The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 06, 2001, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Call the level of the game

A lot of this discussion boils down to common sense on the part of the official. If you're doing a higher level game where the players can move the ball, make a post move, etc. don't give any verbals, just call the game. If you're doing a middle school game where the players have no clue whether they're on offense or defense, you're there to educate them as much as officiate them. When A is standing in the key with their hands at their waist looking lost, a simple "Clear the key!" might spur them to look down at their feet and let the gears turn until a neuron fires somewhere and says "Oh. I'd better move."

Also, if there is no advantage gained, why stop the game? The point was well made about calling the violation when the pass is received in the key. 1 2 3 4 pass into the key... tweet (especially for a lower level).

I'm sure, however, that there are a wide variety of philosophies regarding this. So, I would conclude with the standard advice to bring it up in pregame and organizational training so that there is some semblance of uniformity throughout the game and season.

[Edited by physicsref on Dec 6th, 2001 at 03:39 PM]