The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
What does this mean, "varsity level summer camp"?
High School Varsity players working with their coaches -

two days a week for three week stretch.

Top five teams in each division of seven teams advance to the last two days Tuesday/Thursday this week will be the medal rounds and championship of a one and out tournament.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Why can't you just go out there, do your job, be satisfied with your effort and leave it that.
Satisfied with my effort - I am - but I have a tough time in all fields tolerating a lack of effort on the job.

I can deal with ineperience if you want to learn, I can even deal with a bad employee if they put forth effort - but I can not tollerate slackard's at any level - especially when youtry to help them and they just blow you off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
I think a better question might be, why did the assigner give this guy games with you? Or maybe you want to have a discussion with your assigner about this guys poor approach to the game.
I did speak to the assignor about it over the weekend, yes it was to get an idea of the potential of the official and see if possibly he could fit in our group of officials, for school ball and at what levels.

I will work with him one more time, after the assignor talks to him, and re evaluate his effort.
We use these camps as sort of the practical part of your job interview so to speak during the off season.
let's jsut say for now he has two strikes, he is going to have to have some stellar performances in next several assingments to make the cut.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 08:02am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF
Top five teams in each division of seven teams advance
That's a strange set-up. Five teams advance? How do you set up a single-elimination tournament like that? Lots of first round byes?
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
That's a strange set-up. Five teams advance? How do you set up a single-elimination tournament like that? Lots of first round byes?
Depends on how many divisions of 7 you have.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sounds a lot like the NHL playoffs. Play the whole regular season to eliminate 20% of the teams.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 09:39am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Depends on how many divisions of 7 you have.
How many divisions would you need to get a tournament with no byes? 2 divisions gives you 10 teams in the playoffs, so you'd need 6 byes. 3 divisions gives you 15 teams, so 1 team would get a bye. 4 divisions gives you 20 teams, so 12 teams would get byes, etc.

What's x so that 2^x yields an answer ending in 0? There isn't any!

Last edited by Scrapper1; Mon Jun 18, 2007 at 09:43am.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How many divisions would you need to get a tournament with no byes? 2 divisions gives you 10 teams in the playoffs, so you'd need 6 byes. 3 divisions gives you 15 teams, so 1 team would get a bye. 4 divisions gives you 20 teams, so 12 teams would get byes, etc.
My original statement meant that you could have a setup with very few byes. As you discovered, 3 divisions would be 1 bye (and I like to look at the two division setup as having two play-in games ).

Quote:
Show-off.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 10:31am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSportsFan
IMO, yes it is. If I'm going to work summer ball, then it's gotta still be fun. Working with lazy and sorry partners is not fun and they usually come with trouble.
You are missing the point. These are not regular games. Often you are working many games in a row and the clock is almost always running. I do not see an official running all over the place like this is a normal game. At most this is just practice for the kids. They do not put banner’s up on the wall in June and July.

Peace
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 10:37am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF
I do not disagree with you evaluation for the most part.
however most of us are in between camps or working on things that we learned at camps at this point - and we use these times for training newer or mor inexperienced officials as well as building our management skills. it was just terribly disapointing coming from a high level camp play with hard working officials and AAU state tourneys where people arer being observed and working hard to dealing with a PUTZ.
You can still work on things and you do not need a perfect partner. Your partner has nothing to do with your hustle or what you call. Sometimes I think officials really need to put some things in perspective. I bet this is not that unusual or that uncommon at all. Even during the season when I work lower-level games, there are officials that do not take them seriously and I know this. It is part of life.

Peace
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
The first of the infinite values of x occurs at 2^x = 10 for values of x > 1.

Use

log2(n) = log(n)/log(2)
= log(n)/0.30103 (approximate to 5 decimal places)
= log(n) x 3.32192

Solving 2^x = 10

log2(10) = log(10) x 3.32192

or x = 3.32192

As I said this is the first of the infinite number of x values satisfying your condition.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Hmm - have to go with Dan here. The requirement for an integral value was implied in the original problem, but Scrapper and I went a bit too far in saying that there is no power of 2 which will end in a zero or a five.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 11:24am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
or x = 3.32192

As I said this is the first of the infinite number of x values satisfying your condition.
Right! Ok. Thanks for the info. Stupid me for not specifying that x should be a whole number of divisions.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
MODS!!! Why are we being subjected to this spam?!?! And from long time post-ers, heavy-hitters who should know better, too. I'm shocked, shocked I tell you. The worst part is I don't understand this stuff at all. It's just so offensive!!
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 11:47am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
The worst part is I don't understand this stuff at all.
That's because it's man talk, Missy.

School marms just don't get involved with the advanced math-u-matic-al form-u-li and datas and stuff like this. Soooooo....... back to the kitchen with you. Shoo, shoo......
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Stupid me for not specifying that x should be a whole number of divisions.
We agree.