Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 20, 2007, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
How would you call these:
1) A1 attempting throw-in in front court. Throws deep, offline, causing A5 to run to attempt a catch and in the process B5 and A5 colide, while A5 is attempting the catch. Is there a foul on B5 or is it judgement based on each players position at point of catch / crash (ie: no call and play on)? Could there be a foul on A5? Does the defense have the greater responsibility for contact?

2) During rebound, ball is tapped into deep frontcourt and A1 & B1 colide hard while attempting to retrieve it. Is there ever a call in this situation?
I had a somewhat similar situation where a loose ball in the front court was being chased by A1 and B1......they both dove for ball, A1 was closest and seemed to touch ball first as B1 gave his best Brian Uhrlacher imitation sending A1 into next week. I called a foul on B1 as he appeared to recklessly slam into A1, even though both of them were diving for the ball. A1's AAU coach of course went ballistic screaming his guy has just as much right to the ball, which is true, yet in my eye, he created illegal contact above and beyond. I know it's impossible to give a judgement base on a few of my words, but wondering how some of the board 'elders' view this? I felt comfortable with my call, yet was thinking about it after the game and filing it away for another time. Thoughts?
Old Fri Jul 20, 2007, 01:13pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
I felt comfortable with my call, yet was thinking about it after the game and filing it away for another time. Thoughts?
If you were comfortable with the call, don't over-think it. Trust your judgment.
Old Fri Jul 20, 2007, 02:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Keep moving and tell the coach that a loose ball isn't license for a rugby scrum.
Old Fri Jul 20, 2007, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
If you were comfortable with the call, don't over-think it. Trust your judgment.
You're right..........