The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

advantage/disadvantage

I have read this phrase "Advantage/Disadvantage" in discusing violations. Advantage/Disadvantage only applies to fouls! I am on the side of the fence, If I see the Travel violation, then I call it. I see it occur often.
A1 has the ball for a throw-in. No one near him/her except A2. A1 steps into the court, then releases the ball. Advantage gained? Not really. Violation? YES!
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 10:36am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Early last year, it seemed I was calling a ton of travels. One coach complained I was calling it too much. Since it was my first year in this association, I asked the varsity level official who happened to be there since he worked for that particular school. He laughed, and said, "freshman ball is ugly. They travel, and you're calling the ones you need to call." That was all I needed to hear, allowing me to remain in my comfort level.
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Early last year, it seemed I was calling a ton of travels. One coach complained I was calling it too much. Since it was my first year in this association, I asked the varsity level official who happened to be there since he worked for that particular school. He laughed, and said, "freshman ball is ugly. They travel, and you're calling the ones you need to call." That was all I needed to hear, allowing me to remain in my comfort level.
I stopped reading after "One coach complained..."
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Not to be a picky, but NFHS does recognize "advantage/disadvantage" for violations. One example is the "delayed " violation by the opponent of the free throw shooter. If he /she makes the free throw, you ignore the violation. Also, you don't call the violation if a defender leaves the court voluntarily in an attempt to stop a fast break by the opponent.
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 03:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

These violations are written this way into the rules, as are all personal fouls. You can't, however, apply a/d where it's not allowed for by rule.
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy
I have read this phrase "Advantage/Disadvantage" in discusing violations. Advantage/Disadvantage only applies to fouls! I am on the side of the fence, If I see the Travel violation, then I call it. I see it occur often.
A1 has the ball for a throw-in. No one near him/her except A2. A1 steps into the court, then releases the ball. Advantage gained? Not really. Violation? YES!
To be honest... I've heard college and high school clinicians ask campers "who the hell saw that besides yourself, and did you really need to interrupt the game with that call"?
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHtown
Not to be a picky, but NFHS does recognize "advantage/disadvantage" for violations. One example is the "delayed " violation by the opponent of the free throw shooter. If he /she makes the free throw, you ignore the violation. Also, you don't call the violation if a defender leaves the court voluntarily in an attempt to stop a fast break by the opponent.
Another example would be suspending the three count when the ballhandler makes a move to the basket.

But to be even pickier, the fact that these examples are coded in rules and cases makes them not advantage/disadvantage calls at all. Passing on a travel because it "didn't matter" is applying A/D on top of the traveling rule. Dropping the delayed defensive violation after the made free throw, is applying the rule as written.
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 08:44pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
BTW JR, I see a lot of travel calls made at the NBA level. I have watched five minutes of some games and seen 3 straight trips with a travel call. It is just a call that is not called very consistently at all levels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
2) True dat, but what's sad is that the supposedly top level, the NBA, probably is leading in inconsistency on travel calls imo.
True, I agree with Rut in that this call is not consistent. It was a point of emphasis this past season in the NBA to call more travels. What i think brought this to light in the NBA is LeBron in the Olympic games traveling just about everytime he got the ball. He would pitty-pat his feet before putting the ball down. I saw a lot of travels this year called in the NBA as well. One agaisnt Kobie in a game deciding play with 5 seconds to go. Kobie argued the call venomously but the replay showed him talking about 5 steps before dribbling. Great call....!!!! Why don't we get more credit for the good calls made.

I know I am not going to get that detail about this violation. It needs to be obvious, if not, I agree with the DI official you're just interrupting the game. I remember one hs game I had several years ago when my parter started the game out with about 5 travels. One on a wide open layup and all on the same team. Now that coach is pissed off and guess what, game goes into toilet. It got so bad that everytime a kid did something with the ball, TRAVELING from the bench and fans. At half, I told my partner, they're hs players, let em play. I'm not calling that nitpicky travel. I'm not watching nobody's feet that hard because I'm taking the broad global view of all plays in the game. (Damn sure I'm sitting there watching somebody feet and I miss the punch in the face.) Let's just make sure we get the obvious and everyone goes home happy. With that being said, I will admit that because of this, I will miss the marginal travels. I'll take that because I get game flow on the other end and once the players settled in to the game, they usually quit doing that anyway.
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 08:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
To be honest... I've heard college and high school clinicians ask campers "who the hell saw that besides yourself, and did you really need to interrupt the game with that call"?
Did you reply, "why don't you ask the player why he really needed to interrupt the game with that violation?"
Old Thu Aug 02, 2007, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
Now I totally understand where those philosophies come from. They come from the assignors that those two refs work for. If you are going to stick around, you darn well better call what your assignor wants. No problem, I can do that. Those two D-1 refs are at the highest levels and can adjust to call the game anyway they are asked.

However, when I look at the "big picture" of basketball, I really think these kinds of philosophies hurt the game overall. Just my two cents. Interested in hearing other thoughts.
You're exactly right. Throw all the philosophies out the window and call the travel, just be 100+% when you make them. You don't want to have any "gotcha" travels, you want the real thing every time.
Old Thu Aug 02, 2007, 12:34am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School

I'm not calling that nitpicky travel. I'm not watching nobody's feet that hard because I'm taking the broad global view of all plays in the game. (Damn sure I'm sitting there watching somebody feet and I miss the punch in the face.) Let's just make sure we get the obvious and everyone goes home happy. With that being said, I will admit that because of this, I will miss the marginal travels. I'll take that because I get game flow on the other end and once the players settled in to the game, they usually quit doing that anyway.

Anybody got anything to add to this?

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Aug 02, 2007, 07:32am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
Pretty much says it all, doesn't it?
Old Thu Aug 02, 2007, 11:42am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Pretty much says it all, doesn't it?

The legend continues.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Aug 02, 2007, 11:47am
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
I'm not watching nobody's feet
So you are watching somebody's feet? What else aren't you not watching?

I don't not get what you don't not mean here.
Old Thu Aug 02, 2007, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
Yea, I always want to add, "Consider the source."