The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 03:57pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question Question for the baseball guys

I saw a thread on the baseball forum about a batter changing batting boxes during an at-bat and, as I thought, it's not illegal (as long as the pitcher is not ready to pitch), but one of the posters mentioned that a pitcher cannot change his pitching arm during an at-bat (NF rules). If this is correct, can you explain the reasoning behind it? If a batter can switch, why not the pitcher. That doesn't seem equitable to me. Thanks.

And no - before someone thinks of it, by the term "change his pitching arm" I don't mean he can replace one with a new one if it wears out.
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 04:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have no idea. This is the rule pretty much across the board. All I can do is assume that they want the offense to not adjust on the fly to a pitcher. Other than that I am simply guessing.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

The batter can change sides of the plate once per at bat, there are other rules that must be followed, like not changing sides while the pitch is being delivered.
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 04:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm
The batter can change sides of the plate once per at bat,
Really? They seemed to indicate there was no restriction as to the number of times the batter could change sides. Do you have a rule reference? Thanks.
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 05:04pm

Quote:
The batter can change sides of the plate once per at bat, there are other rules that must be followed, like not changing sides while the pitch is being delivered.
Actually he can change sides while the pitch is being delivered, accept he will be automatically out for stepping across the plate. There is a rule about the batter switching but it's more to not make a mockery of the game. I think that's right, you can only do it once, but I know you also can't do it after 2 strikes either.

Far as I know there is no restriction on the pitcher, but you have to remember, common sense. If the pitcher switches to the other arm, then he/she won't be able to play defense very well because the glove on the wrong hand. Not very smart when you're that close to the batters and you can't play defense or acturately defend yourself. I would think the baseball forum would be able to answer this to the T.
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 05:11pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
I think that's right, you can only do it once, but I know you also can't do it after 2 strikes either.
Really!!! Because the examples they gave of it being used the most is that a batter tries to bunt from the left side to gain an advantage going to first base but after getting two strikes, moves to the right side.

I'll bet you a used Fox 40 rubber mouthguard you can't cite a rule reference to back up your statement.
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 05:26pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Actually he can change sides while the pitch is being delivered, accept he will be automatically out for stepping across the plate. There is a rule about the batter switching but it's more to not make a mockery of the game. I think that's right, you can only do it once, but I know you also can't do it after 2 strikes either.

Far as I know there is no restriction on the pitcher, but you have to remember, common sense. If the pitcher switches to the other arm, then he/she won't be able to play defense very well because the glove on the wrong hand. Not very smart when you're that close to the batters and you can't play defense or acturately defend yourself. I would think the baseball forum would be able to answer this to the T.
You should stick to not knowing the basketball rules.

A batter can change after every pitch, if desired, even with 2 strikes. However, if a pitcher is in his delivery or is engaged with the rubber ready to deliver, the batter is declared out if he steps across to change batter's boxes (OBR 6.06(b)).

The pitcher is limited because otherwise you could have the batter and pitcher in a never ending game of switching hands to get the advantage. The FED rule is 6-1-1 NOTE -- the pitcher must declare whether he is left or right handed and pitch to the batter with that hand for the entire at bat.

Last edited by Rich; Tue Sep 04, 2007 at 05:38pm.
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 05:27pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
The batter can change on every single pitch if he wants, just not when the pitcher is delivering or is ready to deliver. The rule is 7-3-3.

Last edited by Rich; Tue Sep 04, 2007 at 05:37pm.
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 05:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
LOL....it's true, it's true!
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 05:46pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Really!!! Because the examples they gave of it being used the most is that a batter tries to bunt from the left side to gain an advantage going to first base but after getting two strikes, moves to the right side.

I'll bet you a used Fox 40 rubber mouthguard you can't cite a rule reference to back up your statement.
You would win that bet cause I'm not even going to try. However, you never see this. I'll never seen a batter switch position in the pro's, i have no clue for HS. I did softball, where it is more leniant, and as far as i can recall, you couldn't switch every pitch. That's making a mockery of the game.

Read the disclamier...
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 05:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

A batter can change after every pitch, if desired, even with 2 strikes. However, if a pitcher is in his delivery or is engaged with the rubber ready to deliver, the batter is declared out if he steps across to change batter's boxes (OBR 6.06(b)).

The pitcher is limited because otherwise you could have the batter and pitcher in a never ending game of switching hands to get the advantage. The FED rule is 6-1-1 NOTE -- the pitcher must declare whether he is left or right handed and pitch to the batter with that hand for the entire at bat.
Is there a rule on whether a pitcher can change gloves mid-inning?
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 05:48pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
You would win that bet cause I'm not even going to try. However, you never see this. I'll never seen a batter switch position in the pro's, i have no clue for HS. I did softball, where it is more leniant, and as far as i can recall, you couldn't switch every pitch. That's making a mockery of the game.

Read the disclamier...
It's not. If a batter is trying to bunt, he may want the additional step to first batting LH gives him. With 2 strikes, he may want to avoid striking out by batting right. And he'd be well within his rights. I saw it once this summer and it's the only time I can remember it happening. And of COURSE, the other coach wanted me to stop it cause "it's against the rules."
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 05:48pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
LOL....it's true, it's true!
Read the disclamier...
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 05:52pm

Quote:
It's not. If a batter is trying to bunt, he may want the additional step to first batting LH gives him. With 2 strikes, he may want to avoid striking out by batting right. And he'd be well within his rights. I saw it once this summer and it's the only time I can remember it happening. And of COURSE, the other coach wanted me to stop it cause "it's against the rules."
Interesting...makes sense. Can't bunt in softball, issue never came up for me. I'm fairly certain that after you had 2 strikes, you couldn't switch, but you where allowed to switched once.
Old Tue Sep 04, 2007, 06:02pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
The pitcher is limited because otherwise you could have the batter and pitcher in a never ending game of switching hands to get the advantage.
I believe there's also a rule that once a pitcher is announced, he must pitch to one batter. Otherwise, you could bring in a reliever, the opponent could bring in a pinch hitter, then you could switch pitchers, the opponent could bring another pinch hitter. . .

Am I right about that?
Closed Thread