View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 08, 2007, 04:54pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
1) block/charge play on one end where it's bang bang and the player gets perpendicular to the offensive player's path and takes it in the torso(OFFENSIVE FOUL). Go the other way and we have a similar type bang bang play, but the defender is not perpendicular to offensive player's path(BLOCK). IOW, they are all about getting plays right.

2) Same as above, except you have a charge at both ends. Getting one right and one wrong. That's getting 50% of your plays right. IMO this is not a good thought process to have. Yes I think you should understand what plays you have had at each end but you should let each play stand on its own merit.
That explanation doesn't make any sense at all to me. You've got two completely different calls at either end of the court because the plays are completely different. In one, you've got a perpendicular defender making his defensive stance legal; in the other, you've got a defender that isn't perpendicular, thus making his defensive stance illegal. Apples and oranges....and completely different plays that have to be called completely different ways, by any ruleset. You just call plays like these by the rules, the same as you're supposed to call NFHS and NCAA games. What you're talking about is exactly the same as a defender having LGP at one end and not having LGP at he other end. Of course you're going to call those plays differently. They ARE different.

You're getting the play wrong in your example because you're not applying the same rule properly at both ends of the court. That's got nothing to do with anything called "NBA wrong". That's called "blowing a call" and it happens in all rulesets.

How is "NBA right" any different than "NCAA right" or "NFHS right"? As far as I can see, in all cases you just make the call according to the applicable ruleset. There's no difference at all.

Except for maybe that l'il habit in the NBA of giving the call to a star over a scrubbie......