View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 13, 2007, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
What evidence do you have for this comment? Would you care to comment on the recent fights in the NBA? How about OJ Mayo?

Do you have stats that compare %ages of basketball games with fights/violence breaking out between US and non-US based venues?
Reasonable rebuke.

The background that goes into my perception is stories that come with being in an NBA city where many of the players hail from other parts of the world, coupled with being in close proximity to a violent border. I cannot put my hands on any global statistics but I recall when Manu Ginobili received a large contract from the Spurs he immediately had to hire personal protection for his family members in Argentina - this does not directly involve a player on the court, but certainly speaks of sports-centric violence. My understanding is that it is not out of the question for fans "across the pond or down south" to pelt players and officials with objects during a game - not saying I know factually that it happens a great deal but these are stories I recall from Spurs players recounting time on foreign courts.

Perhaps my impressions are incorrect, or not proportionally correct. You certainly were not out of line to call my statement into question and I do need better facts.

If my perceptions are entirely wrong, then perhaps a forum member from outside our borders would add to your rebuke?