The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 09, 2005, 03:53am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Well first let me say Hi to everyone, Hi.

This will be my first ref camp, and I hope to do well there. If anybody has any tips or pointers for me I think I could use them. As for now I would just like to say hi. thanks for any help that you can give me.
Old Sat Jul 09, 2005, 05:11am
Official Forum Member

Work hard, listen, watch and absorb. Most importantly don't "yeah but" or argue with your evaluators and have fun.
Old Sat Jul 09, 2005, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

First off, definately no "yabuts." Listen to what your evaluators have to say, smile and nod, and adapt to what they want in that game. When you get home, you can sort through everything and see what advice you want to keep and what you want to throw away.

Second, this may have been the point of your post, but set a goal for yourself (preferably one that's in line with the camp's agenda). Maybe you need to work on your mechanics, or perhaps your dead-ball officiating is something on which you want to focus.

Finally, pace yourself. If you give 110% in your first game, you'll have nothing left come the last game of the camp. Obviously, give your best effort every game (especially if it's a tryout camp), but don't wear yourself out too soon.

On a side note, I just realized your moniker. Is this just your first time at camp, or your first year reffing altogether? That might help us guide you a bit more in what to be aware of at camps.
Old Sat Jul 09, 2005, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drothamel
ditto.
Old Sat Jul 09, 2005, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

This is my first time at bing a ref. Other then playing the game myself and helping with my boys team. again I thank you all for the input.

I have already been studing the rules and looking at the two and three whisle crews rules, not sure on some of it but I guess that it will all come together at camp. I hope
Old Sat Jul 09, 2005, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Welcome aboard. Let us know how the camp went.
Old Sat Jul 09, 2005, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Hi FTR,

Since this is your first camp you'll find that it'll be your most overwhelming one, as well. You're going to be flooded with new info and mechanics and most likely won't be able to incorporate everything by your last game of the camp.

My biggest recommendation is to bring a good notebook and jot even the tiniest suggestion down. When I evaluate I like it when the refs listen to what I say and write down my hints. You may not wish or be able to incorporate the suggestions into YOUR game, but at least you'll have a record of what was said.

Inevitably, most individuals have a bad game or two at camp. Happens to the best of us. If you have a less than stellar game, take some personal time and don't let it affect your next one. Reflect, see how you can improve and elevate your game for the rest of the camp.

All the best!!!
Old Sun Jul 10, 2005, 12:38pm
M.A.S.H.

Just know that you can read the books all you want but whenever you get on the floor you will make mistakes. Just learn from them and listen to your evaluators -- they are there to help you!!! Good luck!
Old Mon Jul 11, 2005, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Hustle.

There is no need to justify yourself to the evaluators, so the phrase "Yeah, but..." should not be uttered.

If you are unclear on what you were told by an evaluator, ask informational questions. Keep at it until you understand what you're being told.

You'll likely be given a lot of information, especially since you're new at this. There is NO way you can possibly incorporate it all at once. Don't even try. Instead, take good notes on what you're being told, and pick just one or two items to work on for the next game and focus on those. Your notes will help you continue to work on one or two items for the coming year.

Try stuff. Camp is one of the best places to experiment. If you screw something up badly at camp, so what?

Watch the games you are not working. If your camp allows it, listen in on what the evaluators are telling those officials. Learn from others and their mistakes so that you don't have to make every mistake personally.

Do not get frustrated when evaluator A tells you that the very best way to do such-and-such is this and then evaluator B tells you that the very best way to do the same such-and-such is that. Both evaluators have likely been very successful doing it their way. Learn from them both. Take notes on both ways. Try both ways. See which way works best for you. And just smile when evaluator C tells you something entirely different.

You do not need to tell everybody that you're new at this. It will most likely be obvious, fresh meat has a unique smell . If it's not obvious, why burden the coaches, players and other officials with that knowledge But do tell your partner(s). They'll need to know.

Spend time studying the rules, cases, mechanics, etc. before you go. Spend your camp dollars learning the stuff you won't easily get from a $5 official's manual.

Most importantly, have a great time. This is supposed to be fun
Old Mon Jul 11, 2005, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know the format of your camp, so some of this stuff may not apply, but here's what I would recommend. I'm also going to assume this camp is for being seen by college supervisors.

If its a several day camp and you breakfast is offered (say in the cafeteria), be there. Call it silly if you want, but there are some supervisors who want to know who's disciplined enough to be up and ready in situations where you don't have to be. The camps I went to, maybe half the guys showed up for breakfast, but the supervisor was there every morning and so was I.

Be on time to everything. They don't want to hear about you being held up, just be there.

Be seen and not heard. Depending on your format, you will have some down time between your assignments and other activities. Go sit next to one of the game evaluators and listen to their critiques of the other officials. Ask questions during dead balls, but don't ask question just to ask. IF YOU ALREADY KNOW THE ANSWER, DON'T ASK IN AN ATTEMPT TO SHOW HOW SMART OR HOW AWARE YOU ARE. These guys are probably among the best in the world at detecting the slightest amount of BS. If you are really young (i.e. 22 and under) you might get away with it. Over 25, you won't.

Incidentally, if you are young (under 25), do everything you can to emphasize your maturity. Dress conservatively, even if casual. And don't drink too much (alcohol) at any social or any late night dorm bull session.

Finally, talk to the camp directors about things that have nothing to do with basketball. Find out about them, where they work, their families, and other Dale Carnegie type stuff (read "How to Win Friends..." if you haven't already).
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Along those lines, I will be doing my first "clinic" a week from Friday. Should be interesting and similar to a camp. It's part of a high school girls team camp and we will work games and be evaluated. I'm pretty excited since I missed a camp opportunity earlier this summer due to vacation.

The only experience I've had was doing church league games (of which I was also the director) this past winter with a couple experienced referees. It was helpful but I'm sure nothing like "real" games where mechanics and positioning are much more important.

I am poring through the rules, manuals, case books as well but nothing like real world experience.

Besides important aspects like being relaxed and being firm/confident any ideas like a list Top 5 rookie mistakes regarding calls/mechanics on the court?

Thanks