The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Can someone provide more context on this rule?
Fed. 8-6-14 page 67
"A runner is out when a defensive player has the ball, or is about to catch a thrown ball, and the runner remains on her feet and crashes into the defensive player. If the contact is determined to be malicious, the offender shall be ejected. An errant throw drawing the defense into the path of the runner is not interference. Penalty - The ball is dead and the runner is out. Each other runner must return to the last base legally touched at the time of the interference."

Let's say the runner is not malicious at all, just forgot to slide. Crash happens. Again, not malicious at all

A. Ball arrived before runner. No slide. Crash dislodges ball. I want the play to continue with a no call.
B. Ball did not make it before crash. I could see obstruction.

In reading and re-reading this, I think the key sentence is "errant throw...". Basically the fielder should not be in the way of the runner without the ball. If so, then easy obstruction call. I guess I am having a problem with a non-malicious crash with a called out.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rafking
Can someone provide more context on this rule?
Fed. 8-6-14 page 67
"A runner is out when a defensive player has the ball, or is about to catch a thrown ball, and the runner remains on her feet and crashes into the defensive player. If the contact is determined to be malicious, the offender shall be ejected. An errant throw drawing the defense into the path of the runner is not interference. Penalty - The ball is dead and the runner is out. Each other runner must return to the last base legally touched at the time of the interference.

Let's say the runner is not malicious at all, just forgot to slide. Crash happens. Again, not malicious at all.

No, but inteference.

A. Ball arrived before runner. No slide. Crash dislodges ball. I want the play to continue with a no call.

DDB, interference.

B. Ball did not make it before crash. I could see obstruction.

In reading and re-reading this, I think the key sentence is "errant throw...". Basically the fielder should not be in the way of the runner without the ball. If so, then easy obstruction call. I guess I am having a problem with a non-malicious crash with a called out.

Hope I got all this together. We are in the middle of a storm and
kept getting banged around.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
You must be getting banged by what we just got finished with. There were some 77 mph winds clocked awhile ago in Dallas. This one probably washed us out for the next 2 or 3 days. If it keeps this up, my first full week of softball may be in the rec leagues. I haven't been able to call one full week's schedule yet.
Old Sun Mar 07, 2004, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

That was a pretty impressive storm front that moved through!!! I, too, have yet to get in one full week since the season began.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.