The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.80 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 02:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Without the juice? 600. His career was undoubtedly prolonged, just as Clemens' was.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 02:24pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Without the juice? 600. His career was undoubtedly prolonged, just as Clemens' was.
I would say closer to 650. But you didn't say anything about how many he would have if they pitched to him.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 02:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
I would say closer to 650. But you didn't say anything about how many he would have if they pitched to him.
Sorry, I was adding a caveat to your question, not taking away from it. Without juice, if they'd pitched to him, I'd say 600 (maybe as high as 650, but it's a guess).

I won't speculate on if they'd pitched to him and he was still on the juice.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 02:34pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
I won't speculate on if they'd pitched to him and he was still on the juice.
So you can speculate on something that proves your argument, but not something that doesn't? Wow, way to have a conversation/argument. I at least looked at his numbers to give my guess, you just don't want to try. I would assume it is because you don't like him and/or you know your number would have to be about the same as mine.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 03:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
So you can speculate on something that proves your argument, but not something that doesn't? Wow, way to have a conversation/argument. I at least looked at his numbers to give my guess, you just don't want to try. I would assume it is because you don't like him and/or you know your number would have to be about the same as mine.
Not at all. I've always felt a certain amount of sympathy for him, to be honest, for all the crap he's taken from the media. I never bought the media caricature of him.

And it's not that I didn't want to try to look at his numbers; I'm at work and was going off the top of my head. I'm willing to concede that my number might move closer to yours if I took a closer look at his numbers.

Oh, and yep.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
JR, I feel the way I do about Bonds because I have actually met him and made my opinion based on how he treated me.
Yes, how Bonds treats people is an excellent source upon which to base your opinion. But perhaps you might consider that there are other people in the world in addition to you. I'm glad he treated you well. I'm confident that there are other people who have been treated well by Bonds. Bonds, like all humans, is no doubt a complex person with good and bad traits, good and bad days, etc.

If I met Phil Spector and he treated me well should I think well of him despite the large mountain of evidence that he treated many, many women incredibly poorly (even if you don't think he killed Ms. Clarkson)? If I met Curtis Granderson and he was short with me should I think ill of him despite the large mountain of evidence that he treats people with generosity, respect and dignity?

O.K., forget how Bonds treats people in the media. (Although, to be fair, if you are going to think of athletes as mere humans shouldn't you also think of journalists as humans? If someone in the media treated his father poorly, should Bonds stereotype ALL journalists and treat them all ill? Or is it an acceptable standard of decency to treat people as individuals? If Mike Winters treated me nicely when I met him at a baseball camp, should I whine at the media criticism of his out-of-line conduct? Or when he makes a mistake should I dislike all umpires? But I digress....) Yes, forget how Bonds treats the media. How does he treat his fellow players? How did he treat Gary Sheffield? What would prompt Sheffield to state: "I never wished anything bad on [Bonds]. I want him to achieve what he wants to achieve, but what I want more is that his life gets right. That he can have compassion for other people. And that's what I want the most."?
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 03:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I certainly think there are better authorities we could use for Bonds' character than Gary Sheffield. I wouldn't rest any opinion, on anything, on what Sheffield thinks.

I most definitely think there are better comparisons you could have made to Bonds than a serial rapist. That's just….
Good grief.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
You need to get out more too. Maybe read Mike Lupica's column at the NY Daily News, for example. He went after Pettitte big time. And he sureasheck wasn't the only one.
I try to avoid Loopy since he moved to the front of the paper. Maybe I'm putting too much stock in what I hear on Sports Radio.

BTW, an interesting (or at least one that agrees with me) take on steroids not working - in the North Lake Tahoe Bonanza - http://www.tahoebonanza.com/article/...03031/-1/rss03
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I wouldn't rest any opinion, on anything, on what Sheffield thinks.
Of course you don't respect Sheffield - you probably don't like him either. It's probably because your opinion has been formed by the media.

Would you still feel that way if I told you that Sheffield was very nice to my son when signing a baseball at Comerica Park?

And, just for the record, I didn't compare Bonds to Spector (just as I didn't compare Bonds to Granderson). I did compare the lunacy of basing one's opinion on how a person treats you (to the exclusion of other people) to the lunacy of basing one's opinion on how a person treats you (to the exclusion of other people).
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 03:48pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I'm not going to have my opinion shaped by some interview when I met the man for myself.

Picking one, two, ten or twenty media sources to compare to all the media out to get Bonds isn't accurate. I also don't have the time to scour so many papers, sites etc. The witch hunt has been on for some time and unfortunately one of the fan-favorites got caught with his pants down.
Are you saying that all of the media people that are dissing Mr. PotatoHead have never met him? I hate to break it to you, but the media reports that I've read almost completely agree that the man is a world-class dickhead after meeting and associating with him.

If you don't have the time to check out more than a few media sources, but you're also saying that picking a few media sources to compare to all the media out to get Bonds isn't accurate, then how can your statement that the media is out to get Bonds be accurate? And what basis do you have to conclude that the media is actually shaping the publics' opininon of Bonds other than your fanboy admiration of him?

The man is a 'roid monster and a liar imo. Btw, imo so is Clemens and a whole bunch of other MLB players. None of them are getting a free ride in the media either. The media is accurately reporting what they did.

You're giving your opinion. That I respect, even though I completely disagree with it.
Old Thu Dec 27, 2007, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
From ESPN. com:

Quote:
Mark Prior, cut loose by the Cubs earlier this month, has agreed to terms with the San Diego Padres.

In 2003, Mark Prior went 18-6 with a 2.43 ERA, was selected to the All-Star Game and finished third in the Cy Young voting. He has won just 18 games in 57 starts since.

Prior receives a one-year major league deal with a $1 million base salary. The contract, which doesn't include an option, contains incentive clauses that could take the total value of the deal to over $3 million. Prior, however, is not anticipating his season debut with the Padres until mid-to-late May.

"Mark Prior is a competitor and is working hard to regain the form that made him one of the great young pitchers in the game," general manager Kevin Towers told The Associated Press. "We are confident he is going to help us in our rotation this season. It's exciting that Mark is coming home to San Diego to pitch for the Padres."

Prior, 27, last pitched in the big leagues in 2006, and had shoulder surgery in April of 2007.

Prior figures he still has much of his career ahead of him if he can avoid injuries.
The last sentence is, of course, the biggest problem for him.

Does this mean that JR will stop mocking the Cubbies and start in on the Pads?
Old Thu Dec 27, 2007, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
From ESPN. com:

Of course not - the Cubbies still have Kerry Wood.

A couple of Prior's injuries were not actually pitching-related. One time he injured his shoulder trying to leap-frog a second baseman while running the bases, and another time his elbow was hit by a line drive. Wood's injuries have all been pitching-related.

Now, if there's any way we can ship that damn goat out to San Diego....

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Dec 27, 2007, 04:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias

No, it means Prior's career is on the up-swing.
Old Thu Dec 27, 2007, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Now, if there's any way we can ship that damn goat out to San Diego....
Hmmm, I didn't see anything about "a player to be named later....."

Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 03:18pm
In Memoriam

Post Oh, my!

The Tigers' bank seems far from broken, though. Once upon a time, they couldn't have envisioned being as financially competitive as they are now. Then again, once upon a time, $11.3 million also would have vaulted Cabrera to the top of anyone's payroll.
Not so anymore.
Instead of being the highest-paid Tiger in 2008, Cabrera will be the fifth-highest. Magglio Ordonez leads the way at $15 million. Gary Sheffield will make $14 million, Pudge Rodriguez $13 million and Carlos Guillen $12 million.