The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
You have to be married for this to be the case?

Peace
Ok, so he left out the word "essentially" in his statement.

Same meaning.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 11:14am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Your wise man has never been married.

Dan:

I hope your wife doesn't read this forum or you may be sleeping on the coach tonight.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 11:19am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Dan:

I hope your wife doesn't read this forum or you may be sleeping on the coach tonight.

MTD, Sr.
I see the benefit of not being married. Since I bought the couch and the bed, I can sleep where I want to.

Peace
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
You have to be married for this to be the case?

Peace
I dunno...I can't remember...

btw MTD, interesting typo.

What are you implying?
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 11:22am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
A wise man once said, he who has done no wrong, has nothing to apologize for.

Stating my opinion on a call should not be something I should have to apologize for. Maybe you and some of the others should apologize to me for being so arrogant and jumping to conclusions.

You are no wise man (I know Peter Webb, and you are no Peter Webb.). Your posts on this forum prove that. I have given you history lessons of how the guarding/screening rules came to be written in the early 1950's and how they are to be applied but you just will not listen. You do not understand the rules and refuse to listen to people who really know the rules. I believe that you could even drive Mary Struckhoff batty.

I am not being arrogant and jumping to conclusions. You do NOT know anything about the rules. Your writings prove that. Please, please fill out your profile completely and stop hiding. Stop hiding behind a nom de plume. We want to know who you are and where you live so we can avoid officiating with you. (See my profile if you need an example.)

If I teach a basketball officiating class this year I am going to write to Brad and ask his permission to use your posts as an example of incorrect rules application.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 11:26am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Dan:

MTD, Sr.
Sleeping on the coach????
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 11:26am
In Memoriam

Quote:

I believe that you could even drive Mary Struckhoff batty.
Mary Sruckhoff isn't batty?

Who'd a thunk it!
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 11:28am
Administrator

Quote:
I dunno...I can't remember...

btw MTD, interesting typo.

What are you implying?

OOPS!! But I don't think I will edit this one.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
I caught that, "most of the time" What are you really saying here? 50-50, 60-40, 70-30 of the good officials get this call right "MOST" of the time.
95 % of really good officials will get this call right 95% of the time.

Quote:
The reality is, this is a tough call to make correctly.
The reality is that this is NOT a tough call for a good official. It is tough for an average offical, or for a new official who hasn't quite got all the details down yet. It's pure guesswork for the official who thinks he/she is better than he/she really is.

Quote:
I don't think you want to judge an officials ability over how he calls this call on the fly.
Actually, I DO want officials judged by their ability to get this call right "on the fly". If they can't do this correctly on the fly, they aren't worth their salt. This IS WHY WE GET THE BIG BUCKS -- TO GET THESE KINDS OF CALLS RIGHT!!

Quote:
I challenge you to show this play to 10 officials, without the replay. Ask them for there call. I bet your total would be something like 9 out of 10, block, and remember the camera got the best angle. Not the guys on the floor.
If I get to choose which 10 officials I show it to, I'll get 10 out of 10 correctly calling it. I know who's good and who's not. And I know how you would have called it, and which category that puts you into.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Your wise man has never been married.
I think by definition a man who has been married cannot be a wise man.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 02:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
95 % of really good officials will get this call right 95% of the time.

If I get to choose which 10 officials I show it to, I'll get 10 out of 10 correctly calling it. I know who's good and who's not. And I know how you would have called it, and which category that puts you into.
To be fair, don't stack the deck. To be honest, choose your ten, and I bet if you show it once, no replay (just like in the game), force them to make the call right now. I bet you are nowhere close to 95%.

I know you really don't get me do you. Well, being the nice and humble guy that I am, I'm going to tell you. I am the exact opposite of you. When you look in the mirror at yourself. I am standing directly behind you, but facing the other way and I move in direct sync with you, so you can never see me. You notice how you have to be right about everything and you insist on making me look wrong. Well, I'm just the opposite of that. I too feel that I am right and I insist on making you look wrong. IOW's neither one of us will give in, back down on our position. If we where world leaders, we would be looking at WWIII. Since we can not agree to disagree, because you have to be right. The debates continue.....

Debating rule knowledge with master minds like yourself is very challenging and rewarding for the old sole like me who was never successful at anything. One day I will be gone and you will miss these weekly chats/spats with this old fool.

Have a nice day, it's been fun, it really has.....

Last edited by Old School; Thu Jun 14, 2007 at 03:21pm.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 03:56pm
Administrator

Quote:
To be fair, don't stack the deck. To be honest, choose your ten, and I bet if you show it once, no replay (just like in the game), force them to make the call right now. I bet you are nowhere close to 95%.

I know you really don't get me do you. Well, being the nice and humble guy that I am, I'm going to tell you. I am the exact opposite of you. When you look in the mirror at yourself. I am standing directly behind you, but facing the other way and I move in direct sync with you, so you can never see me. You notice how you have to be right about everything and you insist on making me look wrong. Well, I'm just the opposite of that. I too feel that I am right and I insist on making you look wrong. IOW's neither one of us will give in, back down on our position. If we where world leaders, we would be looking at WWIII. Since we can not agree to disagree, because you have to be right. The debates continue.....

Debating rule knowledge with master minds like yourself is very challenging and rewarding for the old sole like me who was never successful at anything. One day I will be gone and you will miss these weekly chats/spats with this old fool.

Have a nice day, it's been fun, it really has.....

WHAT??!!

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 04:22pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
WHAT??!!

MTD, Sr.
It's a strange but oddly beautiful language called Oldschoolian. It has yet to be transferred into any of the modern languages, but there is still hope that there might be a Rosetta Stone of some kind lying in a cave somewhere on this planet that will aid in that task. Samples of Oldschoolian writings are currently being saved for deciphering by future scholars on the off chance that such a stone is ever found. The post that you are referencing is just one of the posts that has been saved for future translation.

Of course, there is also another point of view that has been espoused by other linguistic experts who have tried to interpret the true meaning of the Oldshool Papers. Their fear is that the planet is not ready for what is contained in the OldSchool parchments. They are predicting the end of civilization, as we know it, if the OldSchool Papers are ever translated.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 08:09pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
It's a strange but oddly beautiful language called Oldschoolian. It has yet to be transferred into any of the modern languages, but there is still hope that there might be a Rosetta Stone of some kind lying in a cave somewhere on this planet that will aid in that task. Samples of Oldschoolian writings are currently being saved for deciphering by future scholars on the off chance that such a stone is ever found. The post that you are referencing is just one of the posts that has been saved for future translation.

Of course, there is also another point of view that has been espoused by other linguistic experts who have tried to interpret the true meaning of the Oldshool Papers. Their fear is that the planet is not ready for what is contained in the OldSchool parchments. They are predicting the end of civilization, as we know it, if the OldSchool Papers are ever translated.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

JR:

ROFLMAO!!

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Both feet were on the floor, the defender was facing the offensive player, the offensive player landed, he had the ball, time and distance aren't needed, ...
Yep, and the case book play to back it up:

10.6.1 SITUATION A: B1 takes a certain spot on the court before A1 jumps in the air to catch a pass: (a) A1 lands on B1; or (b) B1 moves to a new spot while A1 is airborne. A1 lands on one foot and then charges into B1. RULING: In (a) and (b), the foul is on A1. (4-7)