The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Headed to UCSB for camp (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/36058-headed-ucsb-camp.html)

w_sohl Thu Jun 28, 2007 06:30pm

Headed to UCSB for camp

who else is?

TRef21 Sun Jul 01, 2007 09:24pm

So how did your UCSB Camp go? I was a floor mentor and really hope all the staff helped you become a better official.

w_sohl Mon Jul 02, 2007 04:14pm

It was good. I learned alot, mostly that I need to slow down. Did we work together at all?

Mwanr1 Mon Jul 02, 2007 07:19pm

What kind of camp is it?

AFHusker Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:58pm

I really enjoyed the camp. It was well worth the money.

TRef21 Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by w_sohl
It was good. I learned alot, mostly that I need to slow down. Did we work together at all?

I very horrible with screen names. What was your name again. Would surprise if we did.

Tommy Loera

TRef21 Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mwanr1
What kind of camp is it?

This is a JC Camp that is run by Dr. White for his Western States Conference. Joanne Vendito is there as well for the womens game. It's a pretty fun camp to work. I went on staff this year and helped out my fellow officials. It was nice giving back and also learned alot too. UCI was really good this year as well. I helped out there with filming and all kinds of other stuff

AFHusker Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:31am

Coaches Comment?

TRef and W_Sohl -- What did you think of Bob Williams' (UCSB men's coach) comment about being aware that one call could cost a coach his job?

TRef21 Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:08pm

I came late on Friday on missed all the passports since I was floor mentoring and talking with my evaluators. Some stuff about Bob. I think he is a real good guy. Has a lot of class and expects the most out of his players. What did he say about the topic. Did we work together??

AFHusker Wed Jul 04, 2007 09:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRef21
I came late on Friday on missed all the passports since I was floor mentoring and talking with my evaluators. Some stuff about Bob. I think he is a real good guy. Has a lot of class and expects the most out of his players. What did he say about the topic. Did we work together??

No we didn't work together.

I agree that overall he seems like a good guy.

The example he used was a team making it to the Big West championship and losing because of a call late in the game thus not making it to the NCAA tourney because the conference usually only gets one team in. The losing team hadn't been to the NCAA tourney in a long time. He said that call late in the game could cost the coach his job.

With that said though, I was impressed with his statement to the players and coaches at the camp before the games started. He told them to treat the officials with respect. From the sounds of it he was pleased that the officials were T'g and ejecting if needed. One coach was ejected twice. Don't think his team will be invited back.

TRef21 Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:17pm

I didn't see that game but heard what happened. All I could say that those officials in Big West working that game gave 100%. I work for the Supervisor in his DIII and JC conference. Like we hear all the time, we are human and will make a mistake. But I can see where he is coming from. If you look at, at levels of college basketball a coach can lose their job because of a call.

AFHusker Thu Jul 05, 2007 08:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRef21
If you look at, at levels of college basketball a coach can lose their job because of a call.

It isn't a call that cost him his job. If he gets fired after a close game with a questionable call late in the game, he was well on his way to getting fired anyway.

Jurassic Referee Thu Jul 05, 2007 09:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFHusker
It isn't a call that cost him his job. If he gets fired after a close game with a questionable call late in the game, he was well on his way to getting fired anyway.

It's just another excuse from a second rate coach either looking to blame the officials for his own screw-ups or trying to gain an advantage somewhere down the road. I've heard that bullsh!t before too many times. What these kind of clowns forget is that there's two teams out there and two head coaches....not just his. Any official that thinks about whether one one of his calls could cost somebody their job or not sureasheck is in the wrong avocation. You can't referee scared.

Ol' Bob ain't the great guy that these guys think he is.

w_sohl Thu Jul 05, 2007 01:47pm

He's right to a degree...

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFHusker
TRef and W_Sohl -- What did you think of Bob Williams' (UCSB men's coach) comment about being aware that one call could cost a coach his job?

The issue that he is really talking about is an official that screws up a rule, not judgement. There is no excuse for screwing up a rule, we should know the rules and an official that screws up a rule at the end of a game HAS possibly cost a coach his/her job or bonuses. Coaches have incentive laden contracts, finish in the top half of the Big Ten, top three, win Big Ten tourney, qualify for NCAA, advance to Sweet 16, Elite 8, Final 4, Title game, Win it all. An offical that screws a rule can cost a coach 100s of thousands, if not millions, of dollars by not knowing his rules. We cn all face the fact that on occasion our judgement is going to be wrong, but as long as we are putting ourselves in the correct position to make te call and we slow ourselves down and see the whole play we will make the correct call a large majority of the time. Any official that doesn't see how our job can affect another man's job is nieve.

Jurassic Referee Thu Jul 05, 2007 01:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by w_sohl
Any official that doesn't see how our job can affect another man's job is nieve.

And any official that worries about it, or even thinks about it, is in the wrong business.