The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Screen video part 2

Sorry for dragging this into another thread. Here is the real time clip of the previous video from the beginning of the play thru the report to the table.

The hot assistant getting the stop sign is MrsCoachP, so be nice.

real time screen.wmv
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

I wasn't sure at slow speed, but at full speed, this is definately a legal screen.

While blue #40 does give a bit of a hip bump to the gold player, I think it's part of her normal motion and she does a good job of stopping upon contact. Legal play all around to me.
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 10:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

This was very legal and not any contact I would call on a screen. Then again this looks like kiddy ball on the girls side and when they look at each many officials seem to call a foul.

Secondly, I do not know that the official even gave the stop sign. If that might have been more of a "sit down" motion rather than a stop sign.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 11, 2007, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
Clean screen. That asst. coach looks cute i wish i could see her face
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

ART. 5 . . . When screening a moving opponent, the screener must allow the opponent time and distance to avoid contact. The distance need not be more than two strides.

100% illegal screen, and certainly not enough contact to call a foul on the defender had it been a legal screen.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
ART. 5 . . . When screening a moving opponent, the screener must allow the opponent time and distance to avoid contact. The distance need not be more than two strides.

100% illegal screen, and certainly not enough contact to call a foul on the defender had it been a legal screen.
Are you referring to the h.s. book? In NCAA it's no more than a step.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 02:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRef21
Are you referring to the h.s. book? In NCAA it's no more than a step.
That is the NFHS rules and the defender clearly didn't take 2 strides, I don't think she took one so it's an illegal screen under NCAA rules too.

In either case the contact wasn't enough to even have a call.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 02:17am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP
Sorry for dragging this into another thread. Here is the real time clip of the previous video from the beginning of the play thru the report to the table.

The hot assistant getting the stop sign is MrsCoachP, so be nice.

real time screen.wmv
Looks like a no call to me...
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 05:18am
In Memoriam

Quote:

I disagree with your call and the rules assumption that you used to make it. Two strides is a maximum under NFHS rule 4-40-5, not a minimum. What you didn't mention or account for was that the distance allowed by the screener may legally be less than 2 strides. It can be ONE step by rule. NFHS rule 10-6-3(c)--"A player who screens shall not take a position so close to a moving opponent that this opponent cannot avoid contact by stopping or changing direction. The speed of the player to be screened will determine where the screener may take his/her stationary position. This position will vary and may be ONE or two normal steps or strides from the opponent."

In the video, the screener definitely gave a step imo, and the player being screened wasn't running at full speed either, necessitating 2 strides to be given. It's a completely legal screen with a no-call for the contact. No-brainer imo.

Btw, the NCAA rule is the same as the NFHS rule. NCAA rules 4-57AR101 and 10-22AR220 both say "one OR two strides".

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Thu Apr 12, 2007 at 05:32am.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 05:37am
In Memoriam

Quote:
That is the NFHS rules and the defender clearly didn't take 2 strides, I don't think she took one so it's an illegal screen under NCAA rules too.
Again, two strides aren't mandatory under NFHS rules. The call is determined partially by the speed that the player being screened is moving. If the player being screened is not running at full speed, one stride allowed may be both sufficient and legal. The FED rules citation is above. See case book play 10-6-3SitC also.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRef21
Clean screen. That asst. coach looks cute i wish i could see her face
Not at that point in the clip you didn't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Then again this looks like kiddy ball on the girls side and when they look at each many officials seem to call a foul.
This is Varsity.....allbeit not AAA.....there are hoops in places other than big cities!

.......and I have no clue what the second half of your sentence was trying to say!
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

I have viewed this video many times also, pausing it when I think the feet yellow 14 are set. I then look at the position of blue 40 and her feet at that point. In every case where I pause, B40 is in the middle of her step and when she finishes that step, the contact occurs. Originally, I thought this was a no call. The more I think about it, I am inclined to call an illegal screen. I do not think B40 had time or distance to react to the blind screen and the contact cause an advantage for the offense.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

I don't have audio capability at work, but it appears the official is calling a pushing foul on blue #40. So, the ref in the video apparently thought the screen was legal and blue #40 was trying to push through...is this interpretation of the clip correct?

From the perspective of the camera, the screen looked clean and the contact looked incidental. I'd like to think I would "no-call" this, but I would be more inclined to understand a blocking call on gold #14. IF the foul call was on blue...then I guess gold really sold it!
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMOzebra
I don't have audio capability at work, but it appears the official is calling a pushing foul on blue #40. So, the ref in the video apparently thought the screen was legal and blue #40 was trying to push through...is this interpretation of the clip correct?

From the perspective of the camera, the screen looked clean and the contact looked incidental. I'd like to think I would "no-call" this, but I would be more inclined to understand a blocking call on gold #14. IF the foul call was on blue...then I guess gold really sold it!
The call made was a push on blue #40.

Looks like I am running about 15-16 people going with no call.
About 7 illegal screens.
Nobody saw a foul on #40 blue as of yet.

Thanks for all the input. I am now getting a better understanding from all the discussions on how to teach this sitch.

Which is BTW, in Michigan, girls are switching from Fall to Winter next season.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2007, 10:38am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP
This is Varsity.....allbeit not AAA.....there are hoops in places other than big cities!
If this is varsity ball, then these are some very small looking players. I am not sure I understand the "big city" reference. You obviously have not seen basketball in many rural areas. They are just as big if not bigger on the girl's side in rural parts than in the city.

And think you for reminding me why I do not work girl’s basketball.

Peace