The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Correctable Error

This happened to me in a summer league game!

A1 is fouled by B3. B1 is then given a technical foul for arguing. The wrong kid shot foul 1 but was also picked to shoot the technical. My question to you is
If the table realizes that the wrong player is shooting the original free throws can they hit the horn and bring the ref's over?

If my understanding is correct then there is nothing we could have done in this situation once the shots were awarded.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 06:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

You have a limited time frame in which you can go back and correct this. Yes, the table can buzz the officials. If it's noticed in time, you discount the free throws that were incorrectly awarded, and give the correct shooter his shots.

How you proceed after that will depend on when the error was realized.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper

A1 is fouled by B3. B1 is then given a technical foul for arguing. The wrong kid shot foul 1 but was also picked to shoot the technical. My question to you is
If the table realizes that the wrong player is shooting the original free throws can they hit the horn and bring the ref's over?

If my understanding is correct then there is nothing we could have done in this situation once the shots were awarded.
Yes, the table crew can and should alert the referees if the wrong player is attempting personal foul FTs.
Furthermore, you certainly can do something about it after the shots were awarded as long as you are still within the correctable error timeframe.

The FTs for the personal foul would have to be reshot by the correct player, but the FTs administered for the technical foul would stand.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 06:30pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:

Here's a question for you, and I have a specific reason for asking it which will become apparent based on your answer. At this point in your game, how many free throws were awarded for the technical foul?
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

This happened to me in my first or second year of reffing. The wonderful IM players assumed that we were playing NCAA rules and wanted to shoot the T first. I had a brain fart and didn't realize that the wrong guy was on the line.

Consensus here at the time was that it was not a correctable error situation, since all merited FTs had been awarded. If A1 was fouled, but A2 shoots first, A2 shot the technical foul FTs. Have A1 shoot with the lane cleared, then inbound the ball at half-court.

Now, if you think that this was done on purpose (switching one FT-er for another), you'd charge a technical foul.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Mark,
In this summer league we shot one free throw for two points. So we did this twice then awarded team A the ball out of bounds.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Mark,
In this summer league we shot one free throw for two points. So we did this twice then awarded team A the ball out of bounds.
Given the modification of the rules, I would cancel the result of the first FT and have the right player reattempt it, but allow the result of the second FT to stand and then administer the throw-in. That is the closest that you can come to how it would be done if playing without any modifications.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
This happened to me in my first or second year of reffing. The wonderful IM players assumed that we were playing NCAA rules and wanted to shoot the T first. I had a brain fart and didn't realize that the wrong guy was on the line.

Consensus here at the time was that it was not a correctable error situation, since all merited FTs had been awarded. If A1 was fouled, but A2 shoots first, A2 shot the technical foul FTs. Have A1 shoot with the lane cleared, then inbound the ball at half-court.

Now, if you think that this was done on purpose (switching one FT-er for another), you'd charge a technical foul.
All of that is true, but not applicable to the situation in the OP because only a single player attempted all of the FTs which were administered. Thus your solution can't be implemented.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
All of that is true, but not applicable to the situation in the OP because only a single player attempted all of the FTs which were administered. Thus your solution can't be implemented.
D'oh! Thanks for pointing out the difference.

Let's say this was a normal game, and the original foul was a shooting foul with A1 as the shooter. A2 takes 4 free-throws before anyone notices something is wrong.

Assuming that A2 made fewer than 4 of the FTs, which two do you count? I'd tend to say the first two, but there's also a good case for taking the last two.

I guess the fair resolution would be to take the two shots at which A2 did the worst.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 08:37pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Mark,
I thought maybe the first foul was non-shooting and the officials were only administering the two shot technical and, if that was the case, there was no error.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
D'oh! Thanks for pointing out the difference.

Let's say this was a normal game, and the original foul was a shooting foul with A1 as the shooter. A2 takes 4 free-throws before anyone notices something is wrong.

Assuming that A2 made fewer than 4 of the FTs, which two do you count? I'd tend to say the first two, but there's also a good case for taking the last two.

I guess the fair resolution would be to take the two shots at which A2 did the worst.
Do you really think that?
That's just silly GW reasoning.

If the FIRST foul was a personal foul, we know that there is a designated free thrower for that penalty. Also you know that the SECOND foul was a technical foul for which any team member may attempt the FTs.
Since the NFHS rules clearly state that the FTs should be administered in the order in which the fouls occurred, the ONLY correct solution is to cancel the first two FTs that were administered for the FIRST foul as those were the only FTs that were attempted by a wrong shooter. We don't care who attempted the last two FTs.

In this case, doing anything else would be "screwing one of the two teams" as JR is so fond of saying.