The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 11:49am
Ch1town

Violation or not

A1 has all 3 points across midcourt near the far sideline, he passes to A2 who is in the air past midcourt but catches slightly before he lands in the frontcourt. Violation?
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Depends on where he(A2) jumped from....if any part of either foot was in the BC when he jumped, it is a violation.
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Ch1town, remember that you where you are until you get where you are going. If you jump from backcourt, then you have backcourt status until you land in the frontcourt.
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 12:04pm
Ch1town

Ok, so it's the same situation for the thrower on a throw-in who receives the
return pass (in the air) but before his feet are established on the court?
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

yes ..... but not feet, just foot.
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
Ok, so it's the same situation for the thrower on a throw-in who receives the
return pass (in the air) but before his feet are established on the court?
Not quite, on a throw in, the player receiving the pass while airborn can jump from the FC and land in the BC and vice versa without a violation because there is no team control on a throw in (FED and I think NCAA-M but not NCAA-W, but I could be wrong with the NCAA rules).

When there is team control, a player cannot jump from the BC, catch the pass, then land in the FC, assuming FC status has been attained.
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 12:29pm
Ch1town

Thanks...
I had both happen in 1 game last night, unfortunately I went .500 on the calls in the 4 point thriller (86-82). The team that got away with the halfcourt violation lost anyway, it just happened so quickly & the distance of the pass went from sideline to sideline. Darnit

lukealex: No it was an inbound on the frontcourt baseline to the free throw line & passed back to the thrower under the hoop for a layup & 4 point lead. One foot was established though. Got that one right.
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 12:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

That's why we do summer ball (at least those with summer ball available).
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
Thanks...
I had both happen in 1 game last night, unfortunately I went .500 on the calls in the 4 point thriller (86-82). The team that got away with the halfcourt violation lost anyway, it just happened so quickly & the distance of the pass went from sideline to sideline. Darnit

lukealex: No it was an inbound on the frontcourt baseline to the free throw line & passed back to the thrower under the hoop for a layup & 4 point lead. One foot was established though. Got that one right.
Both of the situations I described were to do with a backcourt violation or not, but the same principle applies where one foot must be inbounds and none out of bounds for your under the basket play.

You are where you were until you get where you're going.
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 01:04pm
Ch1town

Snaqwells: That's why we do summer ball (at least those with summer ball available).

Yes sir! Thank goodness I didn't have to resort to working baseball to earn a buck this time of year.
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukealex
Not quite, on a throw in, the player receiving the pass while airborn can jump from the FC and land in the BC and vice versa without a violation because there is no team control on a throw in (FED and I think NCAA-M but not NCAA-W, but I could be wrong with the NCAA rules).

When there is team control, a player cannot jump from the BC, catch the pass, then land in the FC, assuming FC status has been attained.
Rule 9-9-3. The exception only applies if the player has jumped from front court and obtains control of the ball while in the air. This player is allowed a normal landing. It does not matter how the feet land on the court. (Federation)
I do not know the NCAA 'Throw-in exception' rule, but it is very similar to Federation. There is Team Control during a throw-in for college. It only is relavent if there is a foul during the throw-in.
One more thing to remember during a throw-in. If A1 jumps from the BC and secures control of the ball in the air, then you need to be aware how their feet touch the court. It would be a BC violation if the 1st foot touches the FC followed by the 2nd foot touching the BC.
Old Tue May 15, 2007, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

On a throw-in (in NFHS) there is no team control. The ball will not have any "status" until it is controlled in bounds. 9-9-3 allows for the special case when a player jumps from FC, catches the ball, and lands with one or both feet in BC. It states this in not a violation no matter which foot touches first, so long as the landing is "normal." In the case where the player landed straddling the division line, the ball would have BC status and there would be no violation even if the FC foot touched first - so long as the landing was normal.

If, on a throw-in, A1 jumps from FC, secures the ball in the air, and passes to A2 in BC, this would be a violation.

A1 who has FC status, deflects a throw-in into BC where A2 secures control would not be a violation. Team control is not established until A2 secures control.