The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 11:20am
Do not give a damn!!

I am going to say this and it will be unpopular.

I think calling this would be the utmost of being technical. For one I cannot believe that this was not addressed either in pre-game with the officials or in some kind of conference during the tournament. I think Oden is so strong that his momentum is what allowed him swing the way he does. He has dunked like this all year and no one has deemed it a T. If it was deemed that way, it would have been called. Maybe the rules committee will give an interpretation that makes this illegal, but we cannot look at this through the eyes of HS officials. This was not a HS game. Things are different at the college level whether we like it or not. I work a lot of college baseball and what is expected at the college level does not translate to HS ball. And many of the rules are exactly the same. Philosophies are quite different.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge

I think calling this would be the utmost of being technical. For one I cannot believe that this was not addressed either in pre-game with the officials or in some kind of conference during the tournament. I think Oden is so strong that his momentum is what allowed him swing the way he does. He has dunked like this all year and no one has deemed it a T. If it was deemed that way, it would have been called. Maybe the rules committee will give an interpretation that makes this illegal, but we cannot look at this through the eyes of HS officials. This was not a HS game. Things are different at the college level whether we like it or not. I work a lot of college baseball and what is expected at the college level does not translate to HS ball. And many of the rules are exactly the same. Philosophies are quite different.

Peace
I'm okay with the swinging due to momentum. I'm even okay with the swinging, then hang and turn to see what's behind or below him. BUT, if he pulls up and then slap the backboard, that's an easy one for me.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
Good post. I completely understand why it was not called, but as an official I would like to see it called at the upper levels to show players that it is illegal. I was the same with Noah throwing 2 hands at an official after a foul call. I get why it wasn't called in that game, I just wish for the betterment of basketball that it was.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 11:29am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
I'm okay with the swinging due to momentum. I'm even okay with the swinging, then hang and turn to see what's behind or below him. BUT, if he pulls up and then slap the backboard, that's an easy one for me.
It is obvious that no one working any of the games agrees with your point of view on this. It was not called for a reason. I guarantee you this was addressed over the entire season and tournament. He did it in just about every game. I know I cannot remember a single game I saw him play where this very same motion did not take place. I even saw 3 games live in the United Center. So you can say this is what happen, the reality is they did not agree with your assessment, it was not called.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is obvious that no one working any of the games agrees with your point of view on this. It was not called for a reason. I guarantee you this was addressed over the entire season and tournament. He did it in just about every game. I know I cannot remember a single game I saw him play where this very same motion did not take place. I even saw 3 games live in the United Center. So you can say this is what happen, the reality is they did not agree with your assessment, it was not called.

Peace
And that's why they're there and I'm here. All I can say is IF, in my game, and yes it's a HS game, the kid does a pull-up, then commences to slap the backboard after that, he's probably going to get whacked.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 11:39am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Good post. I completely understand why it was not called, but as an official I would like to see it called at the upper levels to show players that it is illegal. I was the same with Noah throwing 2 hands at an official after a foul call. I get why it wasn't called in that game, I just wish for the betterment of basketball that it was.
You cannot look towards what the NCAA does as an example of what happens at other levels. If players and coaches do, they are playing a dumb game. Every experience that I have with working college or being around officials that work higher level college, they do not officiate with "HS eyes." I belong to an association where there are many D1 and Big Ten Officials on the football side. It is clear their philosophies are not in the same lexicon of what we do at the HS level. We even butt heads with many college officials because they want to bring college philosophies down to the HS game. I am only saying that there is a reality here. I am not saying this would not be called or should not be called at the HS level. I am saying that someone has looked at this and decided it has not passed the smell test.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 11:41am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
And that's why they're there and I'm here. All I can say is IF, in my game, and yes it's a HS game, the kid does a pull-up, then commences to slap the backboard after that, he's probably going to get whacked.
That is why you get paid the big bucks.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That is why you get paid the big bucks.

Peace
Yeah, that's why I do this.. all that cash! I drive my wife crazy when she hears me say I would do it for free.

Now AAU & wreck ball, I do for the $$$ to pay for the camps that help me to become better in the games that I would do for free. Go figure.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 11:48am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Good post. I completely understand why it was not called, but as an official I would like to see it called at the upper levels to show players that it is illegal.
I agree with this completely, including that JRut's post was was very good.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Quote:

Peace
I agree with JoeTheRef on his point. Doing a chin-up & slapping the backboard should be automatic. I am from the Indy area, and Oden did this in HS too...and no one would call it here either! It's hard to blow the whistle when your jaw is on the floor.

Needless to say, I never got the chance to call it. I was asked 4 times to do his games but had contracts for other games.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Ref12
The officials, for whatever reason, have been allowing him to do it all tournament. In an earlier game (Sweet 16 or 2nd round, can't remember), he pulled himself up AND slapped the the backboard with two hands. No call.

Curious.
Not only that...on one occassion he pulled up so far that his FOOT hit the backboard. There is NO chance that was from momentum or for safety. What he was doing was a complete and clear violation of the rules...and a rule that I've seen called against many others.