The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 25, 2007, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Interesting. I hadn't noticed that the case play is about starting the dribble. But I don't see how it can be legal to bat the ball in the air during a dribble, take several steps, and then catch the ball. I think the case play has to cover the play under discussion. The bat and subsequent catch would have to be an illegal dribble, no?
I agree. In the OP A1 is dribbling down court in a 1 and 1 situation. Bat, toss, throw the ball over B1's head, then catch it constitutes an illegal dribble. Again, the ruling in 4.15.4(rule "when the dribble ends") Sit.E(b) specifically states "since the ball did not touch the floor, the toss and the subsequent catch is an illegal dribble.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2007, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
That is correct. You can't pass the ball to yourself because a pass is defined as throwing the ball to a terammate. Therefore, there's no such thing as a self pass, legal or illegal. It doesn't exist.

If he throws it off the backboard, legal, but if it doesn't hit anything or it's not a shot attempt or an interrupted dribble, it is a classic traveling with the ball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
You are so damn WRONG. Read the rule book!

With one exception, you must be HOLDING the ball in order to travel!

As long as the player above did not end his dribble, his play is perfectly legal. If he ended the dribble, released the ball and then touched it again, it's an illegal dribble. But under NO circumstances is this ever traveling!!!
I don't know why, but I feel embarassed to say this, but this was in a pick-up game in which I was playing. OK, there I said it. I told my team-mate I thought it was a travel, but it was a game-ender at 11:00 at night, and we were all ready to go home anyway, so not too much complaining.

So, BBR, it sounds like it depends on whether or not the dribble ended. If it was just a bat, then the dribble did not end, thus legal. However, if he picked it up with both hands and lobbed it forward to himself and did as described, it would be double dribble as soon as he caught it. Is this correct?

Last edited by KCRef; Wed Apr 25, 2007 at 02:40pm.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2007, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
In the play being discussed, the player is in the middle of a legal dribble. All he is doing is ending that legal dribble.
How can a player bat the ball, take a few steps, jump in the air & catch it without ending his dribble?

IOW to do this he needs to bat the ball up, not down. Ending his dribble.

If this is not the case then I agree, he's in the middle of a dribble. But I can't see it happening that way.

edit
oops, just saw that Scrappy said the same thing.

Last edited by Dan_ref; Wed Apr 25, 2007 at 02:29pm.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2007, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRef
You are so damn WRONG. Read the rule book!

With one exception, you must be HOLDING the ball in order to travel!

As long as the player above did not end his dribble, his play is perfectly legal. If he ended the dribble, released the ball and then touched it again, it's an illegal dribble. But under NO circumstances is this ever traveling!!!
I don't know why, but I feel embarassed to say this, but this was in a pick-up game in which I was playing. OK, there I said it. I told my team-mate I thought it was a travel, but it was a game-ender at 11:00 at night, and we were all ready to go home anyway, so not too much complaining.

So, BBR, it sounds like it depends on whether or not the dribble ended. If it was just a bat, then the dribble did not end, thus legal. However, if he picked it up with both hands and lobbed it forward to himself and did as described, it would be double dribble as soon as he caught it. Is this correct?[/QUOTE]

Since you clarified on the level or type of game... IT WAS A FRICKIN NO CALL!!!!!!
Old Wed Apr 25, 2007, 02:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
But I don't see how it can be legal to bat the ball in the air during a dribble, take several steps, and then catch the ball.
Scrappy, if the player fumbled the ball, took several steps and then caught the ball, would that be illegal also? Can you cite a rule that says it is illegal?

Casebook play 4.15.4SitD(a) says that you can't continue to dribble after you make a second touch during a single dribble. It doesn't say that its illegal to end a dribble that way though. The player simply ended a legal dribble. What he subsequently does will determine the further legality of the play.

