The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 24, 2007, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Pushing/Posting

Freshman boys tournament. Post players beating each other up. We call it on gold, then on blue, then on gold again. Gold coach says, "He's posting up!"

"Coach, he was pushing and clearing out."
"No, he was posting up!"
"He was pushing. He's allowed to maintain his position, but he's not allowed to move the other player"
"Well then how's he supposed to stop him from getting the ball?"

Second half, same routine. If they'd been fouling out, this kid wouldn't have even been playing by then (I hate that!). Same explanations to coach, who clearly didn't have a clue.

Next game, same gold team, different opponent. SAME EXACT GAME STYLE, SAME FOULS ON SAME POST PLAYER!! Same explanations. Second half, again same stuff, same calls, same stupid excuses. no questions, no attempt to understand or adjust, no learning at all. I was tempted to toss the coach just for being an idiot!!

Okay, that's my rant. Now, might I have done anything differently that could have taught the kid a lesson and given him a better understanding of how to properly play the post? I expect trying to teach the coach anything is hopeless.
Old Sun Jun 24, 2007, 07:57am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Okay, that's my rant. Now, might I have done anything differently that could have taught the kid a lesson and given him a better understanding of how to properly play the post? I expect trying to teach the coach anything is hopeless.
What was being called, how was it being called on the other courts, in the other games ? Was the philosophy summer fun, become varsity players, get to know your teammates ? Did you have real basketball coaches coaching, assistant track coaches coaching, little league baseball managers coaching ?
Were your colleagues officiating with real rules or were they officiating to keep the tourney moving ?

Were you standing on an island by yourself ? No woman is an island.
Old Sun Jun 24, 2007, 09:28am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Now, might I have done anything differently that could have taught the kid a lesson and given him a better understanding of how to properly play the post? I expect trying to teach the coach anything is hopeless.
Yeah. Don't coach players or try to teach them lessons. Leave that up to their coaches. That's their job- right or wrong. Just do your job. Call the fouls uniformly and consistently. If that doesn't teach the kid a lesson, then nothing is gonna help him. If the coach(or player) asks, just say he is illegally displacing his opponent. 'Nuff said. That's all the detail that's needed.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Sun Jun 24, 2007 at 09:56am.
Old Sun Jun 24, 2007, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
It's not your job to teach lessons. Keep blowing the whistle. If they don't adjust they don't adjust. You are not required to explan your calls, period. And it seems to me you were attempting to answer a question when a question was not asked. No way no how I would have spent 2 games explaining my calls to any coach. You gave this coach far too much freedom.
Old Sun Jun 24, 2007, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Yea, I know it's not my job to teach lessons, but at these lower levels (kids who would be playing freshman ball next year), I guess I just feel like it IS my job to let folks know how good ball should be called. The other coaches WERE adjusting, and helping their kids, and this coach was so far out of line I kinda felt sorry for his players. I don't mean he was out of line in terms of his behavior or his words or actions, he didn't do much yelling or whining, but he was so wrong about the rules and what he was teaching his kids was so far off base.

I had a different partner for each of the games, and all three of us were very consistent, and were really trying to pay close attention to the post, so that it wouldn't get out of control. We'd call it and the kid would quit, and then he'd go into a time out, and when he came back onto the court, he'd be shoving again. It was obvious, the coach was telling him to keep pushing. I even saw once when his direct opponent was demonstrating to him about displacement.

I suppose we did all we could. I'm just trying to work on optimizing my talking and I'm wishing I could learn a little something from this experience (besides not to do any more tournaments where the players can't foul out.)
Old Sun Jun 24, 2007, 11:15am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Yea. . . but. . .

FWIW, I agree with Jurrassic and Dan_Ref. Don't teach, don't coach. And don't try to save a stupid coach from himself at this level. Hopefully, in the Fall, the kid will have a coach who knows a little more about what he or she is doing.

Quote:
I suppose we did all we could. I'm just trying to work on optimizing my talking
"Straight up!" "No push!" "Get the arm off!" "Get the leg out!" That's about all I use and it tends to work. Even if they don't really know how to play defense, they can respond to simple commands like those.
Old Sun Jun 24, 2007, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

It's also not your job to keep explaining the same thing over and over again.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Jun 24, 2007, 02:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Yea, I know it's not my job to teach lessons, but at these lower levels (kids who would be playing freshman ball next year), I guess I just feel like it IS my job to let folks know how good ball should be called.
And you let people know how good ball should be called by calling good ball. End of story.

Your calls themselves do all the speaking that needs to be done. Trying to coach the kids and also coach their coach isn't part of your mandate as an official.

JMHO.
Old Sun Jun 24, 2007, 05:18pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
No woman is an island.
What about Rosie O'Donnell?
Old Sun Jun 24, 2007, 06:08pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
What about Rosie O'Donnell?

I think she is a continent.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Coach, he was pushing and clearing out."
"No, he was posting up!"
"He was pushing. He's allowed to maintain his position, but he's not allowed to move the other player"
"Well then how's he supposed to stop him from getting the ball?"
You gave your explaination, but the coach doesn't want to hear it. No need for you to waste your breath and give it again. If he persists, either ignore him or give him the T.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

We've all been in the same boat. What you really want is make the game go well. You want to call fouls and have the players adjust and make your game go well. And if calling fouls doesn't do it, then you want to talk to the players and coach and get them to come around so that your game will go well. But sometimes the player and/or coach are just not going to do it and you've got no choice but to keep blowing the whistle and the game won't go well. I hate those games.

You absolutely should be able to eject a coach for that. In fact, here's my rule change proposal for next year to address that very point, You Listening ChuckElias? Every official should be granted three general purpose ejections to be used at his/her discression during the season. They would be absolute and unquestionable. If somebody just needs gotten rid of, and you don't have a legitimate reason to do it, then use one of your three. If a player or coach is tossed three or more times during the season, he would be fined or suspended. That would go a long way toward idiot-proofing the game!
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 10:08am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
And if calling fouls doesn't do it, then you want to talk to the players and coach and get them to come around so that your game will go well.
As already stated, I completely disagree with that philosophy.

Of the players don't adjust, oh well......

If the game doesn't go well, that's their fault, not the officials.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Every official should be granted three general purpose ejections to be used at his/her discression during the season. They would be absolute and unquestionable.
We already have that - unlimited ability to assess flagrant technical fouls.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
We already have that - unlimited ability to assess flagrant technical fouls.
Not really. If you issue a flagrant T and toss a coach, you have to make phone calls, write reports, and generally justify your action. The coach will certainly be doing the same, and sending tape to the state office as well. It's a hassle. And many coaches know how to game the system, how to be a thorn in your side without getting so close to the line that you can justify tossing them.

No, what I'm proposing, tounge-in-cheek, is the moral equivalent of the "he needed killing" defense. If the coach is getting under your skin, you toss him. On your report all you need write is: One of my three freebies.