View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 06, 2001, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Make the call

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle

Lastly, remember that when a player legally gets the ball in the lane, the count is suspended until the player does something with the ball. That is, they can fake and dribble and eventually take a shot without the violation being called. However, if after taking excessive time in the paint, they then pass the ball out to a teammate, the call should be made immediately.
You're going to get a lot of argument about this. The rulebook says "Allowance shall be made for a player who, having been in the restricted area for less than tree seconds, dribbles in or moves to try for goal."

That doesn't sound to me like he is allowed to fake then dribble around then fake again then turn then put a shot up "eventually". It sounds to me like the count is at 2, he catches a pass, you count to three, he dribbles to the hoop for a layup. I don't think you give him 10 seconds in the lane to make his shot, whether he passes it out or not. If he doesn't move to the basket immediately after I get to 3, then it's a violation.

Chuck