The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Why is DBOA leaving TASO while dues are so expensive?

DBOA dues for 2007-2008 were due by March 1, 2007. Active returning members now need to pay $145. Even if DBOA is not part of TASO as of the end of this season, the dues amount is still the same. Please mail your payment to DBOA, PO Box 154104, Irving, Texas 75015-4104...
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny1784
DBOA dues for 2007-2008 were due by March 1, 2007. Active returning members now need to pay $145. Even if DBOA is not part of TASO as of the end of this season, the dues amount is still the same. Please mail your payment to DBOA, PO Box 154104, Irving, Texas 75015-4104...
According to our District Rep (Ft. Worth), it is a mute point. All the Associations that voted to leave TASO will still be part of TASO next year. The Exec Director of the UIL backed out of everything they promised to do to help the new organization get started. So unless DBOA is going to be an independent group with no state affiliation...nothing has changed.

BTW, your chapter dues are high...we only pay $100 (half to the state, half to the local chapter)...of course we have a very large camp that raises a bunch of money.
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
What games will this association be doing since it is leaving TASO? It sure won't be schools affiliated with the UIL.
If the new organization had materialized you could not have been more wrong. The UIL had promised to sanction the new organization and (at least in my area) all the districts we serve had committed to use our officials even if we were affiliated with LSOA versus TASO. What are schools going to do, recruit their own officials...all the experience would move out of TASO into the new group.

Around the end of the basketball season, the chapters in Ft Worth, Dallas, Austin, Houston, North Texas (Denton area) and a couple of small chapters had voted to leave TASO and form a new state organization.
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

"Even if DBOA is not part of TASO "

As LarryS already said, most, if not all, of the chapters that voted to leave TASO will remain in TASO. Unexpectedly, the UIL support vanished after the initial LSOA announcement was made.

The high fee that was mentioned, $145, is what it costs when a member misses the deadline. If a returning member pays on time the amount is $110.
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 04:48pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryS
According to our District Rep (Ft. Worth), it is a mute point. All the Associations that voted to leave TASO will still be part of TASO next year. The Exec Director of the UIL backed out of everything they promised to do to help the new organization get started. So unless DBOA is going to be an independent group with no state affiliation...nothing has changed.
I must be reading these incorrectly then. I thought that it said that the new basketball-only officials association- the LSOA- would still be a part of UIL but not belong to TASO.

http://www.lonestaroa.org/FAQ.htm

http://www.dallasref.com/LSOA_Newsle...ol1_Issue1.htm
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Jurassic Referee...

Much has happened since that was published. The UIL in Texas was going to give the LSOA free office space (they have it available in the current space they rent), free telephone/fax service (they have the lines available in their current service), allow the LSOA to put their accounts under their umbrella so the audit and internal controls would govern, assist in developing a uniform training program, encourage the school districts in the areas historcially serviced by those chapters to use LSOA officials, etc. They would also sanction the LSOA making it eligible to have their officials assigned playoff games. Basically, all the LSOA had to do was hire an executive director and pay him/her.

All this was agreed to by the #2 at UIL prior to the votes and before that publication...but #1 suddenly said "Uh...no." They used the reasoning that with the newly mandated random testing of athletes they did not have the resources to help the LSOA get off the ground. Additionally, I have heard from multiple sources I trust, that the 5 that worked to start the LSOA were brought before the TASO Ethics Board and have been suspended.

Therefore, unless one of the chapters wants to go solo...we are all still part of TASO. Our chapter voted to "Give the Board of Directors permission and authority to withdraw from TASO only if the new organization was formed and deemed to have the ability to function effectively." We also filled out the paperwork necessary to renew with TASO and move to LSOA (we always pay the dues to the chapter, who in turns pays the state body). Thus, we definetly are staying with TASO, and the paperwork and dues have been submitted to TASO...per our President.
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryS

BTW, your chapter dues are high...we only pay $100 (half to the state, half to the local chapter)...of course we have a very large camp that raises a bunch of money.
moot grammar police strikes again
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalreff
moot grammar police strikes again
HEY BUCKO...how do you know I didn't INTEND to say it was a SILENT point?
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 05:59pm
In Memoriam

So.....basically the LSOA is history and everything is status quo, correct?
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
So.....basically the LSOA is history and everything is status quo, correct?
At least for now. Have not heard if they are going to try again. Personally, I feel like it was a big spitting contest between those who want the power. It is hard for me to get too worked up over something that only cost me $50 a year.