The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Talking Heads, Redux

Anyone want to discuss the Don Imus comments?
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
No, because 1) it has been discussed ad nauseum and 2) I don't want to be offended again, on any level.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanFitzRef
No, because 1) it has been discussed ad nauseum and 2) I don't want to be offended again, on any level.

that's cool. I'm just surprised that no one has brought it up, but you've got good points.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 02:05pm
In Memoriam

It's my impression that Forum policy is to keep away from racial stuff. I agree with that policy btw.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 02:12pm
Esteemed Participant

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...adlines-nation

Imus is an idiot, and I am tremedously impressed with these young ladies at Rutgers because of the way they are carrying themselves through this situation!
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 03:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I quit listening to Imus after I got out of college; probably because I didn't find his stuff funny any more. Personally, I didn't even know he was still on the air.
However, I will say this whole thing has brought up questions that I'm not comfortable asking in public.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I quit listening to Imus after I got out of college; probably because I didn't find his stuff funny any more. Personally, I didn't even know he was still on the air.
However, I will say this whole thing has brought up questions that I'm not comfortable asking in public.
Questions like, why is it OK for some people to use that kind of language, but not for others? Yeah, me either.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 03:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

No, believe it or not, I get that (even if I don't necessarily agree with it.) My question springs from ignorance, though, with severity and nature of the actual term used.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...adlines-nation

Imus is an idiot, and I am tremedously impressed with these young ladies at Rutgers because of the way they are carrying themselves through this situation!
Agreed on Imus, but I'm not as impressed with the Rutgers crew. Don't get me wrong, they have a right to be upset. However, I honestly believe that their response was completely predictable and it's all been said before.

Quote:
Our moment was taken away -- our moment to celebrate our success, our moment to realize how far we had come, both on and off the court, as young women. . .We were stripped of this moment by degrading comments made by Mr. Imus last Wednesday."
Not true. Nothing was taken away, and nobody takes anything away from you because of what Imus said. You were not stripped of anything other than what you allowed someone to take from you.

Quote:
"What hurts the most about this situation is that Mr. Imus knows not one of us personally."
I doubt that. I bet if he knew you personally and made those comments, it would have hurt you more. The fact that he doesn't know you personally should give you all the more reason to dismiss his inane, idiotic comments.

I realize these are just college girls, and they are reacting with the immaturity expected of someone at their station in life. I would have loved to see them come forward and say, "The comments of a small person who does not know the first thing about us are not enough to cause strong women like us to buckle at the knees. The more he speaks, the more he betrays his ignorance, and it doesn't affect us in the least!"
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, believe it or not, I get that (even if I don't necessarily agree with it.) My question springs from ignorance, though, with severity and nature of the actual term used.
The problem is, ask 20 people in either the black or white community what is meant by the term, and you'll get 20 different explanations.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow
Agreed on Imus, but I'm not as impressed with the Rutgers crew. Don't get me wrong, they have a right to be upset. However, I honestly believe that their response was completely predictable and it's all been said before.
So you expected an original and completely unpredictable response to some past his prime blow-hard calling them nappy headed ho?

Imus stopped being funny in the 80's.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 04:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow
The problem is, ask 20 people in either the black or white community what is meant by the term, and you'll get 20 different explanations.
That's my point. With the outcry, you'd think he'd dropped an N-bomb or something; and it makes me wonder what they'd be asking for if he had. Asking that he be fired seems a bit hard. That said, I really don't know what he term means or understand why it's so hurtful. I'm not saying it's not, I just don't understand. My previous understanding of the term would have led me to believe it was a mildly offensive term for which a two-week suspension would be appropriate.
Maybe combining it with "ho's" sent it over the top. Well, I hadn't planned on going public with this. I'll blame Juulie.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's my point. With the outcry, you'd think he'd dropped an N-bomb or something; and it makes me wonder what they'd be asking for if he had. Asking that he be fired seems a bit hard. That said, I really don't know what he term means or understand why it's so hurtful. I'm not saying it's not, I just don't understand. My previous understanding of the term would have led me to believe it was a mildly offensive term for which a two-week suspension would be appropriate.
Maybe combining it with "ho's" sent it over the top. Well, I hadn't planned on going public with this. I'll blame Juulie.
Hey, I practically dared you!
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Juulie, read above as to why I didn't want to discuss this. I can't type enough words to educate someone on this topic, and it'll only lead to an argument.
Old Tue Apr 10, 2007, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanFitzRef
Juulie, read above as to why I didn't want to discuss this. I can't type enough words to educate someone on this topic,