The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 03:39am
Official Forum Member

you make the call

What would you do in this youtube video right here. Sorry if this has already been discussed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9wrdhQCNb4
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
I've not seen this before so I'll comment.

Game over - head to the house. No time on the clock - you don't need to shoot the second FT - I'm not having a conference unless it's to discuss a pretty blonde in the 5th row.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Mountaineer...One successful free throw ends the game.

However, the bigger problem was mechanics-wise. In three person, the lead had plenty of time to get set on the baseline to fairly judge the contact. Whether it was incidental or not I'm not going to judge. The lead was absolutely straight lined because he didn't hustle to get to the baseline to get a better angle. If I was the losing coach, that's what I would be complaining about, not the team coming on the floor.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 08:00am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
Game over - head to the house. No time on the clock
There was clearly time on the clock when the whistle blew. The clock shows 0.3 when the shooter is already on the ground out of bounds. If any of the 3 officials observed the time before the clock hit zero, they should put that amount back up.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 08:19am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
There was clearly time on the clock when the whistle blew. The clock shows 0.3 when the shooter is already on the ground out of bounds. If any of the 3 officials observed the time before the clock hit zero, they should put that amount back up.
they could guess, and put .9 back on.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

I agree about the lead positioning. If he would have hustled, he would have had a good look at the play instead of the straightline view.

No communication between the officials after the foul about how much time on the clock. Weird. Communicate and then make sure everyone knows if there is time left in regulation.

Then they decide to have a long conference after the free throws when the game is over? What a screwy deal. That crew needs a leader (an "R"). The technical foul was the official's fault. Teams didn't know that the game was not over because of the lack of communication.

Trail official should have had a GREAT look at the clock after the foul to be able to put the correct amount of time on the clock.

What a disaster in referee communication and teamwork.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Comments on the block call? Seemed like LGP was never established and the defender moved in on the shooter at the end.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

It could be argued LGP was established near mid court. The defender had 2 feet on the floor and was facing the opponent. The ball handler never got head and shoulders past the defender, and the defender maintained a lateral movement. It could be argued the ball handler initiated the contact by going into the defender.

What a mess the whole thing was. The trail should have taken the play all the way in. He had the better angle than the lead, and the lead was, at best, guessing.

One they cleared the lane for the free throws, that told everybody that there was no time on the clock. One successful free throw and the game should have been over. Why did the referees delay after the successful free throw?
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinski
Comments on the block call? Seemed like LGP was never established and the defender moved in on the shooter at the end.
LGP was established from what I can see on the video.

Defender had 2 feet onthe floor facing his opponent as he caught the ball.

L's position at the start of is fine. I agree he should have found a way to get to the baseline.

I didn't watch to the end but from what I saw I agree that there was time left, it should have been caught by someone and there should have been a conference to determine what happens before the game resumed.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHtown
One they cleared the lane for the free throws, that told everybody that there was no time on the clock. One successful free throw and the game should have been over. Why did the referees delay after the successful free throw?
From reading the description, a technical foul was called.

I didn't have the patience to watch all 5 minutes. But, if there's no T, then the game is over at the first shot (assuming they're not going to fix the clock).
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHtown
It could be argued LGP was established near mid court. The defender had 2 feet on the floor and was facing the opponent. The ball handler never got head and shoulders past the defender, and the defender maintained a lateral movement. It could be argued the ball handler initiated the contact by going into the defender.

So, a no call would be the better call? Coming from the trail.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

I'm not going there. But compare the Trail's view of the play to the Lead's view, and decide who had the better angle.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 10:38am

To be honest, after the first viewing I said the game is over. After going thru the lengthly discussion with Snaqs on putting time back on the clock, and just plain good clock management. .3 seconds should be put back on the clock here. This is a great educational video to show that you must get the time on a last second play. All 3 officials are responsible. If you didn't get it. The Fed. rule says the game is over and they let the crew off the hook. But that decision, that ruling in fact, does a disservice to the opposing team and the game. I understand why the Fed. says the game is over, thanks to Snaqs, it makes sense now. However, as a crew these guys missed it and you guys missed it and i missed it. We got work to do here! From now on, I'm going to make sure in a last second situation, I get the clock the second that whistles blows.

This is a great video, very pertinent to the topic under discussion, thanks for sharing.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 12:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not blame the officials for knowing exactly what should or should not be on the clock. That is a very hard thing to see by the calling official (unless there was another clock located in his field of vision and that is not likely). It is possible that the official opposite table or the Trail official might have gotten a better look. If the rules considered lag time, I would say without a doubt the game is over after the FTs. Now with the new rule, if you have knowledge they could put time on the clock. The problem is I do not think they had any knowledge of the clock status. I can tell by the official's body language that they were confused as to what to do. Someone has to know the rule about the game ending. It is possible that there might have been other factors in shooting the FTs. It is not clear if this was a regular season or playoff game (at least to me). That could have been the only reason they shot FTs but I do not know that for sure.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Would you call a T on the team for celebrating a close game??? After time as expired??? Not to mention, that if any official didn't know how much time to be put back up on the clock, then it has to be game over. After the foul shots, then the game has to be over.