The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
As already stated, I completely disagree with that philosophy.

Of the players don't adjust, oh well......

If the game doesn't go well, that's their fault, not the officials.
I totally agree. Although I think most of us have at least one game like this during the latter part our formative years. I know I did. It was late in the fourth quarter, the home team was getting killed, we'd already fouled out four of their starters, and I'm still having to call a lot of fouls. I even called a T with about 1:30 remaining. I hated that game, hated how it didn't flow, hated how it ended, and spent days racking my brains trying to figure out what more I could have done.

But it's all part of the learning process and now I know what you know: some games are just like that and all you can do is call the fouls.

I still hate those games.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Yea, I know it's not my job to teach lessons, but at these lower levels (kids who would be playing freshman ball next year), I guess I just feel like it IS my job to let folks know how good ball should be called.
I see, you want a job where you get to teach the young players how to play the game. hmmmm....what could that be...?

Here's the problem with your attitude: You mother a coach for 2 entire games, holding his hand, nurturing him, hugging him, trying to get him to see it your way....then he runs into someone who nails his @ss to the wall just as he's expecting the same high maintenance up close and personal treatment.

Is that fair to the coach? I don't think so.

So next time you want to play nurse-maid to a whining PITA coach let him know up front that you just happen to be a softy and most other officials wouldn't put up with his crap for more than 2 seconds.

This way I won't have to hear him whining across the court that all he wanted was an explanation as I'm walking to the other end to administer the 2 FTs to his opponent.

(You aint the only one btw...entirely too much explaining going on by lots of people.)
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 03:13pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle

But it's all part of the learning process and now I know what you know: some games are just like that and all you can do is call the fouls.

I still hate those games.
Those type of games are what formulated the Mick school of philosophy called "Get in, get done, get out."

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Mon Jun 25, 2007 at 03:20pm.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 03:19pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
(You aint the only one btw...entirely too much explaining going on by lots of people.)
And most of the time you're explaining it to someone who's only reason for asking in the first place is to try and get you to start calling the plays the way that they want it called. They're just trying to influence your calls to gain an advantage.

Silly monkeys.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
I see, you want a job where you get to teach the young players how to play the game. hmmmm....what could that be...?

Here's the problem with your attitude: You mother a coach for 2 entire games, holding his hand, nurturing him, hugging him, trying to get him to see it your way....then he runs into someone who nails his @ss to the wall just as he's expecting the same high maintenance up close and personal treatment.

Is that fair to the coach? I don't think so.

So next time you want to play nurse-maid to a whining PITA coach let him know up front that you just happen to be a softy and most other officials wouldn't put up with his crap for more than 2 seconds.

This way I won't have to hear him whining across the court that all he wanted was an explanation as I'm walking to the other end to administer the 2 FTs to his opponent.

Well, as usual, you're over-stating your case, but I get your point. I didn't say I wanted to talk more. I just have been working on talking and not-talking, and I"m trying to keep working on it. I get what you're saying about not talking so much, but it's just not my style, and hasn't worked well for me in the past. I was asking if there was anything more or different I might have said, but their probably wasn't. Now, will you just stfu, if I do too?
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, as usual, you're over-stating your case, but I get your point.
I'm overstating? You wrote this, I didn't.

Quote:
Next game, same gold team, different opponent. SAME EXACT GAME STYLE, SAME FOULS ON SAME POST PLAYER!! Same explanations. Second half, again same stuff, same calls, same stupid excuses. no questions, no attempt to understand or adjust, no learning at all. I was tempted to toss the coach just for being an idiot!!
Not one game, but two games of explaining?

And you want advice on what more you could have said?

Here's advice: call your game and don't apologize for it. One of the best officials I ever knew was fond of saying "This aint a debate coach, it's a basketball game".

Try it.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Not really. If you issue a flagrant T and toss a coach, you have to make phone calls, write reports, and generally justify your action. The coach will certainly be doing the same, and sending tape to the state office as well. It's a hassle. And many coaches know how to game the system, how to be a thorn in your side without getting so close to the line that you can justify tossing them.

No, what I'm proposing, tounge-in-cheek, is the moral equivalent of the "he needed killing" defense. If the coach is getting under your skin, you toss him. On your report all you need write is: One of my three freebies.
Gotcha.

I could see a point for that. Of course, most of my ejections have come in intramural ball - the supervisors have to write up the reports for those.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 09:09pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I think she is a continent.

MTD, Sr.
I think she's a hemisphere.
Old Mon Jun 25, 2007, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
I'm overstating? You wrote this, I didn't.

Not one game, but two games of explaining?

And you want advice on what more you could have said?

Here's advice: call your game and don't apologize for it. One of the best officials I ever knew was fond of saying "This aint a debate coach, it's a basketball game".

Try it.
I explained twice in the first game, once in the second. I didn't ask what more, but IF there was something more OR DIFFERENT.

Yea, you're overstating. The whole PITA whining thing in your last post was quite over stated.

I did call my game, and I didn't apologize. Now, I'm calling my post and I'm not apologizing. But it's not working. See? I need to work on how to talk, not how much or how little. That's what I"m trying to work on. HOW to talk.

Obviously, my stfu didn't work, but sometimes it can, right? SO HOW DO I TALK? Get it??
Old Tue Jun 26, 2007, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Chicken soup?

Summer tournaments with rules adaptations suck. The only rule that applies is, "You can't make chicken soup out of chicken sh!t."
Old Tue Jun 26, 2007, 02:14am
In Memoriam

Quote:

Obviously, my stfu didn't work, but sometimes it can, right? SO HOW DO I TALK? Get it??
Go back to your very first post in this thread. Your initial response to a coach's question was "Coach, he was pushing and clearing out." After you say that, STFU. You answered his question. You also told the player what he did wrong with the same response. Anything after that is a debate. Don't do debates.

Get it now?
Old Tue Jun 26, 2007, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
SO HOW DO I TALK?

Don't.
Old Tue Jun 26, 2007, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Now, will you just stfu,...
My, My, My rainmaker...how far we have progressed.

Atta girl.
Richland, WA
Old Wed Jun 27, 2007, 09:11am
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude
My, My, My rainmaker...how far we have progressed.

Atta girl.
Or is that DIGRESSED.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Thu Jun 28, 2007, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

I don't see what more you could have done to get the point across. Displacement, pushing, shoving, hands in the back, knee in the leg, elbow in the side...what didn't this coach/player understand? I might suggest he read the rulebook closely after the game.

I strongly disagree with the "no talking" philosophy espoused by some here. I have always found you can manage games better with a few carefully said words versus a stony silence. We need to understand that many coaches do not have a good grasp on the rules. Telling a player the correct rule only makes the game better for him/her and the next game official they have. I like hearing well timed, concise descriptions for players and coaches to explain common violations and fouls from an official...it tells me they give a sh*t, versus the cloistered monk school of silence officiating...this does not help the game.