The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

6th grade boys last night. Losing coach (by 20+ points) comes over and tells me I did a good job. I even called a T (my first) on one of his players for unsportsmanlike with less than 2 minutes to go.

Question, how much information do you report to the bench when you call a T on a player? Do you just say it's for unsportsmanlike, or do you say it was for argueing and deliberately throwing the ball away from the official?
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by bard

Question, how much information do you report to the bench when you call a T on a player?
Personally, I never explain a T. Usually, that's b/c it's obvious why I called it. If it's not obvious, and the coach sincerely asks "What'd he do/say?!?" I simply reply, "Ask him, Coach". That way I don't get into a debate with the coach, and the kid has to 'fess up to what he said to me.

Just my personal approach

Chuck
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

I never tell be bookkeeper the reason, but I will tell a coach if he asks.

Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 03:18pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

You don't have to clarify, but coaches almost always as "What'd he say?" If it's not repeatable, tell the coach to ask his player, otherwise you might just tell him.

The main thing on reporting technicals is to let the book know whether or not it counts towards the team total, against the player, indirect on head coach, etc.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

hey bard, how many years have you been officiating? (and not given out a T)

If you gave a technical, it is usually ovbious why it was given. If a player recieved it and a coach asks why, tell him, but quietly, and when play is stopped.

I wouldn't explain the T to the table. all the info they need to know is that there was a technical foul, the offending team's color, if it was a player, the player's number, and then you shoot. don't creat controversy by explaining it, if asked by a coach, then explain it.

I feel it is just as when we call a foul, we say the color, number, foul, status of the ball, but we don't verbalize that the foul was a holding foul, we just do the mechanic.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Question, how much information do you report to the bench when you call a T on a player?
Personally, I never explain a T. Usually, that's b/c it's obvious why I called it. If it's not obvious, and the coach sincerely asks "What'd he do/say?!?" I simply reply, "Ask him, Coach". That way I don't get into a debate with the coach, and the kid has to 'fess up to what he said to me.

Chuck
I like this approach as well. It is more likely to make the kid accountable for his actions.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug
Jeez! Lucky bard! I'm in my first season and have 17 already.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2002, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by daves
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Chuck
I like this approach as well. It is more likely to make the kid accountable for his actions.
So the kid says I dunno coach, i was just standing there and she is now accountable? If I can't tell why you Td my player because something happened out of view/earshot, I will be quite upset if you refuse to give the reason. I will hold the kid accountable and probably ask them what they got Td for a well, even if I know. I make them fess up. But it's harder to do that and know that thye know what they did wrong without my knowing what your call really was.

If it was profanity, I am not asking you to give me an exact quote, just let me know the player used profanity and get on with it. But I find it arrogant to refuse to communicate with me if I ask you in a non-threatening manner for clarification as to what you called - T or otherwise. I'll give you respect, but I deserve a little bit, too.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2002, 02:34am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Usually, I just report "unsportsmanlike conduct", but if it was for profanity, I add that.

If the coach asks what the player said, I'll tell him. My favorite is a Davism whenever the player said "the F word."

Howler Monkey: What did he say?
Me: It was that word that starts with "F" and ends with "U-C-K" and it's not "FIRETRUCK".
Old Thu Jan 17, 2002, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

If a coach ask, tell him. Keep responses to three words or less. These respones should be practiced so you are prepared. example; player talking smack to opponent, coach ask why, i say "taunting".
Old Thu Jan 17, 2002, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Quote:

So the kid says I dunno coach, i was just standing there
Then he is lying. I don't give T's for "I never touched him". My T's are for vulgarity or personal comments toward me or another player. That's why I feel comfortable telling the coach to ask the kid; b/c the kid said something that clearly deserved a T. If he says he didn't, that's not my fault.

