The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Touching ball to floor (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/35432-touching-ball-floor.html)

sj Wed Jun 06, 2007 02:24pm

Touching ball to floor

This concerns the situation where a player has picked up his dribble and is holding the ball and sort of leans over and he touches the ball to the floor. By rule this isn't a dribble but from the stands comes the usual nonsense hollering for a double dribble.

At some pint in history does anybody know if this used to be considered a dribble? Or is it an NBA rule or something? I'm just wondering where the confusion might come from.

bob jenkins Wed Jun 06, 2007 02:34pm

The confusion comes a lack of oxygen caused from fans having their heads placed firmly in a methane-filled environment.

Mark Padgett Wed Jun 06, 2007 02:43pm

BTW - there's no such violation as a "double" dribble - the correct term is "illegal" dribble. Next time a coach yells at you for not calling a "double" dribble, tell him there's no such thing. Fun will ensue. ;)

sj Wed Jun 06, 2007 03:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
BTW - there's no such violation as a "double" dribble - the correct term is "illegal" dribble. Next time a coach yells at you for not calling a "double" dribble, tell him there's no such thing. Fun will ensue. ;)

Sounds like it could be a great time. I'll try that this summer with the AAU types and let you know how it goes. I'll also tell them about how there is no such thing as over the back and reaching. If we turn on a camera we might have an episode for the Jerry Springer Show.

deecee Wed Jun 06, 2007 09:18pm

Quote:

ive said that before -- along with over the back and reach

the usual response is "of course there is" / "where did they find you i am going to tell whoever is running this tourney that you dont know the rules"

my response to that is always "be my guest"

Mark Padgett Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee
ive said that before -- along with over the back and reach

the usual response is "of course there is" / "where did they find you i am going to tell whoever is running this tourney that you dont know the rules"

my response to that is always "be my guest"

Haven't you ever said to a coach, "Ya' wanna' bet on it, Sparky?" Tell him you have a rule book in your bag and you can look it up. If he's right, you'll give him $100, but if you're right, he has to hand wash and wax your car. I haven't had a coach take me up on this yet. :cool:

sj Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:50pm

Quote:

Haven't you ever said to a coach, "Ya' wanna' bet on it, Sparky?" Tell him you have a rule book in your bag and you can look it up. If he's right, you'll give him $100, but if you're right, he has to hand wash and wax your car. I haven't had a coach take me up on this yet. :cool:

Agreed. The "wanna bet $100" line creates instant dead air. I reserve that only for the summer AAU types. I haven't used it on a real coach yet.

dblref Thu Jun 07, 2007 06:46am

Quote:

I did this a couple of years ago and the coach refused to pay up. After the game (boys AAU) ended, the coach and 3 of his players walked by where my partner and I were changing shoes before leaving the gym. He remarked that I was wrong on a call (I had made the bet with him earlier). I pulled out the rule book and showed him where I was right. He said it didn't matter, because he wasn't going to pay up. His players immediately started pointing fingers and laughing at him for losing. Man, he was PO'd. That was the best part of the game. ;)

lrpalmer3 Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by sj
Agreed. The "wanna bet $100" line creates instant dead air. I reserve that only for the summer AAU types. I haven't used it on a real coach yet.

Summer coaches are people too. :)

Mark Padgett Wed Jun 13, 2007 01:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lrpalmer3
Summer coaches are people too. :)

You're assuming all coaches are people. Never assume. ;)

Adam Wed Jun 13, 2007 01:57pm

Quote:

You're assuming all coaches are people. Never assume. ;)

I think he miss-spelled "some," as in "some coaches are...." I don't think I can disagree with that.

Jimgolf Thu Jun 14, 2007 03:28pm

Quote:

While there is no such violation as a "double dribble", obviously a double dribble is a violation. This is akin to saying there a "hack" is not a foul. If you've been hacked, you know it's a foul. It hurts, LOL.

As someone pointed out here recently, NFHS just writes the rule books. A lot of the terminology pre-dates the NFHS. Just because the Fed changes its jargon doesn't mean the rest of the world has to follow suit.

Calling a "discontinue" or a "carry" or a "palm" or a "double dribble" an "illegal dribble" may be technically correct, but nowhere near as easy to say or as descriptive.

Why not just have one foul call, for that matter. Why hold, block, push, trip, etc.? Why not just "Foul"?

Camron Rust Thu Jun 14, 2007 04:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimgolf
While there is no such violation as a "double dribble", obviously a double dribble is a violation. This is akin to saying there a "hack" is not a foul. If you've been hacked, you know it's a foul. It hurts, LOL.

As someone pointed out here recently, NFHS just writes the rule books. A lot of the terminology pre-dates the NFHS. Just because the Fed changes its jargon doesn't mean the rest of the world has to follow suit.

While they don't HAVE to follow suit, it sure makes things easier when everyone is talking the same language....and in a way that makes sense.

Quote:

Calling a "discontinue"

a what????

Quote:

or a "carry" or a "palm" or a "double dribble" an "illegal dribble" may be technically correct, but nowhere near as easy to say or as descriptive.

What's undescriptive or difficult about carry or palm?
Quote:

Why not just have one foul call, for that matter. Why hold, block, push, trip, etc.? Why not just "Foul"?

Isn't the goal to have a sufficiently clear and consistent but brief communication. THe problem with local, non-official "jargon" is that it varies and has different meanings to different people. It can convey an entirely different message than intended. We all know what is meant by "reach" but some believe that it can be a foul just for reaching, without contact, simply because of the unofficial terminology that is poorly thougth out.

Jurassic Referee Thu Jun 14, 2007 04:27pm

Quote:

While there is no such violation as a "double dribble", obviously a double dribble is a violation.

It is?

If a player's dribble ends by the dribble touching an opponent, and the player immediately dribbles again, you're saying that the "double dribble" is a violation?

Sorry. Can't agree with that.

Back In The Saddle Thu Jun 14, 2007 05:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sj

I've had a HS coach bet me his entire year's salary that it's a violation if the jumper is the first person to control the ball after it's touched the floor. I should have gone double-or-nothing with him so I could have bought a burger and a Pepsi with my winnings. :D