throw ... or BI in general. Never called either. I officiate mostly smaller schools and have never seen it.
Old Sun Sep 09, 2007, 04:47pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
BI on the free throw ... or BI in general. Never called either. I officiate mostly smaller schools and have never seen it.
Just curious as to why you think the size of the school would have something to do with whether or not the players would commit BI.

Or, by "smaller" did you mean in height?