Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 01:58pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Reading to much into my comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
And any official that worries about it, or even thinks about it, is in the wrong business.
Never said I worried about it or even thought about it when I am working a game or even after a game. I'm just aware that I can affect the outcome if I do not do my part to be the best I can be.

I am not making a call in a game based on how I think it will affect another man's job. I am making the call based on the information given to me by the players involved in the play.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 02:24pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_sohl
Never said I worried about it or even thought about it when I am working a game or even after a game. I'm just aware that I can affect the outcome if I do not do my part to be the best I can be.

I am not making a call in a game based on how I think it will affect another man's job. I am making the call based on the information given to me by the players involved in the play.
You're doing exactly what you're supposed to be doing too. You're worried about doing your job properly. That's all that you can control. What a single coach thinks about one call in a game really is irrelevant. Coach's have got a different agenda entirely, as pointed out by good ol' Bob's statement. You could make the right call, and the coach could still lose his job because that call cost him the game. Bob kinda forgot about that.

Coach Bob's statement has nothing to do with the realities of college officiating. You will be judged on your total body of work, not one lonely call. I'm still waiting to meet the official that has never missed or blown a call.

That was my point.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
You're doing exactly what you're supposed to be doing too. You're worried about doing your job properly. That's all that you can control. What a single coach thinks about one call in a game really is irrelevant. Coach's have got a different agenda entirely, as pointed out by good ol' Bob's statement. You could make the right call, and the coach could still lose his job because that call cost him the game. Bob kinda forgot about that.

Coach Bob's statement has nothing to do with the realities of college officiating. You will be judged on your total body of work, not one lonely call. I'm still waiting to meet the official that has never missed or blown a call.

That was my point.
I'm here...what ya want to know
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

That was my point.
I agree. That "one crappy call" didnt' cost the coach his / her job. The crappy play by his / her team for the first 39 minutes of this game and the 40 previous games cost the coach his / her job.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_sohl
The issue that he is really talking about is an official that screws up a rule, not judgement. There is no excuse for screwing up a rule, we should know the rules and an official that screws up a rule at the end of a game HAS possibly cost a coach his/her job or bonuses.
I guess I heard it a little different or took it differently than you did.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I agree. That "one crappy call" didnt' cost the coach his / her job. The crappy play by his / her team for the first 39 minutes of this game and the 40 previous games cost the coach his / her job.
A funny thing about his comment -- The UCSB players were the scorekeepers for the games. Towards the end of one of the games I was watching, one of the coaches was upset about a call or no call. The player keeping score said to me, yeah, like that's what cost your team the game, not the free throws your players just missed. I almost told him he should tell his coach that.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 07:04pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
That's the good thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFHusker
A funny thing about his comment -- The UCSB players were the scorekeepers for the games. Towards the end of one of the games I was watching, one of the coaches was upset about a call or no call. The player keeping score said to me, yeah, like that's what cost your team the game, not the free throws your players just missed. I almost told him he should tell his coach that.
about D1 level kids, they realize for the most part that the officials don't determine the outcome of the game, their play does. That players comments are a great example of that. Of course you have your exceptions.