The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 22, 2007, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Vinegar sounds the best to me because we use this to clean other things like coffee makers, etc.
OS agreed with me. I'm turning in my striped shirt and squeaky clean whistle tomorrow. I'm keeping the pants though, quite stylish if you ask me.
Old Sun Apr 22, 2007, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
That won't happen if you use cold boiling water. Try it.
This should keep OS busy for a few days. Good work, JR!
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's certainly not impossible to have cold boiling water. In fact, water that is boiling can freeze pretty quickly (during the boiling action) if the proper conditions are present. (It does take some "special" -- though not outlandish -- equipment).

Last edited by bob jenkins; Mon Apr 23, 2007 at 08:53am.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 07:25am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
It's certainly not impossible to have cold boiling water. In fact, water that is boiking can freeze pretty quickly (during the boining action) if the proper conditions are present. (It does take some "special" -- though not outlandish -- equipment).
If I remember my physics correctly, you can boil cold water by introducing a vacuum.

No, I'm not going to make the obvious "Old School" joke here either.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 09:57am

Quote:
Okay, I'll bite, I'm probably going to regret this but, what the hey. How do you get cold water to boil?
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 10:54am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
It's certainly not impossible to have cold boiling water. In fact, water that is boiling can freeze pretty quickly (during the boiling action) if the proper conditions are present. (It does take some "special" -- though not outlandish -- equipment).
Reminds me of the old Three Stooges short in which they were trying to mix up a batch of "spotted paint".
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 11:00am
Esteemed Participant

Run your whistles thru the dishwasher...just put them in the silverware compartment and take them out before the dry cycle...works great.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
Quote:
I clean all my Fox 40s in vinegar. Does wonders. You'll be surprised what all comes out. Just soak them for an hour or so
Quote:
I usually dip them in mouth wash and I have put Purell on them as well if they are really grimy and let it sit in my bag before I use it.
Quote:
Great tip that a veteran passed on to me was to soak your whistles in a solution of baking soda in water. It works really well to get all the 'gunk' out of your whistle.
Quote:
The absolute best way to clean your whistles to to drop them into a glass of Coke and leave them overnight. Be sure to use Coke Classic and not that snussy Diet Coke stuff. In the morning, everything that was in and on your whistle will have dissolved out and your whistles will be absolutely clean and sterile. As an added bonus, you can also drink the Coke for breakfast. It now has an added flavor that is quite tasty, and it is nutritious also.

now I'm not a chemist, but really, anything wich has a pH value not equal to 7 will do the trick. That's why all the above will work ( they are both acids so they will react and dissolve(? not sure on my english here) the dirt). How ever, don't use anything to strong like things you find in a lab, they might make your whistle go away, or have nasty reactions (e.g. if you put metal into HNO3 you will end up with highly toxic gas, but HNO3 is at least not for sale to the public in sweden, so I suppose you would know not to use it if you acctually had some).
Now my point is, I wouldn't go with boiling water, but use some vingear, coke, or other standard substances (iow, things you can eat) wich have a pH not equal to 7 and you will end up with a nice and clean whistle.

Quote:
Okay, I'll bite, I'm probably going to regret this but, what the hey. How do you get cold water to boil?
I think you would have to lower the pressure quite much, but it's possible. If you try at home you will see that the temperature of boiling changes from day to day (look at the weather and see if you can find clues to when and how it changes). I have only done this a few times, but I found out that you can easily have a three degree lowering in the boiling point, just becuse of the conditions of that day.
But now, this is an official forum, and I think I need more officiating and less school work
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

I just put my whistles in mouthwash overnight and they're minty fresh for a week.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 04:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy voyager
I think you would have to lower the pressure quite much, but it's possible. If you try at home you will see that the temperature of boiling changes from day to day (look at the weather and see if you can find clues to when and how it changes). I have only done this a few times, but I found out that you can easily have a three degree lowering in the boiling point, just becuse of the conditions of that day.
Put a beaker of cold water in a Bell Jar. Evacuate the air to create a vacuum. Voila!..boiling water.

Rudimentary physics experiment.....
Old Mon Apr 23, 2007, 07:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Rocky Mountain Cooking

If I can correctly recall the gas laws that I learned in my high school and college chemistry classes correctly, cooking instructions for some foods vary depending on the elevation, and thus the air pressure, of the region. Water boils at a lower temperature at higher elevations and some foods require more cooking time, compared to if they were cooked at a lower elevation.
Old Tue Apr 24, 2007, 07:56am

Quote:
Put a beaker of cold water in a Bell Jar. Evacuate the air to create a vacuum. Voila!..boiling water.

And you recommend this to clean a whistle. Perhaps this is one of the dumbest things ever written on this forum. Stick the whistle in a jar of cold water and evacuate the air! I'm sure that's written in a rulebook somewhere. Why not just stick the whistle under some cold running water, results might even be better. In fact, if you turn on the hot water instead of dinking around with the cold water, results might even be better than that. Just like most of the stuff that happens in a basketball game, I didn't need a damn rulebook to figure it out. You either get it or you don't. Those that don't get it, uses the cold water. That's rudimentary physics!

Old Tue Apr 24, 2007, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
And you recommend this to clean a whistle.
No, he didn't.
Old Tue Apr 24, 2007, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Yes, and as the water is "boiling" it is also losing heat. The temperature will drop. When it reaches (about) 32*F or 0*C (whichever comes first ) it will freeze.
Old Tue Apr 24, 2007, 08:06am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Yes, and as the water is "boiling" it is also losing heat. The temperature will drop. When it reaches (about) 32*F or 0*C (whichever comes first ) it will freeze.
Yup, how to boil water to make ice cubes.
Closed Thread