The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 07:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Palming (Carrying) Violation ???

Someone mentioned palming or carrying earlier in this thread, which deals with proper NFHS language.

Please help me out. I can't find anything about palming or carrying being a violation in Rule 9 Violations. Is it mentioned somewhere else in the rule book?

I knows that palming or carrying is a violation and has a violation signal, number 20, but where in the rule book is it actually called a violation?

It seems to me that carrying or palming may be a violation of Rule 9-4 Travel, because while the player is palming or carrying, he or she may be traveling with the ball.

Or palming or carrying can be a violation of rule 9-5 Illegal Dribble, because while palming or carrying the ball, the player has stopped one dribble and will start another dribble.

Help???
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 08:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac

Please help me out. I can't find anything about palming or carrying being a violation in Rule 9 Violations. Is it mentioned somewhere else in the rule book?
Rule 4-15-4(b) and case book play 4.15.4SitA.
Old Fri Jun 15, 2007, 08:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Thanks

From Jurassic Referee: Rule 4-15-4(b) and case book play 4.15.4SitA.

Thanks Jurassic Referee.

Since this thread, at one point, was about precise rule book language, the point that I was trying to make was that according to Rule 9, palming is not an actual violation, but rather, according to Rule 4, palming ends the dribble, so the actual, precise violation would be, in my opinion, an illegal dribble or a travel.

In any case, when I see it, I'm blowing my whistle, using signal #20, and stating verbally "Carry" or "Palming"
Old Sat Jun 16, 2007, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Haven't you ever said to a coach, "Ya' wanna' bet on it, Sparky?" Tell him you have a rule book in your bag and you can look it up. If he's right, you'll give him $100, but if you're right, he has to hand wash and wax your car. I haven't had a coach take me up on this yet.
This just made me almost spit up my drink. I was at a tourney last weekend, and a player got called OOB when he came from OOB onto the court, and then was the first to touch the ball. I said that wasn't a good call, and one of the other coaches on our team disagreed with me. We started arguing about it, and bet $10 on it. I saw the guy later in the week, and he still said I was wrong, and we rolled the bet up to $100. I probably should owe something to you all, because I probably wouldn't have known that rule if it wasn't for this board.
Old Sat Jun 16, 2007, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco
This just made me almost spit up my drink. I was at a tourney last weekend, and a player got called OOB when he came from OOB onto the court, and then was the first to touch the ball. I said that wasn't a good call, and one of the other coaches on our team disagreed with me. We started arguing about it, and bet $10 on it. I saw the guy later in the week, and he still said I was wrong, and we rolled the bet up to $100. I probably should owe something to you all, because I probably wouldn't have known that rule if it wasn't for this board.
You can donate my portion to Meds for Mark, one of our board's charities