The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Say umps,
What is your interpretation of avoiding being hit by a pitch, I had a batter turn his inside shoulder in toward the plate and was hit by the ball. He made no attempt to vacate out of the batting box. Batters feet never moved either. The coach said that is the way they are training the kids.
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Ball on Batter & Batter Stays

This is one move that pisses me off umpiring baseball. If a kid does that crap I don't care what level I am umpiring, B.R. Jr. Legion, Sr. Legion, he stays in the batters box and it is ball on the batter.

Mike
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 05:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Bartman
Say umps,
What is your interpretation of avoiding being hit by a pitch, I had a batter turn his inside shoulder in toward the plate and was hit by the ball. He made no attempt to vacate out of the batting box. Batters feet never moved either. The coach said that is the way they are training the kids.
If the batter is lookin' for a way out and not for a way to first, that can work for me.

Quote:
Originally posted by SeattleMetroUmp
This is one move that pisses me off umpiring baseball. If a kid does that crap I don't care what level I am umpiring, B.R. Jr. Legion, Sr. Legion, he stays in the batters box and it is ball on the batter.
Would you have a reference for a ball call where the BR is attempting to avoid?

Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Im with Mick on this one

Inside fastball, he turns his back/side to, the batters getting first.

Looping curve/change up that he does the same thing, Hes staying in the box.
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

intent

Quote:
Say umps,
The bottom line is intent. If I think the batter tried to get hit by leaning, sticking an arm out, etc., I call it.

Simply turning into the pitch is not a reason to leave the batter in the box.

If I'm the batter I'm not going to stand there and get hit in the face with the ball.

That is correct baseball training.

But I know intent when I see it. If its a curve ball I might give the batter more leeway, but I'm also not going to reward the pitcher for a bad pitch.

Thanks
David
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Say umps,
If he leans into a pitch he stays, otherwise he goes. I don't see a lot of guys lean into one so I send a lot of guys to 1B.
Old Thu Jun 23, 2005, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

aevans410

A curve is the time to turn on the pitch. A good hitter will stride, read the curve, wait for the break, and react to the pitch.

Usually there is no time to back out from a breaking ball. Thats why you roll with it.
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Re: Ball on Batter & Batter Stays

Quote:

Mike
Do you belong to NBUA?
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Well,

It matters . . .

As you all probably know (i.e. old news) the NFHS is considering bringing the HBP rule in line with the NCAA.

The change being considered is that if the batter is hit by pitch and the ball is located inside the batter's box then the hitter does not need to make an attempt to get out of the way.

This would mean, that similar to NCAA, a hitter could turn and let a ball hit him and if the occurance was inside the batter's box it would by HBP.

Now I personally ONLY refuse to award the base on HBP if a batter ATTEMPTS to be hit. Turning the shoulder is fine for me.

Unlike SeattleMetroUmp my association understands the game of baseball.

Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whatgameyouwatchinblue
aevans410

A curve is the time to turn on the pitch. A good hitter will stride, read the curve, wait for the break, and react to the pitch.

Usually there is no time to back out from a breaking ball. Thats why you roll with it.
I should have been more clear, I mean a big looping curve that the batte turns a shoulder into intentionally to get hit. My illustration was intended to describe a hitter turning into a fastball for protection rather than turning into a pitch for a free base. I won't penalize a hitter for hanging in on a good quality.
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Agree with Allen

I agree with Allen on this one. That's all I'm saying. Hey getting beaned with a fastball is one thing, but a change, curve, or a slide piece is another.

Mike
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Agree with Allen

Quote:
I agree with Allen on this one. That's all I'm saying. Hey getting beaned with a fastball is one thing, but a change, curve, or a slide piece is another.

Mike
Actually, if the batter is waiting out the curve, he's even more justified in getting first without a real attempt to avoid.

Again, SeattleMetro, do you belong to NBUA?
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

And as answered,

If a hitter ATTEMPTS to get hit (intent) that changes the rules.

The speed of the pitch has NOTHING to do with giving the base.

Again, contrary to SeattleMetro, who is failing to answer GrathB's question.
Old Fri Jun 24, 2005, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Agree with Allen

Quote:

Mike
By rule there is no difference in the two.

An old umpire said "I know a strike when I see one" and a veteran umpire will say "I know when a batter gets hit on purpose."

The type of pitch in reality has nothing to do with it, I mentioned that as a guide for young umpires who might be reading. (and for guys umpiring guys who don't shave)

Thanks
David

Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Not an NBUA Member

Garth I do both umpiring (fastpitch and baseball). I do fastpitch up in Seattle for Seattle Metro Softball Umpires Assoc. and then I do 80% baseball in Centralia, Chehalis, etc. for Twin City Umpires Assoc. Right now I'm not a member of NBUA for no reason other than I just have not joined, but I probably will next year once the season gets going in earnest.

Mike