The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 12:16pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Thank you! I like to keep in mind that often Team B will try to steal the ball from Team A. They call it a turnover. :P
Yabut....is it also a dribble every time the defense touches the ball?
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 12:21pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Yabut....is it also a dribble every time the defense touches the ball?
No, of course not. For this exact reason, we have a difference of opinion.

Silly goose, are you trying to put words into my mouth?
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You're a better man than I am. You can read minds.
All of us clock girls can.

FWIW, I have a block on the video play.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you need me for anything further, I'll be right over here.....
Put the popcorn away, I'm ignoring his remark...the one I'm sure is against forum rules.

And for what it's worth...the defender had both feet on the floor facing, and WASN'T moving forward at the point of contact. The question becomes was there control by the offensive player.

It's close, but no there wasn't...block.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You're a better man than I am. You can read minds.
JR, not sure why you keep pushing this issue. There are times when we do have to judge what the player is trying to do.
  • player in the lane gets fouled. Is that player shooting, passing, or just holding onto the ball. We have to make a judgement about what they were attempting to do since we'll either be putting them on the line or not. Sometimes it is obvoius, sometimes it is not....we have to read thier mind.
  • With a kick ball, was it intentional or not? We have to make a judgement about what the player was attempting to get it right. Sure, you might be able to see it at a kick even if it was not intentional but look a little like it could be, but still, you have to know the player's intent.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
JR, not sure why you keep pushing this issue. There are times when we do have to judge what the player is trying to do.
  • player in the lane gets fouled. Is that player shooting, passing, or just holding onto the ball. We have to make a judgement about what they were attempting to do since we'll either be putting them on the line or not. Sometimes it is obvoius, sometimes it is not....we have to read thier mind.
  • With a kick ball, was it intentional or not? We have to make a judgement about what the player was attempting to get it right. Sure, you might be able to see it at a kick even if it was not intentional but look a little like it could be, but still, you have to know the player's intent.
How often does a player slap at the ball unintentionally?
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
Put the popcorn away, I'm ignoring his remark...the one I'm sure is against forum rules.

And for what it's worth...the defender had both feet on the floor facing, and WASN'T moving forward at the point of contact. The question becomes was there control by the offensive player.

It's close, but no there wasn't...block.
I've looked at this video over and over (as shown on You Tube...is there another way to download it and go frame-by-frame?). I just don't see that the player had stopped moving forward at the time the contact started. He was facing but it appeared he was just getting both feet down at the time of contact. I see the body as still shifting forward over the feet at the time of contact.

If you can show me a better way to watch the video, I'd be willing to revise my opinion if I see different.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How often does a player slap at the ball unintentionally?
??? I'm just commenting on the assertion by Jurrassic about mind reading in general....not specifically a slap at the ball.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 01:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Translation: I do not have an answer for his question, so I have to make it seem like I am ignoring him even though I purposely used your reference for this response.

Peace
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
??? I'm just commenting on the assertion by Jurrassic about mind reading in general....not specifically a slap at the ball.
I know, I was adding to your list.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Translation: I do not have an answer for his question, so I have to make it seem like I am ignoring him even though I purposely used your reference for this response.

Peace
Let's see I went back to the thread from the other day, I never saw your question until just now.

Second, I find it funny that someone who goes out of his way to down play working a final, which is an accomplishment every HS official looks forward to doing one day, very telling.

My take, and the answer to your question, is that you want to hide behind the numbers/experience excuse. That's easier than admitting that maybe, just maybe, you aren't as good as you think you are.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 01:49pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Something to munch on.

"If you were to ask an official and a coach how important an official was to a football game, responses would be light years apart, but in reality, an official is probably twice as important as a coach thinks he is, but only half as important as he thinks he is." - Neil Payne

Maybe it works for ability too.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've looked at this video over and over (as shown on You Tube...is there another way to download it and go frame-by-frame?). I just don't see that the player had stopped moving forward at the time the contact started. He was facing but it appeared he was just getting both feet down at the time of contact. I see the body as still shifting forward over the feet at the time of contact.

If you can show me a better way to watch the video, I'd be willing to revise my opinion if I see different.
That's what I saw too, and I only watched it once. I think even if the dark-jerseyes player had control, that the defender didn't get legal guarding position -- it appeared to me that he violated the offensive player's vertical space.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 04:02pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Um, Camron, that was my point if you go back and read my responses. See my post #27. See your post #25. Aren't we basically saying the exact same thing?

What am I missing?
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 08:18pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I think you have to call a block for safety reasons.

Time to exorcise the devil (Old School) from Bob.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio