The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Youtube video (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/35456-youtube-video.html)

Dan_ref Thu Jun 07, 2007 09:47am

Youtube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOZmpixWxiE&NR=1

Comments on the no call?

Jurassic Referee Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Comments on the no call?

For the FT shooter leaving the semi-circle before the ball hit the ring/backboard?

Yup, that was a violation.

JugglingReferee Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:05am

The game is better if a foul is called. Attempt to injure perhaps. Blocking below the waist belongs in a different sport, and even then only in the Close Line Play Area.

Also, why does red player # 1 have a mismatched coloured undershirt?

SamIAm Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:06am

Comments on the no call?

How did you determine this was a "no call"?

Dan_ref Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIAm
Comments on the no call?

How did you determine this was a "no call"?

See JR's response :)

(sort of a trick question)

rainmaker Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
For the FT shooter leaving the semi-circle before the ball hit the ring/backboard?

Yup, that was a violation.

And furthermore, the ball never did hit the ring, which is a violation all by itself.

But I sure wouldn't call the foul that did get called "flagrant". It was just a clueless kid who all of a sudden saw someone coming towrad him and sort of ducked to avoid getting nailed. Good call, but not flagrant.

Jurassic Referee Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
1) And furthermore, the ball never did hit the ring, which is a violation all by itself.

2) But I sure wouldn't call the foul that did get called "flagrant". It was just a clueless kid who all of a sudden saw someone coming towrad him and sort of ducked to avoid getting nailed. Good call, but not flagrant.

We must be watching different videos.....:)

1) I though that the ball just ticked the front of the ring and came straight down on the second FT. That's why they headed up-court with no throw-in.

2) Looked to me like the defender went sideways and then low-bridged the offensive player. Always a dangerous act. I'd have thought very seriously about calling that sucker flagrant.

Mark Padgett Thu Jun 07, 2007 01:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref

I'm sure you mean the "no call" of letting the player wear white sleeves under a red jersey. There's absolutely no excuse for that. :eek:

rainmaker Thu Jun 07, 2007 02:42pm

Quote:

1) I though that the ball just ticked the front of the ring and came straight down on the second FT. That's why they headed up-court with no throw-in.

I suppose it might have but the arc looks pretty pure to me.

Quote:

2) Looked to me like the defender went sideways and then low-bridged the offensive player. Always a dangerous act. I'd have thought very seriously about calling that sucker flagrant.

I'll go back and look at it again.

deecee Thu Jun 07, 2007 03:52pm

pretty obvious that kid doesnt belong on the court.

looks flagrant to me and i wouldnt think seriously about it -- kids gone -- he should stick to whatever keeps him off any playing field/court

SamIAm Thu Jun 07, 2007 04:00pm

Quote:

2)... I would not have thought very long about calling it flagrant. X-Flagrant!

Jurassic Referee Thu Jun 07, 2007 04:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIAm
X-Flagrant!

Not being smart but what is an "X-Flagrant"?:confused:

deecee Thu Jun 07, 2007 05:07pm

its like X-treme football and X-treme "anything"

its a flagrant to the "X"

which has a derivative that is the inverse of the Y-flagrant that could best be explained as X-flagrant=1/(whiny coach*team fouls)^Y-flagrant -- or "catwoman" for simplicity sake.

and i can comment on "Not being smart..." but that wouldn't be a stretch would it lol :)

ChrisSportsFan Thu Jun 07, 2007 09:42pm

I thought the ball barely tipped the rim.

As far as the wrong colored undershirt...it's obviously not a serious league. Most of those kids do not look like they are in basketball shape and the kid shooting the turn around fade-away free throw are good clues.

When you've got kids like that with no body control, sometimes crazy stuff happens. The defender thought he could influence the dribbler by stepping in front of him. When he realized he was about to get trucked, he ducked and big haired boy goes flying. Hope he wasn't hurt.

co2ice Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:22pm

I say it was legal tackle, the ball was dislodged due to contact, and thus is ruled a fumble, play stands as called its 1st and ten!!!! I've seen plenty of that in my church games!!!:D