Quote:
I find it arrogant to refuse to communicate with me if I ask you in a non-threatening manner for clarification as to what you called
It's not arrogance, at least on my part, Coach. It's just my preference. A Technical foul is usually part of a heated situation, and I prefer not to get myself deeper into a heated situation if possible. So if I have the info you want, and your player has the same info, I prefer that you get it from him.

Chuck
Old Thu Jan 17, 2002, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Chuck
Don't know the levels you ref or your experience level, so I don't mean to insult you in any way. But my experience has been that the higher level refs and the more experienced refs have mastered communicating with coaches when legitimate questions are asked. As a coach, I have a legitimate right to ask you something and get a straight answer. If I take a heated situation and make it worse, you can have your second T. But I do take great issue with your preference that I get my information about Your call from My player, who may or may not know what you called and who may or may not think they did something wrong. You called it, I'm simply asking what was called.

In our MS competitive league, the commissioner is a college ref and he will only entertain complaints about refs for four reasons. Of course I only remember three - tardiness, lack of hustle, poor communication. If I had you in a game in that league and you Td up one of my players and wouldn't tell me why, I'd be on the phone Monday morning. I've done it once before for ref that wouldn't move and appeared completely disengaged from the game (and all the players noticed), as well as for a team of refs where I positively loved the way they were ahead of the game (and I lost in overtime with the good refs, won a close one with the atrocious one - still called the league in both cases!).

If your preference is to avoid communicating with coaches in a heated situation, I believe that is a skill that you should work on because it is an essential skill not only in basketball but in life. Yes, there is potential conflict - deal with it.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2002, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Usually, I just report "unsportsmanlike conduct", but if it was for profanity, I add that.

If the coach asks what the player said, I'll tell him. My favorite is a Davism whenever the player said "the F word."

Howler Monkey: What did he say?
Me: It was that word that starts with "F" and ends with "U-C-K" and it's not "FIRETRUCK".
I tried that once. The coach had no idea what I was talking about.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2002, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Chuck
Don't know the levels you ref or your experience level, so I don't mean to insult you in any way. But my experience has been that the higher level refs and the more experienced refs have mastered communicating with coaches when legitimate questions are asked. As a coach, I have a legitimate right to ask you something and get a straight answer. If I take a heated situation and make it worse, you can have your second T. But I do take great issue with your preference that I get my information about Your call from My player, who may or may not know what you called and who may or may not think they did something wrong. You called it, I'm simply asking what was called.

In our MS competitive league, the commissioner is a college ref and he will only entertain complaints about refs for four reasons. Of course I only remember three - tardiness, lack of hustle, poor communication. If I had you in a game in that league and you Td up one of my players and wouldn't tell me why, I'd be on the phone Monday morning. I've done it once before for ref that wouldn't move and appeared completely disengaged from the game (and all the players noticed), as well as for a team of refs where I positively loved the way they were ahead of the game (and I lost in overtime with the good refs, won a close one with the atrocious one - still called the league in both cases!).

If your preference is to avoid communicating with coaches in a heated situation, I believe that is a skill that you should work on because it is an essential skill not only in basketball but in life. Yes, there is potential conflict - deal with it.
I have to disagree with your premise. I too refuse to
answer the "wa-did-he-say???!!!" from coaches with
any details. Sure, most coaches might agree that the T was
valid, but more than once I got back "Is that it!!!? This
ain't a tea party!!" when I attempted to practice the fine
art of communicating in high stress environments. So I now
limit my communications to "he made an inapropriate and
unsportsman like remark". And I only say that if asked.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2002, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by Doug
Jeez! Lucky bard! I'm in my first season and have 17 already.

17 in one season? I haven't given out that many in 6 years! Oh, wait, is this another of your "I'm on a roll today" postings

Hawks Coach: Whacked a kid (boys JV) Tuesday for language...not the "F" word. When I reported the T, the coach asked what it was for and I replied "language". The coach replied "English or Spanish"? I replied "both". In retrospect, I should have whacked the coach for being a smart a@@, but he probably thought he was being funny so I let it pass. Guess we were both guilty.