The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

avoid foreign basketball courts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-ivt...elated&search=

Seems like you run greater risks outside the USA, where fans and players have appeared to be allowed more aggressive-expression for years. I guess the official was calling a T for something the big guy said (14 Red might have had a hand outside his vertical space and on the shooter's arm - notice the official move towards the middle of the paint in an apparent effort to see between them better).
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

This video has been on here before.

I believe this player was banned for life.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 10:31am
Do not give a damn!!

This video is over 5 years old. And if you have not noticed, Kevin Frazier has since left Fox Sports (the show is no longer on the air anyway) and went to ESPN a few years ago. He left ESPN and now he is on Entertainment Tonight. So this video is really old.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
This video has been on here before.

I believe this player was banned for life.
And he definitely wasn't French...
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 12:07pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjenning
Seems like you run greater risks outside the USA, where fans and players have appeared to be allowed more aggressive-expression for years.
What evidence do you have for this comment? Would you care to comment on the recent fights in the NBA? How about OJ Mayo?

Do you have stats that compare %ages of basketball games with fights/violence breaking out between US and non-US based venues?
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 12:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
What evidence do you have for this comment? Would you care to comment on the recent fights in the NBA? How about OJ Mayo?

Do you have stats that compare %ages of basketball games with fights/violence breaking out between US and non-US based venues?
Relax. For one there have not been very many NBA fights. There certainly did not have a fight where the authorities had to throw flares into the stands to keep order (which actually happen in a league in Europe early in the basketball season).

Also if nothing else, the type of violence that is seen across the world in their sporting events is quite different than what takes place in this country. There might be some inappropriate comments by fans, but not blatant racial slur chants and it seems like very month the fans are allowed to chase an official all over a soccer field.

I also think a lot of what he said was in jest. Even if it was not in jest, there is more riots and violence across the world. At least at the pro level hardly anything takes place in the stands.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 01:42pm

I am very familiar with this one, it is very old. Suspending a guy for life is not enough here, he should have done some serious jail time. However, this is the risk you run into working these type of leagues. These players come from basketball reject houses, where they were not good enough to play in the NBA, but still valuable because of talent or size. Somebody's always willing to take a chance (Jerry Jones). This particular player unlike many other adult players has some serious issues going on in his life and should not be on the court.

The coaches can't control these guys either. They want you to control them. So when you run into people like this, I say run, that's your best course of action. Hopefully, someone will come grab him before he lands a punch or two.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
This video is over 5 years old. And if you have not noticed, Kevin Frazier has since left Fox Sports (the show is no longer on the air anyway) and went to ESPN a few years ago. He left ESPN and now he is on Entertainment Tonight. So this video is really old.

Peace

..At least I'm getting the habit of reading the creation date on threads before responding to them!!
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 10:32pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Relax. For one there have not been very many NBA fights. They certainly did not have a fight where the authorities had to throw flares into the stands to keep order (which actually happen in a league in Europe early in the basketball season).
Ok. So there's an incident in Europe.

Quote:
Also if nothing else, the type of violence that is seen across the world in their sporting events is quite different than what takes place in this country.

There might be some inappropriate comments by fans, but not blatant racial slur chants and it seems like very month the fans are allowed to chase an official all over a soccer field.
OP specified basketball courts. Quit trying to twist things.

Quote:
I also think a lot of what he said was in jest. Even if it was not in jest, there is more riots and violence across the world. At least at the pro level hardly anything takes place in the stands.
Nope, I don't buy it. He took the time to express himself in both the title and body of the post.

Bold: in basketball? Prove it! You're talkin' outta yer a$$ too. One european incident doesn't permit blanket statements to be made.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 11:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

First of all take the stick out of your behind. No one is trying to twist anything. The comments are not even that freakin serious. I am going to assume on some level that the comments were made in jest. Let just say it was very serious, not sure that anyone here is going to be working on foreign courts anytime soon. I know I am not going oversees or even to Canada or Mexico to work a game.

Quote:
Nope, I don't buy it. He took the time to express himself in both the title and body of the post.

Bold: in basketball? Prove it! You're talkin' outta yer a$$ too. One european incident doesn't permit blanket statements to be made.
December 2006 Incident

Matter of fact this incident took place around the same time the Nuggets and the Knicks had a fight in Madison Square Garden. Based on this video the NBA fight was pretty tame. The NBA fight was just with players and police with riot gear did not need to come out to restrain the crowd. Also this was not just the only incident. I think you would agree there are many incidents oversees we do not see in America at least at the pro and college levels.

Also there was an HBO story about a year ago before the World Cup about the blatant racism going on in leagues with chants and throwing of bananas in at Black players all over Europe. And there were flags that represented certain racist groups against players. Then ESPN's "Pardon the Interruption" highlighted an incident where flares were thrown at players while the game was going on. And the comments from the hosts of the show were "For all the incidents that we have had in this country, I am glad we have not had incidents like they have over in Europe." Then there was a joke that none of the fields have to have a moat to protect the fans from the players.

Now the OP was a video of an incident I have never seen in a game at the equivalent level in this country. Now I think anyone looking at these events have the right to draw some conclusion. You do not have to agree with it but the evidence is there and live and in living color.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Thu Apr 12, 2007 at 11:20pm.
Old Fri Apr 13, 2007, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

JR

If I recall correctly, you're from Ontario?.....talk to any of the experienced FIBA officials in your region - my guess is they've all got numerous stories about how crazy things get overseas - Europe, South America, etc.

I don't think the OP's post is as nefarious as you're making it out to be.
Old Fri Apr 13, 2007, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Reasonable rebuke.

The background that goes into my perception is stories that come with being in an NBA city where many of the players hail from other parts of the world, coupled with being in close proximity to a violent border. I cannot put my hands on any global statistics but I recall when Manu Ginobili received a large contract from the Spurs he immediately had to hire personal protection for his family members in Argentina - this does not directly involve a player on the court, but certainly speaks of sports-centric violence. My understanding is that it is not out of the question for fans "across the pond or down south" to pelt players and officials with objects during a game - not saying I know factually that it happens a great deal but these are stories I recall from Spurs players recounting time on foreign courts.

Perhaps my impressions are incorrect, or not proportionally correct. You certainly were not out of line to call my statement into question and I do need better facts.

If my perceptions are entirely wrong, then perhaps a forum member from outside our borders would add to your rebuke?