Casebook play 4.15.4SitE(b) is about starting a dribble. There never was a legal dribble because the ball never touched the floor before the illegal second touching. Rule 4-15-1.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2007, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

What about 4-15-2? "During a dribble the ball may be batted into the air provided it is permitted to strike the floor before the ball is touched again with the hand(s)." Isn't what happened in the OP where the ball was caught before it hit the ground again? So, it is a violation, only because the ball didn't hit the ground before the catch-and-shoot. It cannot be traveling, because until the ball is touched by the hand(s) before it hits the ground, it is still part of a legal dribble, so it wouldn't matter how many steps are taken before the next legal bat.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Apr 25, 2007, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRef

So, BBR, it sounds like it depends on whether or not the dribble ended. If it was just a bat, then the dribble did not end, thus legal. However, if he picked it up with both hands and lobbed it forward to himself and did as described, it would be double dribble as soon as he caught it. Is this correct?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
Since you clarified on the level or type of game... IT WAS A FRICKIN NO CALL!!!!!!
Yes, it was a no call, nor was it a problem. Just thought it was an interesting case play that I would like to get right in a game I am officiating if it were to happen.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2007, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
My call is when he touches the ball again after passing it to himself, he traveled with the ball. He went from here to here without dribbling it. Damn I'm good.
Um, no you're not, just lucky in this case.

Yep, I believe the OP was a violation, but not for the reason you state. In fact, if the ball had hit the ground before he picked it up and shot, you would be wrong, because, by rule, it would be a legal dribble. So, since it's a dribble, a basketball rule fundamental (not one of them pesky little technical thingies, but an actual fundamental) states you cannot travel during a dribble.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Apr 25, 2007, 03:12pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
What about 4-15-2? "During a dribble the ball may be batted into the air provided it is permitted to strike the floor before the ball is touched again with the hand(s)."
Bingo. Thanks. I had the case play in my head. Should've just gone to the rule.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2007, 03:26pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
What about 4-15-2? "During a dribble the ball may be batted into the air provided it is permitted to strike the floor before the ball is touched again with the hand(s)." Isn't what happened in the OP where the ball was caught before it hit the ground again? So, it is a violation, only because the ball didn't hit the ground before the catch-and-shoot. It cannot be traveling, because until the ball is touched by the hand(s) before it hits the ground, it is still part of a legal dribble, so it wouldn't matter how many steps are taken before the next legal bat.
What about 4-15-4(a)-"The dribble ends when the dribbler catches or causes the ball to come to rest in both hands".? Isn't that what actually happened in this play? You just apply R4-44-2 to the subsequent action.

You're overthinking the hell outa this one imo.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2007, 03:32pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
What about 4-15-4(a)-"The dribble ends when the dribbler catches or causes the ball to come to rest in both hands".?
What about it? It tells us when the dribble ended. Great. But M&M Guy's cite tells us that play is a violation. He ended the dribble by violating.
Old Wed Apr 25, 2007, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What about 4-15-4(a)-"The dribble ends when the dribbler catches or causes the ball to come to rest in both hands".? Isn't that what actually happened in this play? You just apply R4-44-2 to the subsequent action.

You're overthinking the hell outa this one imo.
It has been a real long time since anyone has accused me of overthinking something.

Go back and look at the original post - he says the player was dribbling up the court in a one-on-one situation, batted the ball over the head of the defender, caught it before it hit the ground and shot all in one motion. The violation occured because he caught it before it hit the ground, per 4-15-2. If, for example, the ball hit the ground behind the defender after the bat, then he catches it and shoots in one motion, it would be a legal play.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Apr 25, 2007, 03:39pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
It has been a real long time since anyone has accused me of overthinking something.

Go back and look at the original post - he says the player was dribbling up the court in a one-on-one situation, batted the ball over the head of the defender, caught it before it hit the ground and shot all in one motion. The violation occured because he caught it before it hit the ground, per 4-15-2. If, for example, the ball hit the ground behind the defender after the bat, then he catches it and shoots in one motion, it would be a legal play.
Actually the OP says he JUMPED and caught the ball while in the air and then shot it before landing...exactly what violation will you call?
Old Wed Apr 25, 2007, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Actually the OP says he JUMPED and caught the ball while in the air and then shot it before landing...exactly what violation will you call?
Illegal dribble, per 4-15-2. Remember, his jump, catch and shot was after the bat over the defender's head. It would've been legal if the ball hit the ground first.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Apr 25, 2007, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
The violation for "batting the ball in the air and touching it again before it hit the ground." Illegal dribble.