Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 06:08pm
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Are you serious, Mick...the kid turns his body and dives into the dribbler's legs...dribbler then lands on his neck/shoulder area...even if he does bounce right back up, that is absolutely a non-basketball play and gets that little turd tossed right then and there...
YU.P. I'm runnin' right alongside of Bad Zebra. The only reason I consider it an intentional was cuz it was way to close to the moving player and way too stoopid.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

this is how officials get into trouble -- one play and conflicting results. just from how he was shooting freethrows he comes off as a goof who doest give a crap. there shouldnt be much doubt that he wasnt trying to be funny or do something more stupid however there are a few here that would allow him to continue being funny.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 07:53pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
this is how officials get into trouble -- one play and conflicting results. just from how he was shooting freethrows he comes off as a goof who doest give a crap. there shouldnt be much doubt that he wasnt trying to be funny or do something more stupid however there are a few here that would allow him to continue being funny.

Agreed...take the whole sequence into account and he was not there to play basketball - he needed to be gone.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 08:27pm
In Memoriam

Not to worry, rocky and deecee.
I got your back, either way you go.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 10:29pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Guys - I don't think there's any question that this was a flagrant foul (intentional or not) and deserves an ejection. But why are we wasting time debating about the free throw antics, etc.? Obviously this was some kind of rec game as suggested by the jerseys and such, so having a kid goof around a little is just what happens in those kind of games. My guess is the refs were just counting the minutes until the bar down the street opened.
Old Sat Jun 09, 2007, 08:49am
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
.... But why are we wasting time debating about the free throw antics, etc.? Obviously this was some kind of rec game
It's a great learning environment!

I got my start in officiating doing games just like this. High level of goofiness of the players and ample opportunities to test rules knowledge. Think of the craziest scenario you can, and you'll likely find one even crazier at any local gym at 10:00 Saturday morning. Nothing matches the stupidity of 10 pre-pubescent males running around a confined area.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Sat Jun 09, 2007 at 08:57am.
Old Sat Jun 09, 2007, 06:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra
Nothing matches the stupidity of 10 pre-pubescent males running around a confined area.
Multiply by 10 and you have the U.S. Senate.
Old Sun Jun 10, 2007, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Multiply by 10 and you have the U.S. Senate.
The Republican part, anyway

WHOOT!!
Old Sun Jun 10, 2007, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Anyway, on second look at the video....

Goofball is obviously not your prototypical basketball player.

What I see is dribbler going up the floor fast - Goofball goes to intercept him, dribbler has head down, and then goes slightly airborne to make that half-baseball pass....Goofball sees him flying through the air and, being the athlete that he is, just ducks instinctively. That, combined with the dribbler being airborne, sends dribbler flying.

Intentional, for sure.

Not so sure about flagrant.

My $0.02.
Old Sun Jun 10, 2007, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Whether he's just being stoopid, uncoordinated, bit off more than he could chew, or whatever, it really doesn't matter to me. The result of his actions was very dangerous and definitely non-basketball. For the safety of everybody else on the floor (not to mention what little is left of the integrity of the game) it's time for little Johnny to leave.
Old Sun Jun 10, 2007, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

i am not arguing the level of play or the age group -- i am simply stating we have one set of events and we have 2 seperate penalties. this isnt a case of bang-bang block/charge. and this is actually a good sample of how varying levels of judgement actually make our job so much harder.

i think it would be great if the fed came up with a video with many common type plays/contacts and had an answer like "this should be called X". that would aleviate at least 50-70% of judgement issues. but instead we get stupid rules rewritten to make even less sense.
Old Mon Jun 11, 2007, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
pretty obvious that kid doesnt belong on the court.
Amen. After the turnaround jumper on the second FT, I'd recommend a drug test for this Bozo.
Old Tue Jun 12, 2007, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Opportunity to make the game "better" and get control over the circus being called a game. See post on the camp situation for further reference. Flagrant foul, have a nice day.

P.S., use the morning to improve your golf game or go fishin' with the boy and forgo the $10.
Old Tue Jun 12, 2007, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
For the FT shooter leaving the semi-circle before the ball hit the ring/backboard?

Yup, that was a violation.
OMG, the players even have their shirts untucked!!!! Why the no call?

I would simply look at the coach and tell him that this player is finished playing basketball today. No stearn looks at the player, and no flagarant is necessary. This doesn't appear to be a sanctioned game of any kind.
Old Tue Jun 12, 2007, 08:43am
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z REF
P.S., use the morning to improve your golf game or go fishin' with the boy and forgo the $10.
Great attitude. Penalize the other 9 guys on the floor because of one goofball? Chances are some of them actually love the game and are developing actual skills. If everyone took that attitude, no one officiates for the young kids coming up. They're left with OS.