The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 01:39pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
I will agree the camp focuses on getting plays right, but that's NBA right and there's a big difference between NBA right and NCAA right.
Well, somebody has to ask, and I got tired of waiting. Iow, it might as well be me......

1)What is "NBA right"?
2)What is "NCAA right"?
3) What is the big difference?
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 02:27pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Well, somebody has to ask, and I got tired of waiting. Iow, it might as well be me......

1)What is "NBA right"?
2)What is "NCAA right"?
You will have to go to an NBA camp to find out JR. What I can share is NBA wants you more out on the court in the Trail position, NCAA feels differently. New term for you JR, "Pinch the paint" ever hear of that? NCAA don't want you refereeing in the paint. Some of the things I agree with from the NBA prospective. It's like they took the NCAA code and expanded on it, really go into details on a lot of it and most of it is good, however, it is not what they want of you from a NCAA propsective. Just about everything I learn and used from NBA camp I get called on in NCAA camp, imho. And last and perhaps the most important is the habits. You get into a NBA habit of doing things and it's hard to break going back into NCAA.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 03:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
You will have to go to an NBA camp to find out JR. What I can share is NBA wants you more out on the court in the Trail position, NCAA feels differently. New term for you JR, "Pinch the paint" ever hear of that? NCAA don't want you refereeing in the paint. Some of the things I agree with from the NBA prospective. It's like they took the NCAA code and expanded on it, really go into details on a lot of it and most of it is good, however, it is not what they want of you from a NCAA propsective. Just about everything I learn and used from NBA camp I get called on in NCAA camp, imho. And last and perhaps the most important is the habits. You get into a NBA habit of doing things and it's hard to break going back into NCAA.
Shoulda have known better than to ask....

"NBA Right" versus "NCAA Right".......yeah, right........

It's too bad that you're having problems going from your NBA games to your NCAA games.

Gobbledegook 101!
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

1)What is "NBA right"?
2)What is "NCAA right"?
1) block/charge play on one end where it's bang bang and the player gets perpendicular to the offensive player's path and takes it in the torso(OFFENSIVE FOUL). Go the other way and we have a similar type bang bang play, but the defender is not perpendicular to offensive player's path(BLOCK). IOW, they are all about getting plays right.

2) Same as above, except you have a charge at both ends. Getting one right and one wrong. That's getting 50% of your plays right. IMO this is not a good thought process to have. Yes I think you should understand what plays you have had at each end but you should let each play stand on its own merit.
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 04:14pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
1) block/charge play on one end where it's bang bang and the player gets perpendicular to the offensive player's path and takes it in the torso(OFFENSIVE FOUL). Go the other way and we have a similar type bang bang play, but the defender is not perpendicular to offensive player's path(BLOCK). IOW, they are all about getting plays right.
The example you gave is not the same as, or "IOW", getting plays right. You told us the correct way to call the play. Fine, we all want to call it correctly (with the exception of one notable idiot on this forum), whether we're in HS, college, or pro.

Quote:
2) Same as above, except you have a charge at both ends.
That's because in NCAA, it is a charge at both ends. Being perpendicular has no bearing on the play in the NCAA ruleset. That's why we talk about the "pro philosophy", regardless of who doesn't like it. In college and HS, getting to the spot legally is what matters. But in the pro game, where offense seems to be favored, the defender not only has to get to the spot first, but has to assume the correct posture. That's a difference in rules, which is based on a difference in philosophy.

It is NOT, as you say in your post "getting one right and one wrong".
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 04:54pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64

2) Same as above, except you have a charge at both ends. Getting one right and one wrong. That's getting 50% of your plays right. IMO this is not a good thought process to have. Yes I think you should understand what plays you have had at each end but you should let each play stand on its own merit.
That explanation doesn't make any sense at all to me. You've got two completely different calls at either end of the court because the plays are completely different. In one, you've got a perpendicular defender making his defensive stance legal; in the other, you've got a defender that isn't perpendicular, thus making his defensive stance illegal. Apples and oranges....and completely different plays that have to be called completely different ways, by any ruleset. You just call plays like these by the rules, the same as you're supposed to call NFHS and NCAA games. What you're talking about is exactly the same as a defender having LGP at one end and not having LGP at he other end. Of course you're going to call those plays differently. They ARE different.

You're getting the play wrong in your example because you're not applying the same rule properly at both ends of the court. That's got nothing to do with anything called "NBA wrong". That's called "blowing a call" and it happens in all rulesets.

How is "NBA right" any different than "NCAA right" or "NFHS right"? As far as I can see, in all cases you just make the call according to the applicable ruleset. There's no difference at all.

Except for maybe that l'il habit in the NBA of giving the call to a star over a scrubbie......
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What I can share is NBA wants you more out on the court in the Trail position, NCAA feels differently.
Not at the camps I've gone to.