The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 15, 2007, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

" Effort -Skills Challended" Partners II

Worked a varsity level summer camp last night – with an official whom – I swear to the almighty, did not make it across mid-court for 3 ˝ of the 4 games we did. And then was sometimes behind the play in transition. Oh he missed the first quarter because he was late. We were working in the old Cager style gym at the high school - the floor is not even an 84 ft long.

When he was the trail he either had his hands on his hips or had the Jack Benny pose (for those of you too young: arm horizontal across chest supporting other elbow and with other hand on cheek!) This is a kid (maybe 25 yrs old) and a coach at the JV level, I have had his games in the summer as well as seen his JV games before mine and he can be a whiner.

I talked to him for 3 minutes between the first and second games about at least looking like he was showing some effort, maybe put some air in the whistle at least once a quarter to show everyone it did work since he probably only made two calls in the first game.
So in the second game he started using his whistle - He is a ball watcher, and will call your primary – your sideline and your end line, and then miss/pass on the murder right in front of him and really has poor rules knowledge with no game management skills - if a coach said something about a call - he would explain the call every time. Even if he didn’t make it!

When I realized how this was going to work - I just called my own game and made sure that nobody got killed in his primary, and hung him out to the coaches do with as they please.
Mind you these were horrendous games with lopsided scores – but physical – good games to practice some management skills. – The coaches were reasonably easy on him but gave him a sufficient amount of grief based on his performance, I got some of it too – but any that was directed toward him I redirected to him.

Afterward he asked me why I let him take all the heat from the coaches. I told him for 25% effort he should take 75% of the grief. I could pay him for his total too, if he wanted.

I guess that wasn’t kind but based on the fact that he is young – I only bring this up because we were talking about “Weak” or to phrase it more kindly so as not to offend any one, “effort/skills challenged” partners the other day and I thought it interesting that this would come up. Did I do him wrong?
This one has to be close to the worst I have ever worked with – thank god it didn’t count for anything –
Comments welcome!
Old Fri Jun 15, 2007, 02:19pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

Sounds like you did about the best you could do under the circumstances. Here's a suggestion. Next time this happens, start calling everything on the court, especially things that happen right in front of him. When he asks you why you are doing that, tell him that since it appears as if he's expecting you to work as if you are alone, you figured you should start acting as if that was the case.

Then tell whoever is paying out for this to give you both checks, right in front of the other guy. Maybe he'll get the message.
Old Fri Jun 15, 2007, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

no -- but I am insensitive

I try and judge people based on their actions -- and in professional life I treat them accordingly. Now others will think that you were too harsh -- oh well I think that method speeds up the learning process rather than coddling.
Old Sat Jun 16, 2007, 06:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF
I guess that wasn’t kind but based on the fact that he is young – I only bring this up because we were talking about “Weak” or to phrase it more kindly so as not to offend any one, “effort/skills challenged” partners the other day and I thought it interesting that this would come up. Did I do him wrong?
This one has to be close to the worst I have ever worked with – thank god it didn’t count for anything –
Comments welcome!
Why are you picking on me?

Good feedback. I have to be honest I too worked a high school shootout yesterday and I too encourtered those "effort/skills challenged partners". Throughout the day, I thought about how it was discussed on labeling dare I say it "weak partners" who are there just for the money. I used those games to work on game management skills. From this point on I will personally use my 5th Amendment right to shut the F**K up when others use the term. It's not pleasant to experience.

Last edited by truerookie; Sat Jun 16, 2007 at 06:38am.
Old Sat Jun 16, 2007, 10:50am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
I too encourtered
Is that what happens when you encounter something on the court?

Just messin' with you. Had nothing better to do this morning.
Old Sat Jun 16, 2007, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett

And that is different today in what way???
Old Sat Jun 16, 2007, 06:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

What do you expect from a summer league? Not that I agree that his effort was the best, but most officials do not run all over the place in these kinds of leagues. Many of the summer leagues I work do not record personal fouls, have running clocks and in many cased do not shoot regular FTs and we almost never switch or use regular dead ball mechanics. Also in most cases officials are working games they would never get during the regular season. It is not uncommon that I work with a lesser experienced official in almost all my summer games. Is there something drastically different about these games that you are experiencing that I am not?

Peace
Old Sat Jun 16, 2007, 06:21pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
And that is different today in what way???
Usually I have nothing better to do all day, not just in the morning.
Old Sat Jun 16, 2007, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett

Yep, I blew it good one
Old Sat Jun 16, 2007, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Worked a varsity level summer camp last night
What does this mean, "varsity level summer camp"?
Quote:
Mind you these were horrendous games with lopsided scores – but physical – good games to practice some management skills.
Oh. You mean rec leagues. Got it, thanks.
Old Sun Jun 17, 2007, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
What do you expect from a summer league? Not that I agree that his effort was the best, but most officials do not run all over the place in these kinds of leagues. Many of the summer leagues I work do not record personal fouls, have running clocks and in many cased do not shoot regular FTs and we almost never switch or use regular dead ball mechanics. Also in most cases officials are working games they would never get during the regular season. It is not uncommon that I work with a lesser experienced official in almost all my summer games. Is there something drastically different about these games that you are experiencing that I am not?

Peace
We have several people around here that assign summer ball.
From some, I can just take the games and know I will be working with good partners and some I take the whole games and let them know I will bring my partner. This sure saves alot of grief.
Old Sun Jun 17, 2007, 12:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSportsFan
We have several people around here that assign summer ball.
From some, I can just take the games and know I will be working with good partners and some I take the whole games and let them know I will bring my partner. This sure saves alot of grief.
It is summer league. Is it that serious?

Peace
Old Sun Jun 17, 2007, 01:28pm

Quote:
This is a kid (maybe 25 yrs old) and a coach at the JV level, I have had his games in the summer as well as seen his JV games before mine and he can be a whiner.

I talked to him for 3 minutes between the first and second games about at least looking like he was showing some effort, maybe put some air in the whistle..... So in the second game he started using his whistle - He is a ball watcher, and will call your primary – your sideline and your end line
Careful what you wish for!!

Quote:
... Did I do him wrong?
Based on what you already know about this kid, yes you did imo. Why can't you just go out there, do your job, be satisfied with your effort and leave it that. I think a better question might be, why did the assigner give this guy games with you? Or maybe you want to have a discussion with your assigner about this guys poor approach to the game.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is summer league. Is it that serious?

Peace
IMO, yes it is. If I'm going to work summer ball, then it's gotta still be fun. Working with lazy and sorry partners is not fun and they usually come with trouble.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What do you expect from a summer league? Is there something drastically different about these games that you are experiencing that I am not? Peace
I do not disagree with you evaluation for the most part.
however most of us are in between camps or working on things that we learned at camps at this point - and we use these times for training newer or mor inexperienced officials as well as building our management skills. it was just terribly disapointing coming from a high level camp play with hard working officials and AAU state tourneys where people arer being observed and working hard to dealing with a PUTZ.