The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Talking Heads, Redux (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/33574-talking-heads-redux.html)

rainmaker Tue Apr 10, 2007 01:45pm

Talking Heads, Redux

Anyone want to discuss the Don Imus comments?

SeanFitzRef Tue Apr 10, 2007 01:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker

No, because 1) it has been discussed ad nauseum and 2) I don't want to be offended again, on any level.

rainmaker Tue Apr 10, 2007 01:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanFitzRef
No, because 1) it has been discussed ad nauseum and 2) I don't want to be offended again, on any level.

that's cool. I'm just surprised that no one has brought it up, but you've got good points.

Jurassic Referee Tue Apr 10, 2007 02:05pm

It's my impression that Forum policy is to keep away from racial stuff. I agree with that policy btw.

rockyroad Tue Apr 10, 2007 02:12pm

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...adlines-nation

Imus is an idiot, and I am tremedously impressed with these young ladies at Rutgers because of the way they are carrying themselves through this situation!

Adam Tue Apr 10, 2007 03:39pm

I quit listening to Imus after I got out of college; probably because I didn't find his stuff funny any more. Personally, I didn't even know he was still on the air.
However, I will say this whole thing has brought up questions that I'm not comfortable asking in public.

mplagrow Tue Apr 10, 2007 03:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I quit listening to Imus after I got out of college; probably because I didn't find his stuff funny any more. Personally, I didn't even know he was still on the air.
However, I will say this whole thing has brought up questions that I'm not comfortable asking in public.

Questions like, why is it OK for some people to use that kind of language, but not for others? Yeah, me either.

Adam Tue Apr 10, 2007 03:49pm

No, believe it or not, I get that (even if I don't necessarily agree with it.) My question springs from ignorance, though, with severity and nature of the actual term used.

mplagrow Tue Apr 10, 2007 03:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...adlines-nation

Imus is an idiot, and I am tremedously impressed with these young ladies at Rutgers because of the way they are carrying themselves through this situation!

Agreed on Imus, but I'm not as impressed with the Rutgers crew. Don't get me wrong, they have a right to be upset. However, I honestly believe that their response was completely predictable and it's all been said before.

Quote:

Our moment was taken away -- our moment to celebrate our success, our moment to realize how far we had come, both on and off the court, as young women. . .We were stripped of this moment by degrading comments made by Mr. Imus last Wednesday."
Not true. Nothing was taken away, and nobody takes anything away from you because of what Imus said. You were not stripped of anything other than what you allowed someone to take from you.

Quote:

"What hurts the most about this situation is that Mr. Imus knows not one of us personally."
I doubt that. I bet if he knew you personally and made those comments, it would have hurt you more. The fact that he doesn't know you personally should give you all the more reason to dismiss his inane, idiotic comments.

I realize these are just college girls, and they are reacting with the immaturity expected of someone at their station in life. I would have loved to see them come forward and say, "The comments of a small person who does not know the first thing about us are not enough to cause strong women like us to buckle at the knees. The more he speaks, the more he betrays his ignorance, and it doesn't affect us in the least!"

mplagrow Tue Apr 10, 2007 03:56pm

Quote:

No, believe it or not, I get that (even if I don't necessarily agree with it.) My question springs from ignorance, though, with severity and nature of the actual term used.

The problem is, ask 20 people in either the black or white community what is meant by the term, and you'll get 20 different explanations.

Dan_ref Tue Apr 10, 2007 04:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mplagrow
Agreed on Imus, but I'm not as impressed with the Rutgers crew. Don't get me wrong, they have a right to be upset. However, I honestly believe that their response was completely predictable and it's all been said before.

So you expected an original and completely unpredictable response to some past his prime blow-hard calling them nappy headed ho?

Imus stopped being funny in the 80's.

Adam Tue Apr 10, 2007 04:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mplagrow
The problem is, ask 20 people in either the black or white community what is meant by the term, and you'll get 20 different explanations.

That's my point. With the outcry, you'd think he'd dropped an N-bomb or something; and it makes me wonder what they'd be asking for if he had. Asking that he be fired seems a bit hard. That said, I really don't know what he term means or understand why it's so hurtful. I'm not saying it's not, I just don't understand. My previous understanding of the term would have led me to believe it was a mildly offensive term for which a two-week suspension would be appropriate.
Maybe combining it with "ho's" sent it over the top. Well, I hadn't planned on going public with this. I'll blame Juulie. :)

mplagrow Tue Apr 10, 2007 04:10pm

Quote:

That's my point. With the outcry, you'd think he'd dropped an N-bomb or something; and it makes me wonder what they'd be asking for if he had. Asking that he be fired seems a bit hard. That said, I really don't know what he term means or understand why it's so hurtful. I'm not saying it's not, I just don't understand. My previous understanding of the term would have led me to believe it was a mildly offensive term for which a two-week suspension would be appropriate.
Maybe combining it with "ho's" sent it over the top. Well, I hadn't planned on going public with this. I'll blame Juulie. :)

Hey, I practically dared you!

SeanFitzRef Tue Apr 10, 2007 04:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker

Juulie, read above as to why I didn't want to discuss this. I can't type enough words to educate someone on this topic, and it'll only lead to an argument.

mplagrow Tue Apr 10, 2007 05:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanFitzRef
Juulie, read above as to why I didn't want to discuss this. I can't type enough words to educate someone on this topic,

http://www.steveyun.com/pics/Condescending.jpg