Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 03:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
10-3-2.
. . . W ear an illegal number or an illegal shirt or illegal pants/skirt.

The rule that JR cites certainly could cover it. However, we will have to wait to see what the NFHS writes in the new books, and if they specifically mention a penalty for not wearing white uniforms.

I highly doubt that the ruling will be to penalize EACH individual who plays with a technical foul. Possibly one team technical foul will be the punishment. At this time, I just can't say.
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Does anyone really worry about this at the JV level? A lot of schools have traditionally used varsity hand-me-down uniforms for the JV squads, and I've never really concerned myself with uniform issues in JV games, unless we had duplicate numbers. Even then, a little masking tape has solved the problem most times.
--------------

I don't worryabout it in JV, but I know some guys who do. They're usually a real joy to work with.
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

In Wisconsin the WIAA specifically states that the mandatory "white" home uniforms are required for Varsity level only. In our meeting last year they stated that they know that these home "whites" will trickle down in a number of years to lower level teams.
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
That's my point. The OP was saying the boys JV might be in trouble this season due to the finalization of this long-pending rule change. I'm sure it will come up in meetings this fall, but I can't imagine anyone around here enforcing this in any contest below HS varsity.
I agree that is seems trivial to enforce this at the sub-varsity level and that it places an undue burden on the schools. HOWEVER, if my assignor says to enforce it at all levels guess what I am going to be doing.
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 12:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
--------------

I don't worryabout it in JV, but I know some guys who do. They're usually a real joy to work with.
Would these guys call a T for a player wearing a jersey with masking tape to prevent duplicate numbers?
How many JV games do these guys do that start off with a technical foul for not having the starters marked 10 minutes before game time?
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 12:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryS
I agree that is seems trivial to enforce this at the sub-varsity level and that it places an undue burden on the schools. HOWEVER, if my assignor says to enforce it at all levels guess what I am going to be doing.
Agreed, but I'm not going to ask. If they want me to enforce it at the JV level, they'll have to bring it up and be very clear about it.
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
First of all this rule has been around for about 3-4 years. They gave schools long enough to purchase new uniforms to comply with the rule like many equipment rules are set a few years in advance.
That hits it right on the head. The rule was introduced several years ago and now it will be enforced. Ohio had been saying Varsity only for a while to let the other uniforms cycle through.

There is a CYO league that put in place a double sided uniform rule about 6 years ago. They gave all the participating schools about 3 years to comply yet there are still teams that purchase the single sided uniforms because they don't like the look of the double sided. They then force their opponent to change over to their other side. It just gets my goat that they don't follow the rules when other schools have gone out of their way to comply. It would be one thing if they could not afford new uniforms but they are buying new already.....just venting as a former AD.
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 06:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

10-3-2

Jurasic Referee: Thanks

10-3-2 Technical foul for wearing "an illegal shirt or illegal pants".

I stand corrected. I guess that you can buy your way, with a technical foul, into the game wearing a gray, for example, home jersey. The technical fouls go to each starter and each entering subsitute.
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 06:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Rosters

From Snaqwells: How many JV games do these guys do that start off with a technical foul for not having the starters marked 10 minutes before game time?

According to Rule 10-1-1, teams simply must "supply" the names, numbers, and starters to avoid a technical foul. The rule does not mention that the names need to be "marked" in the book by any specific time.
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 06:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
From Snaqwells: How many JV games do these guys do that start off with a technical foul for not having the starters marked 10 minutes before game time?

According to Rule 10-1-1, teams simply must "supply" the names, numbers, and starters to avoid a technical foul. The rule does not mention that the names need to be "marked" in the book by any specific time.
Yup, and if the book they supplied (normally they give their book to the scorer) doesn't have the starters "marked," it's a T. the starters need to be designated.
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Jurasic Referee: Thanks

10-3-2 Technical foul for wearing "an illegal shirt or illegal pants".

I stand corrected. I guess that you can buy your way, with a technical foul, into the game wearing a gray, for example, home jersey. The technical fouls go to each starter and each entering subsitute.
Unfortunately, I think that's just a guess until we see what the editors actually write in the rulebook.
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
Unfortunately, I think that's just a guess until we see what the editors actually write in the rulebook.
Why is that a guess? The penalties for illegal uniforms have been around for years. The only thing that has changed is what is legal.
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 02:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Why is that a guess? The penalties for illegal uniforms have been around for years. The only thing that has changed is what is legal.
Because we really don't know yet how the NFHS wants the new rule enforced. The Federation may come out with something saying not to penalize each player if more than one individual is breaking the rule, but rather the official should charge one team technical foul. You may recall that this is exactly what they did with the removal of the jersey rule although it is listed as a player technical foul under 10-3.

2005-06 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 4: During the pregame warm-up, the 12 members of Team A are wearing warm-up tops, but not their team jerseys. Approximately one minute prior to the opening jump ball, the 12 Team A members go to the team bench, remove the warm-up tops and put on the team jerseys. RULING: One technical foul is charged to Team A, and it is also charged indirectly to the head coach. COMMENT: In a situation where similar multiple infractions occur at the same time, it is not the intent of the rules to penalize each individual infraction as a separate technical foul. (3-4-15; 10-4-1h)

I would not be surprised to see the same principle adhered to with the white home team jersey rule.
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Yes, but as Nevada pointed out, NFHS may want this as a team T rather than individual. It may be in a casebook interpretation (a la all standing at once or the all changing the jerseys situation that Nevada referenced). It could also be part of the new rule itself - saying either 1 T for the whole team, 1 T for each player or no T's at all (just report it to the state). Maybe we'll only have to T 'em up if both teams have similar jerseys and neither has alternates into which to change.
Old Thu May 17, 2007, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

While I see your point.....team T or individual T...., if the NFHS desires consistency in the rules, I don't see why it would really differ from how we'd enforce a penalty for a team with otherwise illegal uniforms....for example: missing numbers on the front, or illegal logos on the shirt, team name too close to the numbers, etc.

Of course, recent NFHS committees have made some pretty tangential rulings and statements.